News

Swalwell holds presidential campaign rally in hometown at Dublin High

More than 1,000 residents attend local congressman's kickoff rally

Approximately 1,000 Bay Area residents attended Rep. Swalwell's hometown presidential rally on Sunday. (photo by Ryan J. Degan)

In his bid for the highest elected position in the United States, Tri-Valley Congressman Eric Swalwell doesn't want to hear about the odds, and neither do his supporters.

After announcing his candidacy on the "The Late Show with Stephen Colbert," Swalwell joined a deep field of Democrats who have thrown their hats into the ring, and in order to help grow his recognition, the 38-year-old Dublin native held a hometown rally to drum up support last Sunday.

"Now I know that the mountain I face is steep. You may have heard there are a few other Democrats interested in the job. Most of them have more name recognition right now than I do, at least outside this city," Rep. Swalwell said at his campaign rally held at his alma mater, Dublin High School. "That probably should discourage me, it may discourage you... (but) I've got you, we've got each other and we can do this."

As of Sunday, 19 Democrats from across the country have announced their candidacy for President, many of which have been serving in the political world for much longer than Swalwell -- resulting in many referring to the fourth term congressman as a long-shot candidate. But Swalwell's enthusiasm, as well as that of his supporters present on Sunday, does not seem to have been dampened by this label.

"The first day I met him I decided this was a young man who was going to do great things in the community and has a passion for helping people," Danville Town Councilman Newell Arnerich told the Weekly. "And as you know when he ran against all odds against the party to run for Congress and won big. You know he really is bold."

More than 1,000 residents gathered for the hometown rally, where Swalwell spoke about a variety of pressing issues he will address if elected President, chief among those being affordable healthcare and college tuition, government integrity and possibly his biggest focus, gun legislation.

The crowd showed a diversity in the age of his supporters, many of whom were high school and college students or senior citizens.

"I believe in a lot of the things he believes in and it's my dream to go into politics ... people should vote for Eric because he is what the Democrats need," said Anya Gewirtz, a 16-year-old Amador Valley High School student volunteering for Swalwell's campaign. "I feel like he is very genuine in what he is saying ... And I feel like that's a good sign for his ability to connect with the American people and all different types of voters."

Swalwell has already had a busy campaign season, having also visited South Carolina, Iowa and Florida, Nevada and New Hampshire in the week-plus after announcing his presidential candidacy.

And speculation is building about the future of his congressional seat.

Though focused on his presidential campaign, Swalwell hasn't confirmed which position he'll formally file election papers for -- a decision likely due closer to December's filing deadline and dependent upon the momentum of his White House bid.

Still, first-year Hayward City Councilwoman Aisha Wahab last week announced her candidacy for the 15th Congressional District seat, the first candidate to officially declare since Swalwell's presidential bid.

What is democracy worth to you?
Support local journalism.

Comments

18 people like this
Posted by zolli
a resident of Country Fair
on Apr 15, 2019 at 9:44 am

Good Luck Swalwell….you won't make it to "first" base

18 people like this
Posted by Charlie Brown
a resident of Pleasanton Valley
on Apr 15, 2019 at 9:49 am

When odds are expressed in writing they will look, as an example, like "6 to 1". I know our revered Congressman, Eric Swalwell, does not want to hear about odds, but if I were to express the odds for his election to PPOTUS, it would be 0 to 0 (Zero to Zero).

My apology for broaching he odds issue

30 people like this
Posted by Constituent in Pleasanton
on Apr 15, 2019 at 10:09 am

I was there. He was inspiring. He spoke of actual platform items and plans. He connected with the crowd. A longshot, maybe. But, I'm glad he jumped in. And, I hope he goes far.

27 people like this
Posted by Pleasanton Parent
a resident of Pleasanton Meadows
on Apr 15, 2019 at 1:30 pm

Pleasanton Parent is a registered user.

Constituent in Pleasanton,
What has he delivered on to date, that makes you think anything he discussed would come to reality?

