With the Tri-Valley continuing the rainy start to 2019, the Zone 7 Water Agency has released an advisory to help residents stay prepared for potential flooding amid wet weather.
One of the most important strategies to avoid localized flooding and mudslides is preparing your property, according to Zone 7, which in addition to being a Tri-Valley water wholesaler is tasked with flood protection in the Livermore and Amador valleys.
Zone 7 officials said it's important to know whether your property is at risk for flooding by looking up your address on the state's MyHazards website at http://myhazards.caloes.ca.gov.
From there, you can prepare your property by removing any dead trees or brush, making sure your drainage is directed toward the street's storm-drain system, and keeping all storm-drains, roof gutters, pipes, downspouts, driveway culverts and drainage ditches free of debris.
Landscaping is the best protection against slides, according to Zone 7. If your home is on a bare-soil hillside, you can protect it by punching straw into the soil with a shovel, or securing sheets of woven burlap with stakes.
They also advise residents that it's vital to correct any cracking or slippage as soon as possible and that directing drainage downslope onto bare soil can cause slope instability.
In case of serious flooding or slides, residents should stay prepared for possible evacuation by keeping your car fueled and disaster supplies handy.
Zone 7 suggests residents consider flood insurance where applicable, because most homeowners' insurance policies do not cover flood damage.
And if needed, free sandbags can be obtained from Pleasanton, Dublin, Livermore or Alameda County government facilities in the Tri-Valley:
* City of Pleasanton Operations Service Center: Mondays through Fridays, 7 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., 3333 Busch Road. Call 931-5500.
* City of Dublin Corporation Yard: 24 hours a day, 5709 Scarlett Court. Call 833-6630.
* City of Dublin Public Safety Complex: 24 hours a day, 6363 Clark Ave.
* City of Livermore Maintenance Service Center: Mondays through Fridays, 7 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., 3500 Robertson Park Road. Call 960-8020.
* Alameda County Public Works Road Maintenance Dept.: Mondays through Fridays, 7 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., 4825 Gleason Drive in Dublin. Call 803-7007; if no answer, call sheriff's dispatch in case of emergency at 510-667-7721.