News

Vaping sting: PPD cites retailers for selling tobacco products to underage decoy

Police hope four businesses learn lesson, retrain staff to avoid repeat offenses

Pleasanton police issued citations to four local businesses for allegedly selling vaping tobacco products to an underage decoy during a special enforcement operation that tested all licensed tobacco retailers in the city.

In addition to checking whether the retailer would sell flavored tobacco or e-cigarettes to someone under 21 years old, officers also inspected each of the 29 businesses to make sure they had required signs posted about not selling to underage people and confirmed that each had a valid tobacco license, according to Lt. Maria Munayer.

The department declined to publicly identify the four businesses cited for violations.

"We are not releasing the names of the businesses at this time," Munayer told the Weekly. "The business owners are being held to account for selling tobacco products to an underage decoy. We acknowledge their need for privacy as they focus their immediate attention on retraining staff to avoid repeat offenses in the future."

The department conducted the sting operation Aug. 12 and 13, motivated by the increasing popularity of vaping among youth in the Tri-Valley and nationwide, according to Munayer.

Plain-clothed police officers from the special enforcement unit accompanied underage decoys for site visits at the 29 tobacco retailers, where the decoy attempted to buy flavored tobacco or e-cigarettes, she said.

While a majority of the Pleasanton retailers followed the law and did not sell to the decoy, four businesses were caught and cited for selling or furnishing tobacco to a person under 21, according to Munayer.

"We will continue to proactively address the illegal sales and purchase of flavored tobacco and e-cigarettes through similar sting operations," the lieutenant said. "In partnership with the Pleasanton Unified School District, we are committed to the health and safety of the youth in our community and will be steadfast in our efforts to increase awareness about the harmfulness of vaping."

What is community worth to you?
Support local journalism.

Comments

6 people like this
Posted by Vigy
a resident of Walnut Grove Elementary School
on Aug 20, 2019 at 10:19 am

Vigy is a registered user.

Name them darnit.

1 person likes this
Posted by DKHSK
a resident of Bridle Creek
on Aug 20, 2019 at 10:41 am

DKHSK is a registered user.

Cigarettes: legal
Marijuana: legal
Alcohol: legal
Vaping: OMG!!!!!!!!

I don't smoke but both parents did and they paid the price at very young ages.

It is beyond comprehension why vaping is vilified and tobacco and marijuana are tolerated. It is VAPOR! It isn't some combustible that will darken your lungs.

There needs to be more studies done, but if you're going to site VAPOR as being hazardous to health, then my time sitting in the steam bath at a large gym here in town might put me at risk.

Seriously, I spend at least an hour each day alternating between the steam and dry baths and that is way more than people spend sucking down vape.

Get a grip.

Web Link

Exactly, Get a grip.

8 people like this
Posted by Tsugita1
a resident of Danbury Park
on Aug 20, 2019 at 11:06 am

Tsugita1 is a registered user.

DKHSK - before you have a panic attack, you should actually read the article. It did not say that selling vaping tobacco products is illegal. It said that selling vaping tobacco products to UNDERAGED (under 21) individuals is illegal. Just as selling Cigarettes and Alcohol to UNDERAGED (under 21) individuals is illegal.

You might want to read up on teens going to the hospital for lung problems directly attributed to vaping. I might have missed it but I have not seen many articles about Steam leading to teen hospitalizations.

Like this comment
Posted by Tsugita1
a resident of Danbury Park
on Aug 20, 2019 at 11:09 am

Tsugita1 is a registered user.

DKHSK - I forgot to mention that I am very sorry for your loss of your parents at an early age.

3 people like this
Posted by Pleasanton Parent
a resident of Pleasanton Meadows
on Aug 20, 2019 at 8:10 pm

Dkhsk,
Reading comprehension, vaping is legal if you're of legal age. The article cites the issue is businesses selling to minors which is illegal for all the items you pointed to.

And vaping is not just water vapor, nicotine and other chemicals are making their way into those flavored cartridges/refills.

And personally, my opinion, it makes you look stupid. Although in todays day and age, if you want to identify as a steam engine I guess we are supposed to be accepting of that self identity.

3 people like this
Posted by Bill
a resident of Pleasanton Heights
on Aug 20, 2019 at 10:36 pm

Since when are citations private record?

2 people like this
Posted by John
a resident of Amador Estates
on Aug 21, 2019 at 5:59 am

Selling any tobacco product to under 21 is illegal and I am glad the Pleasanton PD is doing this, they should do it more often. But the problem here not the local retailers who sells tobacco, the main problem is online, most of the kids are buying E- cigarettes online, the trend in Pleasanton now a days is these kids are buying a credit cards from Safeway and purchasing E-cigarettes online, my kids told me about this last month, these websites do not have any age verification including eBay. Fixing the problem is stoping these websites from selling our kids these products. I am not against E-cigarettes for adults if it makes them quit cigarettes.