I can accept a philosophical divide; thats to be expected. So even in the event he has delivered tangible benefits I don't agree with philosophically perhaps he's delivered on commitments..........what are they though? Have I missed what Swalwell has delivered on? I can think of nothing.

Can you point to anything he's actually delivered on to date, to make you think as a president he'd be effective?

21 people like this
Posted by Terry
a resident of Highland Oaks
on Apr 15, 2019 at 1:35 pm

I wish the Democrats and Eric would spend time working on our Country's problems. We have immigration problems, we need new and better laws, and health laws that do mot give our Country away to the illegals.

I feel he has lost his way and running at this time is an example of youthful judgment. He is too close to Pelosi, and does not seem to be able to think clearly.
He is too much party line.

9 people like this
Posted by Kathleen Ruegsegger
a resident of Vintage Hills
on Apr 15, 2019 at 2:05 pm

Kathleen Ruegsegger is a registered user.

All any politician seems capable of is running to get elected so they can run to get re-elected.

27 people like this
Posted by Doug
on Apr 15, 2019 at 3:23 pm

Just about anyone looks good compared to the current President, whose bizarre narcissistic and immature comments and antics are an embarrassment on almost a daily basis. I would like to see a mature adult back as President of the United States.

3 people like this
Posted by Junkerveld
a resident of Danville
on Apr 15, 2019 at 4:14 pm

Glad to see him running. He's outgrown the district and needs to raise his profile. I know, I know, what has he done, etc. That's not the right question, he or anyone, with big ideas need to find the position to make them happen.

Donald Trump didn't run for NYC City Council, then state office, then congress. He went for the position that would best allow him to realize his vision for the country.

Besides there is no downside to running. Witness Herman Cain, Mike Huckabee, and many others. They didn't even come close to winning the nomination, but are in the public lime light after the national exposure.

9 people like this
Posted by Pleasanton Parent
a resident of Pleasanton Meadows
on Apr 15, 2019 at 5:13 pm

....exactly what I thought. Nothing. And the desire for anyone other than trump from democrats will supersede the selection of someone of substance over trump. And Eric and others see this opportunity for a chance to be opportunistic. Vultures

27 people like this
Posted by Ridgerunner
a resident of Pleasanton Heights
on Apr 15, 2019 at 7:34 pm

That’s just what we need: a Pelosi puppet running for President! Fortunately his opportunistic narcissist won’t go far...hope we at least get him out of Congress with this folly!

10 people like this
Posted by DKHSK
a resident of Bridle Creek
on Apr 15, 2019 at 8:02 pm

DKHSK is a registered user.

Did he bring nukes?

17 people like this
Posted by BobB
on Apr 15, 2019 at 8:15 pm

BobB is a registered user.

He's running on gun control as his top priority. I don't think it is the top priority of voters.

12 people like this
Posted by Pleasanton Parent
a resident of Pleasanton Meadows
on Apr 15, 2019 at 8:54 pm

Pleasanton Parent is a registered user.

Great, a good cause.....what has he done in his current role to make actionable change in this area? Anything?

10 people like this
Posted by Doug
on Apr 16, 2019 at 7:20 am

No discussion of Swalwell’s Presidential ambitions is complete without also considering the person who he would ultimately be running against, the person who motivated Swalwell to run: The national embarrassment known as Donald Trump.

And, yup, he’s done it again. Hardly a day goes by without him making himself look like an idiot and embarrassing this country yet again:

. . . . . . .
“Donald Trump draws criticism over suggestion of fighting Notre Dame fire with 'flying water tankers'”

“President Donald Trump's suggestion for fighting the massive Notre Dame fire did not get good reviews. Tweeting that it was "so horrible to watch the massive fire at Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris," Trump added: "Perhaps flying water tankers could be used to put it out. Must act quickly!"“

“Professional firefighters called Trump's proposal impractical at best. Deploying the kinds of airplanes used to fight forest fires would be dangerous in an urban area, they said, noting that force of the water could knock the building down and threaten firefighters on the ground. "The drop of water by air on this type of building could indeed result in the collapse of the entire structure," the French government civil defense agency tweeted.“

“Wayne McPartland, a retired New York City Fire Department battalion chief, told CNBC that aerial tankers are not the answer at Notre Dame. “If you hit that with tons of water from above, that’s going to collapse the entire structure and make the situation worse,” McPartland said. “If you miss, you might hit civilians in the street.””

