A fire Sunday afternoon destroyed a single-story, family home on Mason Street in Pleasanton Sunday afternoon, displacing a family of two adults and three children who were not at the home at the time.
Michael Miller, Battalion Chief of the Livermore–Pleasanton Fire Department, said firefighters reached the home at 2:11 p.m. to find smoke and flames coming from the home's garage. They had the fire under control within 20 minutes.
No one was home at the time and there were no injuries among the 22 firefighters battling the blaze.
There was heavy fire damage to the garage and extreme smoke damage to the entire home, Miller said. As a result, the home is uninhabitable at this time.
He said the family was able to find lodging with friends.
The damaged Christmas presents found in the home will be replaced by LPFD firefighters through the Marine's Toys for Tots program.
Firefighters remained on the scene until 5 p.m. to complete the investigation and assist the family with salvaging their belongings.
Miller said the fire started in a wall in the garage and was caused by an electrical short. Initial damage estimates are $100,000 for the structure and $80,000 in content loss.
The LPFD received assistance from the Alameda County Fire Deptartment and the Pleasanton Police Deptartment.