2 people like this
Posted by Jackson
a resident of Amberwood/Wood Meadows
on Aug 21, 2019 at 6:06 am

If Pleasanton trying to ban e cigarettes it will be the end for me here, if you want to ban e cigarette you should ban cigarettes and tobacco all at ones, e cigarettes has helped me to quit the nasty cigarettes which made me feel a lot better, California has raised The age to 21 years old, I think this should be enough, in the same time I am happy that PPD doing this to protect the kids from getting access to these products.

2 people like this
Posted by Maria
on Aug 21, 2019 at 6:07 am

I know this business from the picture, it is master chief in first street

2 people like this
Posted by buklau
a resident of Avila
on Aug 22, 2019 at 2:37 am

Cigarettes are legal in every pharmacy CVS and grocery store. Meanwhile sheep old people freaking out about vaping while they slam down alcohol. They might as well be indirect stooges for the tobacco lobbying groups.

4 people like this
Posted by rakesh
a resident of California Somerset
on Aug 22, 2019 at 2:39 am

"Oh no, teenagers vaping! Back in my day I only got drunk and puffed up cigarettes!!!"

Like this comment
Posted by Concerned Parent
a resident of Pleasanton Middle School
on Aug 22, 2019 at 1:04 pm

My daughter just entered Jr High - and on the news I am hearing about kids vaping IN CLASS. I have heard from friends at other schools where they avoid certain bathrooms due to the weed smell. Now I was no saint back in HS, but I would NEVER smoke a cigarette/weed in class, let alone on campus. The logic that kids will be kids is flawed here. We do not know the long term effects of vaping and I do NOT want my kids in this type of environment. Nicotine sucks - smoking killed my grandma, and it took me 5 years to truly kick the habit.

Grip Gotten...

Like this comment
Posted by 7ty
a resident of Canyon Creek
on Aug 22, 2019 at 4:50 pm

"It is beyond comprehension why vaping is vilified and tobacco and marijuana are tolerated."

DKHSK - Apparently you are new to CA. Tobacco is not tolerated. There are very few spots where you can actually smoke.

Do you even know the difference between "vaping" and inhaling water vapor? Of does you steam room through tobacco and THC into the mix. If so, then yes, you are vaping.

And since you seem to have a lot of free time, trying doing a little research so you don't sound so stupid and every person on this board has to correct all of your errors.

Like this comment
Posted by 7ty
a resident of Canyon Creek
on Aug 22, 2019 at 4:53 pm

"Cigarettes are legal in every pharmacy CVS and grocery store."

Yep, and so are vaping supplies - not sure exactly what your point is. They still aren't allowed to legally sell to people not of age whether it is cigerettes, alcohol, vaping stuff or whatever or spray paint. They even have tide pods under lock and key in many places. You may not agree with that but it is currently the law.

3 people like this
Posted by buklau
a resident of Avila
on Aug 22, 2019 at 4:59 pm

Nobody is agreeing with legality of vaping for teenagers. It's the hypocritical panic of "oh no teens are vaping sometimes". Coming from the parents who often did cigarettes or got drunk when they were younger..

Like this comment
Posted by 7ty
a resident of Canyon Creek
on Aug 22, 2019 at 5:04 pm

Concerned Parent - the thing with vaping is that kids can do it and there is almost no smell (some have fragrance). It certainly doesn't smell if they return to class from doing it in the bathroom like cigarettes of mj. There really is no way for the schools to monitor it without cameras inside the bathrooms which obviously isn't going to happen. Also the devices are so small they are easily hidden and there is clothing designed to conceal their usage Web Link

Yes, kids are going to do it. Schools can not stop it. It is the parents that need to talk to there kids (which I'm sure you have done and your child is well prepared to avoid it). But, if other parents feel its safe and they want there kids doing it, they can buy the stuff for their kids. It is not illegal to smoke cigarettes under 21, it is just illegal to buy them. You can drink alcohol at home with parents if you are 18 (not sure about under that) you just can't buy it. But it is illegal (at least I think since they are classified as tobacco products in many cases) on school grounds. But stopping it as mentioned is a fruitless task

But anyway, this article was about the law. And the law is clear

Sorry, but further commenting on this topic has been closed.

All your news. All in one place. Every day.

Differentiating Grief from Clinical Depression
By Chandrama Anderson | 0 comments | 1,615 views

Jammed BART trains demand innovative thinking moving forward
By pleasantonweekly.com | 9 comments | 1,078 views