“Critics on Twitter called Trump's comment the epitome of second-guessing in the middle of a disaster.
"Thanks Fire Chief Bill," tweeted Michael Cohen, a Boston Globe columnist.”

USA Today: Web Link
. . . . . .

Wouldn’t it be great to have a respected, mature adult back in the White House?

12 people like this
Posted by Kathleen Ruegsegger
a resident of Vintage Hills
on Apr 16, 2019 at 7:54 am

Kathleen Ruegsegger is a registered user.

It would. At this time, however, that isn’t Swalwell.

14 people like this
Posted by WOW
on Apr 16, 2019 at 8:03 am

Doug, you have to get off your Trump obsession. Salwell is not yet running against Trump. He is running against almost 20 other morons in a clown car. One of them will eventually get to drive the car by themselves and then run against Trump. Until then simply bad theater.

10 people like this
Posted by Karl Aitken
a resident of Pleasanton Valley
on Apr 16, 2019 at 8:20 am

To WOW and All -

He has been running against Trump since Trump has been in office.

Seems to me he started his bid to run the day Trump took office.

12 people like this
Posted by DKHSK
a resident of Bridle Creek
on Apr 16, 2019 at 8:35 am

DKHSK is a registered user.

I like how Swalwell running immediately brings out the Trump haters.

It will be a long second term for you folks, eh?

I'll enjoy reading your posts of complaints while he continues to dismantle every failed policy that was implemented during the Bush and Obama years.

Spectacular.

4 people like this
Posted by WOW
on Apr 16, 2019 at 9:51 am

To Karl and all. All the clowns in the clown car are running against Trump, but first they have to beat each other to see who gets to drive the car. Running against Trump will not beat the rest of the clowns. They need to run against each other first. It is a tough concept for many of you but you may finally get it.

8 people like this
Posted by Pleasanton Parent
a resident of Pleasanton Meadows
on Apr 16, 2019 at 10:03 am

Pleasanton Parent is a registered user.

I'm seriously concerned that no one can point to any tangible benefit Swalwell has delivered on in his current position.

Like Trump / hate Trump I'm indifferent for the purposes of discussing another candidates merits for president. And my disappointment with Trump is now more so as he's allowing people from the other side to lower their bar for the next presidential candidate to be "a respected, mature adult" - I personally don't think Swalwell meets that bar, but I can understand the perspective others have that he does.

And for those that hate trump for his lack of qualifications to be president, how can you support Swalwell for a change when he's in the same experience camp? From a maturity perspective I really see him as marginally different, less brash no doubt but he's hyper focused on a personal war to get Trump and his family (sound familiar????), not looking at better ways to achieve his goals, campaigning on divisiveness, and I'm convinced out to serve his own purpose only.

Again, I can understand those not likely Trump, but if you're going to call to replace Trump because he's inexperienced, has an agenda, immature, etc. you need to evaluate your replacements for the same behaviors and reset the bar where it rightfully should be for the most powerful office in the world.

The right candidate in my mind is actually one that can credit Trump with the intent behind some of his actions, and condemn him on the execution and manner in which he tried to achieve them. Not just run on the "Trump Sucks" platform. He clearly won for a reason, and failing to recognize why is a failure for any candidate running against him.

9 people like this
Posted by Jake Waters
on Apr 16, 2019 at 12:02 pm

Jake Waters is a registered user.

Here we go again, another article to provide the Trump-haters their space to trash, defame, ridicule, label, defile, criticize, and more the day in and day out existence of Trump. Have you blamed him for the Norte Dame fire yet? I'm sure that is coming.

This space is about Eric Swalwell, but I guess we can run free. I am no fan or supporter of Swalwell, and haven't experienced anything he has accomplished for our district or California; however, compared to the rest of the Democratic congregation it appears that doesn't matter, because they haven't either. I'm surprised Liberals (if they exist anymore with the constant attacks on free speech) haven't screamed "we don't need another white male." Give it time, one of the others on the bus will broach it.

Since it is an open field here, is there anything good that has happened through Trump's actions that can be validated? I'm not here to defend the President, although it may appear so, but I think it has to do more with your personality, your hateful disposition, and your closed minded view of reality. I didn't care for Obama, but I would never allow myself to speak in a manner as many of you do about the President. Furthermore, all your criticisms are void of examples or definitions. I hear the eight labels thrown at him constantly and they are never defined and usually debunked.

My suggestion for all of you Democrats would be pick a lane of the 40+ candidates that will probably end up running (LOL), and go for it. Your problem is that you have all solidified Trump's re-election, and most likely will be making arrangements to leave the country, again.

11 people like this
Posted by Doug
on Apr 16, 2019 at 12:41 pm

@Jake Waters

Of course Donald Trump and his unfitness for the Office of the Presidency is relevant to any discussion about Swalwell's or any other candidate's Presidential bid for the 2020 election. Why do you think that candidates like Swalwell are coming out of the woodwork in a virtual stampede to run for President? It's because they sense weakness in the current President and there is a popular perception that he is unfit for Office. To try to ignore Donald Trump and the unprecedented immaturity and lack of judgement he brings to the Presidency of the United States is like trying to ignore the "Elephant in the room".

I've said the following before and I'll say it again:

Of all the times that I've repeated the sentence above no one - not even a single Trump supporter - has ever even tried to claim that the sentence is untrue.

. . . . .
""Elephant in the room" is a metaphorical idiom in American English for an obvious problem or risk that no one wants to discuss." - (Wikipedia: Web Link )
. . . . .

14 people like this
Posted by jaqe_waters@yahoo.com
on Apr 16, 2019 at 2:15 pm

jaqe_waters@yahoo.com is a registered user.

@Doug

Doug, you make my point. I've read your comments a number of times when the discussion of Trump comes up, or you manufacture your way into bringing him into the conversation. First off, you are entitled to your opinions and I am entitled to express mine. I would say to you: stop sounding like sound-bits from CNN and MSNBC. Your kind seem to be given the script from the DNC. The leaks proved that back in 2016. You use these adjectives that you can't define or provide example. I could apply those to everyone in the Democratic Party back to Obama, and how the two of them behave on Twitter today.

Trump Tweets, Trump boasts, Trump fights, Trump calls all your Democrats and the Mainstream Media out for what they are, Trump says what he wants and doesn't apologize (as the Democrats don't either), he's human, he's from Queens, on and on and on. I will take a fighter for President every day of the week. I despise the weakness, hypocrisy, the hatred the Left spews, the violence they project through their KKK (antifa), and their arrogance to want to take our freedoms away.

Doug, have at me and you will. I give you the last word, because I don't need it. Trump is President now, and will be again in 2020, and that makes me smile.

5 people like this
Posted by Doug
on Apr 16, 2019 at 3:25 pm

"There are Pleasanton elementary school students who are more mature than the current President of the United States."

Jake Waters launches into a long attack against me, CNN, MSNBC, Democrats, the "Mainstream Media", etc.. But did he even try to dispute the sentence above that I've repeatedly posted on these forums? Nope. He didn't even want to touch it.

Point made.

2 people like this
Posted by Karl Aitken
a resident of Pleasanton Valley
on Apr 16, 2019 at 4:26 pm

My only point is that he has been "campaigning" since Trump got into office. It's no big surprise he's running.

WOW - I do recall my Civics class at Amador and understand how our primary system works. No need to explain the "concept", but thanks for your concern.

6 people like this
Posted by Enough
on Apr 16, 2019 at 6:56 pm

Doug, your statement concerning elementary students and Trump is so blatantly stupid there is no response. It is nonsensical as your constant Trump bashing. He may be all the things you say but your constant haranguing is actually belittling your own points. Give it a rest. I am out of here. Hope you seek help.

12 people like this
Posted by Doug
on Apr 16, 2019 at 7:22 pm

@Enough

You seriously don’t believe that there exist Pleasanton elementary school students who are more mature than Donald Trump? I’m prepared to back up my assertion with actual, true quotes by Donald Trump. Would you like for me to list some of them? Oh, it looks like you don’t.

Point made.

Game over. Done.

7 people like this
Posted by BobB
on Apr 16, 2019 at 7:37 pm

BobB is a registered user.

It is scary that Trump is president. So far he hasn't been nearly as bad as he could have been.

2 people like this
Posted by Michael Austin
a resident of Pleasanton Meadows
on Apr 16, 2019 at 7:39 pm

Doug is just a "nomenclature".

5 people like this
Posted by Arroyo2
on Apr 18, 2019 at 10:03 am

My problem with Swalwell is that he carried the water for Nancy Pelosi from the beginning. It was obvious that he was being groomed by Pelosi, or the DNC, for a higher office than representing our little District. Since taking office nothing bipartisen has passed Swalwell's lips, regardless of the topic.

More gun control is an easy topic for him to support -it's the Democrat's perpetual position. If that's the best he can do to invigorate his voters, how is he going to set himself apart from this group of dysfunctional President wannabes?

Like this comment
Posted by Frequentwalkermiles
on Apr 18, 2019 at 3:59 pm

Imagine your name is actually Doug and you actually live in Birdland, and people who read local news just might assume you are this online celebrity who is winning hearts and minds with every post.

3 people like this
Posted by Pleasanton Parent
a resident of Pleasanton Meadows
on Apr 18, 2019 at 4:01 pm

Pleasanton Parent is a registered user.

Ha ha, Swalwell hasn't released his tax returns......can't wait to see that one.

Web Link

And how is Kamala Harris pulling down $1.89M/yr. [removed]

9 people like this
Posted by Billie
a resident of Mohr Park
on Apr 19, 2019 at 11:29 am

Billie is a registered user.

PP: two words: joint return
Web Link
(*emphasis mine*)

"According to Harris' tax returns reviewed by CNN and Tim Steffen, director of Advance Planning at Baird, the California Democrat and her attorney husband, Douglas Emhoff, reported an adjusted gross income for 2018 of $1,889,156. Emhoff, an entertainment and intellectual property lawyer and law partner at DLA Piper Law Firm, *brings in the overwhelming bulk of the couple's wealth and investments*.

Harris' returns show she earned $157,352 as a US senator. Harris reported a net income of $320,125 from her writing — she published "The Truths We Hold" earlier this year. In 2018, the couple donated $27,259 to charity -- among the recipients were Harris' alma mater, Howard University at $5,000, and South Central Scholars, a scholarship program for high-achieving, low-income students. Over the last five years, Harris and her husband paid more than $2.2 million in federal taxes, at an approximate 33% tax rate. In the 10 years before Harris married, she paid just under $350,000 in federal taxes.

Steffen says prior to her married tax filing in 2014, Harris' filings over the previous decade had a fairly basic tax return. Her income while in public office also shows a decline as she climbed from San Francisco district attorney to California attorney general. Her election to the state office sliced about $43,000 off her salary. The state AG salary also dropped year after year, due to state mandated pay cuts for state salaries in the wake of the financial crisis."

BTW: Harris' 15 years of tax returns is 15 more than we've seen from Trump. "can't wait to see that one."

Like this comment
Posted by pope john
a resident of Pleasanton Meadows
on Apr 19, 2019 at 6:35 pm

pope john is a registered user.

Waiting for Archie Bunker to declare.

4 people like this
Posted by Pleasanton Parent
a resident of Pleasanton Meadows
on Apr 19, 2019 at 8:23 pm

Pleasanton Parent is a registered user.

Billie,
Thank you and i owe an apology to kamala harris.

Like this comment
Posted by Billie
a resident of Mohr Park
on Apr 20, 2019 at 12:13 pm

Billie is a registered user.

PP,
You're welcome :)

2 people like this
Posted by Renee94566
a resident of Vintage Hills
on Apr 22, 2019 at 10:13 pm

Renee94566 is a registered user.

We are all well aware that Swalwell stands practically zero chance of being elected. Whoever feels the need to bring that to anyone's attention is clearly not the brightest crayon in the box. Don't overlook the impact running for presidency has on raising his profile. And to the person who mentioned gun control being his platform - while it may not top the list of what americans are concerned with don't underestimate that gun reform is hot topic of young voters. Young voters that will eventually see Swalwell in a capacity that impacts their interests while current voters are dying off.

3 people like this
Posted by DKHSK
a resident of Bridle Creek
on Apr 23, 2019 at 9:10 am

DKHSK is a registered user.

This weekend was HISTORIC in describing the Democrats presidential platforms!

To wit:

1. Bernie Sanders and Kamala Harris both indicated that felons, including rapists, child rapists, terrorists (like the Boston Bomber) have the right to vote, even when they are in jail.
2. Elizabeth Warren wants the taxpayers to foot the bill for college loans given to those students who were dumb enough to enroll in gender studies, and thought they'd make enough money to pay off their debt.
3. Kamala Harris told a townhall that if congress didn't act on gun control with the first 100 days of her administration (chuckle), she would draft an executive order doing so. Swalwell hardest hit.

I think we can safely say that the Democrats have lost their collective minds.

The political attack ads just write themselves and I look forward to the debates with Trump.

6 people like this
Posted by Billie
a resident of Mohr Park
on Apr 23, 2019 at 1:15 pm

Billie is a registered user.

Facts are pesky things . . .

When asked about her position on the voting rights issue by CNN’s Don Lemon, who noted that "Senator Bernie Sanders said that he is in favor of felons being able to vote while serving in prison. He was asked specifically about people like the Boston Marathon bomber, also people who are convicted of sexual assault."

Sen. Harris responded: "I agree that the right to vote is one of the very important components of citizenship. It is something that people should not be stripped of needlessly, which is why I have been long an advocate of making sure that the formerly incarcerated are not denied a right to vote, which is the case in so many states in our country, in some states permanently deprived of the right to vote. And these are policies that go back to Jim Crow. These are policies that go back to the heart of policies that have been about disenfranchisement, policies that continue until today, and we need to take it seriously."

Web Link
-------------

Elizabeth Warren said nothing about limiting college loan forgiveness to those "dumb enough to enroll in gender studies" (because heaven forbid anyone should study that!). She did, however, explain how her proposal would be paid for as a small portion of a new "ultra-millionaire's tax". The wealth tax would be "two cents on every dollar of the great fortunes above $50 million dollars. So your 50 millionth and first dollar, you have to pay two cents on all the dollars after that." She also explained: "If we put that two cent wealth tax in place on the 75,000 largest fortunes in this country -- two cents -- we can do universal child care for every baby, zero to five, universal pre-K, universal college, and knock back the student loan burden for 95% of our students and still have nearly a trillion dollars left over." Not a bad return!
Web Link
--------

As far as Bernie Sanders goes, eh, he's certainly out there!

7 people like this
Posted by Renee94566
a resident of Vintage Hills
on Apr 23, 2019 at 1:38 pm

Renee94566 is a registered user.

Thanks Billie for bringing those pesky facts to life! The only thing I love about the current administration is the development of Foxdar! I love running far, far away before getting caught up in the fox hole!

The network’s programming does not just wash over its viewers like rain. As studies have suggested—and as you probably already know the more you watch Fox News, the more conservative you become. Who are these impressionable people who are so easily swayed by Sean Hannity’s sweet words? After three weeks of watching Fox, I think I can tell you a few things about them. They trust their pastors more than they trust their elected officials. They despise the media despite not actually consuming very much of it. They have an insatiable lust for purchasing retirement gold from websites that advertise on television. They subscribe to a spiteful populism in which the people seize power for the sole purpose of annoying those who preceded them in office. Their vision of America resembles one drawn in crayon by a child on a placemat.

Like this comment
Posted by MichaelB
a resident of Pleasanton Meadows
on Apr 23, 2019 at 3:02 pm

MichaelB is a registered user.

"She did, however, explain how her proposal would be paid for as a small portion of a new "ultra-millionaire's tax". The wealth tax would be "two cents on every dollar of the great fortunes above $50 million dollars. So your 50 millionth and first dollar, you have to pay two cents on all the dollars after that." She also explained: "If we put that two cent wealth tax in place on the 75,000 largest fortunes in this country -- two cents -- we can do universal child care for every baby, zero to five, universal pre-K, universal college, and knock back the student loan burden for 95% of our students and still have nearly a trillion dollars left over." Not a bad return!"

Not a "return" at all. A pesky fact - it is not the government's money to begin with. Yet another predictable response from Democrats of government isn't big enough/doesn't tax enough/not enough things are "free" - while at the same time incentivizing people to run up debt/never pay it back.

Like this comment
Posted by DKHSK
a resident of Bridle Creek
on Apr 23, 2019 at 3:12 pm

DKHSK is a registered user.

"When pressed she said, "I think we should have that conversation." That's certainly not saying she agrees with Bernie."

Ok...I'll be charitable and say she didn't disagree with Bernie.

Happy?

Let's not play these games Billie. If she disagreed then she would have said so. The fact that she didn't just means that she has 'slightly' more message discipline than the Communist.

We're not children here.

Question for you: Do you agree convicted and jailed pedophiles and terrorists should vote? Yes or no?

And please...do you think the typical engineering or business grad has issues paying off their loans? The explosion of completely USELESS studies, coupled with greedy colleges, universities, plus loan guaranty provided by the government to the banks is what caused this mess.

Now you want the wealthy to pay again?

Nope...

3 people like this
Posted by MichaelB
a resident of Pleasanton Meadows
on Apr 23, 2019 at 3:19 pm

MichaelB is a registered user.

"Their vision of America resembles one drawn in crayon by a child on a placemat."

Actually that would be coming from the so called "progressives".

They are the ones promising things for "free" when there is no such thing as free, disarming the law abiding will somehow stop criminals, you can only advance economically by taking from/holding back someone who already has, enforcing immigration laws is "racism", the world is going to end in 12 years if we don't enact the "Green New Deal, etc.

4 people like this
Posted by Billie
a resident of Mohr Park
on Apr 23, 2019 at 5:13 pm

Billie is a registered user.

Talk about "free" . . .
A couple more facts . . .

According to Fortune, Amazon's Jeff Bezos, paid an "11.4% federal income tax rate between 2011 and 2016". "Amazon almost doubled its U.S. profits from $5.6 billion to $11.2 billion between 2017 and 2018." "To top it off, Amazon actually reported a *$129 million* 2018 federal income tax "rebate" - making its tax rate in effect, -1%." I don't know about you, but even the 11.4% rate Bezos paid in previous years is less than half the rate I paid. And I've never paid less than $0 federal income tax.
Web Link

Amazon wasn't the only one, nor was its "rebate" the largest one received. Ten companies took more, including Duke Energy who received $647 million back from the government while making $3 billion in profits. Sixty (yes, that's 60) profitable Fortune 500 companies paid *no* taxes on a total of *$79 billion of profits* earned in 2018. This list includes Netflix, IBM, Halliburton, Chevron, Deere, Delta Air Lines, General Motors, Honeywell, Prudential Financial, and Whirlpool.
Web Link

Most of us who aren't wealthy, pay a good share of our income to support our country. We pay for the highways upon which wealthy corporations ship their goods. We pay for our military and our veteran's benefits. We pay to make the airports safe for airlines to fly. We pay for the courts these wealthy corporations use. We pay for support programs, insurance and children's education the minimum wage workers at these corporations must, out of necessity, take advantage of.

6 people like this
Posted by Billie
a resident of Mohr Park
on Apr 23, 2019 at 5:34 pm

Billie is a registered user.

DKHSK
I'm not sure why you limited your question to only "convicted and jailed pedophiles and terrorists", but no, I don't believe those who are incarcerated have the right to vote. However, once someone is released, whether into community service, by parole, or having served their sentence, their right to vote should automatically be restored. They've paid their debt.

As far as student loan debt goes, I'm sure there are more than a few "engineering or business grad[s]" struggling to pay off their loans, especially since the more technical, law and scientific studies/degrees usually cost much more than a general education. I would bet that very few students leave school, skip entry-level positions and fall directly into a high-paying job in their field, enabling them to whip that debt out of existence.

I agree that colleges and universities, both public and private, have greedily raised their rates so as to make a higher education, in effect, unobtainable for many; and then those who can't afford even a public university often get sucked into the for-profit technical schools scam.

This article has some interesting information on student loan debt statistics: Web Link
From the article: "In 2012, about 40% of all student loan debt was used to finance graduate and professional degrees. Combined undergraduate and graduate debt by degree:"
MBA = $42,000 (11% of graduate degrees)
Master of Education = $50,879 (16%)
Master of Science = $50,400 (18%)
Master of Arts = $58,539 (8%)
Law = $140,616 (4%)
Medicine and health sciences = $161,772 (5%)
Other master’s degrees = $55,489 (15%)

1 person likes this
Posted by MichaelB
a resident of Pleasanton Meadows
on Apr 23, 2019 at 6:04 pm

MichaelB is a registered user.

"What's really "free" is the free-ride those of us who pay taxes are giving these wealthy corporations. And yes, what I'd like is for the wealthy to pay their fair share in support of our country. Two cents on the dollar over their first $50 million doesn't seem like a lot to ask."

What's really being ignored is the percentage of income taxes already being paid (not "asked") by those on the top/wealthy. Nothing "fair" about just adding on top of that with a surcharge/wealth tax with others paying little or none to make people like Warren feel good. What's her plan to create jobs so people can raise their own incomes?

Web Link

Enough of the irritating "pay your fair share" stuff. There's simply no end to the amount of taxes the left wants to raise on the "rich". Income/wealth are not "rights" in our nation and it's not the job of the government to legislate prosperity/equalize outcomes.

8 people like this
Posted by Billie
a resident of Mohr Park
on Apr 23, 2019 at 8:29 pm

Billie is a registered user.

MichaelB
The reference you provided was for taxes paid in 2014, you know, before Trump and the Republicans passed the the Tax Cut and Jobs Act (TCJA) for the middle [?] class.

That aside, did you miss the part where, under the TCJA, 60 Fortune 500 companies paid 0, nada, zip, nothing, zilch in federal income taxes for *2018*? After making *billions* in record profits? Yeah, ok, so not feeling sorry for them.

2 people like this
Posted by DKHSK
a resident of Bridle Creek
on Apr 24, 2019 at 10:41 am

DKHSK is a registered user.

Jobless claims fall to lowest levels SINCE 1969!!!

Web Link

"Dogfather" Tom Cushing' favorite economist Paul Krugman hardest hit. :)

Good luck Swalwell!

Yes, let's keep talking about letting prisoners vote and welfare for college grads. Good choice Dems...

MAGA.

Sincerely.

Sorry, but further commenting on this topic has been closed.

Stay informed

Get daily headlines sent straight to your inbox.

Premarital and Couples: 10 Tips for the Holidays
By Chandrama Anderson | 0 comments | 2,007 views

Radical generosity can change lives

Axis, a Holiday Fund beneficiary, helps residents meet new state health law
By Jeb Bing | 0 comments | 246 views