News

Arkin to seek re-election to Pleasanton school board

First of 3 whose terms expire this year to put name on Nov. 8 ballot

Pleasanton school board member Valerie Arkin announced Monday that she will seek re-election to a third term on Nov. 8.

Arkin, who was first elected to the school board in November 2008, is one of three school board members whose terms expire this year. The two others, Chris Grant and Jamie Hintzke, have yet to say is they will seek re-election..

"As a parent of three children who went through Pleasanton's public school system, and as a long-

time school volunteer, I understand the need to keep parents completely informed about decisions that will affect their children and that are being conducted using taxpayer money," Arkin said.

"During my two terms on the board, I am very proud of the great progress that we have made in improving the communications conduit between the district and the community," she added. "It is still a work in progress, but I will always continue to lobby for greater advances in the arena of communication."

She said high academic achievement is her priority as a school board member.

"I will continue working to ensure that Pleasanton students have the programs that address their academic needs, as well as addressing their extra-curricular needs," she said. "I believe that our students should graduate with the skills they need to succeed in a global economy and be prepared to be socially responsible citizens."

Arkin, who has handled hundreds of school budget decisions during her two terms of office, said fiscal responsibility is another priority.

Among her other contributions during her tenure have been updating of district policies, initiating more reading intervention programs, having a member of the public serve on the audit committee, evaluating the district's legal services and working with student board members to help them better understand their perspective in considering board decisions.

Arkin, who was chosen by fellow board members to serve as its president in 2011 and 2015, serves on the Special Education Local Plan Area board and the city of Pleasanton Liaison Committee and is a delegate for the California School Board Association.

She also served two terms on the Pleasanton Library Commission and is a past member of the board of managers for the Tri-Valley YMCA.

Arkin is a 23-year resident of Pleasanton and lives in the city with her husband Brian. She has three children including Chris, who works in the tech industry; Angela, a college senior, and Nick, a junior at Amador Valley High School.

Arkin holds a bachelor's degree in Health Science from Cal State Northridge and a Master's degree in Business Administration from California Lutheran University. She also completed the Governance Training program of the California School Boards Association.

For more information, sign on to her website at www.valeriearkinforschoolboard.com/

Comments

18 people like this
Posted by Excellent news
a resident of Danbury Park
on Jun 14, 2016 at 12:57 pm

Valerie has represented the parents of Pleasanton so well, I am very happy to hear she is interested in running again! You made my day.

5 people like this
Posted by Oh God Help Us
a resident of Amador Estates
on Jun 14, 2016 at 12:59 pm

(Portion of post partially removed due to disrespectful or unsubstantiated comments.)

Think of our schools in 2008 when all three got elected. Are we better off or have all of the school programs been gutted: Barton, the Calendar, Reading Specialist, the list goes on and on.

We need to get the politics out of our schools and get back to supporting the teachers in the classroom. I say get rid of all three of them: Arkin, Hintzke, & Grant. I am supporting new blood on the school board.

13 people like this
Posted by Kathleen Ruegsegger
a resident of Vintage Hills
on Jun 14, 2016 at 4:40 pm

Kathleen Ruegsegger is a registered user.

OGHU, I'm pretty sure Arkin is one of five members of the board. So hiring Ahmadi, approved by many, is not hers alone. And to support the others, have you never seen someone good on paper and in an interview who then went on to fail? Ahmadi, at worst, was too inexperienced.

"She" did not gut management and rotate all the principals. Those changes were recommended by staff; and if what I've heard is true, with good reason. By the way, in what appears in hindsight to have been the better days at PUSD, rotating principals was the norm. I don't know the reason for voting against an African American vice principal; do you? You make it sound like it was because the person was African American. If it's the grant I'm thinking of, Village gym/cooking class, I'm glad they gave the money back. Not because Village shouldn't have a better campus, but because taxpayers had not voted that this as a top priority. I'd also like to see some fresher thinking about the whole DO.

Seems to me the problems started in 2008 because of the superintendent. He padded his own retirement wallet and skipped merrily out of town before the fiscal crumbling began.

I'd like to hear what you think is lacking in supporting teachers.

Like this comment
Posted by Donald
a resident of Amador Estates
on Jun 14, 2016 at 6:28 pm

OGHU,

It sounds like our next president has gotten into your head like he has Obama and the other national socialists

Like this comment
Posted by Michael Austin
a resident of Pleasanton Meadows
on Jun 14, 2016 at 6:44 pm

Michael Austin is a registered user.

Rotating positions through the district schools getting experience from elementary through high school and experiencing the complexities that come with each position is good training and good management.

In the industrial sector, I found that training in several positions worked well, saved money, reduced absenteeism, and instilled loyal high achievers.

Posted by Rotating positions should not protect bad administrators

on Jun 14, 2016 at 10:25 pm

Remember me?
Forgot Password?
Due to violations of our Terms of Use, comments from this poster are only visible to registered users who are logged in. Use the links at the top of the page to Register or Login.

6 people like this
Posted by Kathleen Ruegsegger
a resident of Vintage Hills
on Jun 14, 2016 at 10:44 pm

Kathleen Ruegsegger is a registered user.

I do not know the specifics at HPMS. Ahmadi was inexperienced and sought advice from people who did her no favors. I would not spend any time defending that administration.

5 people like this
Posted by WHAT???
on Jun 15, 2016 at 12:12 am

We've got another lawsuit going on??? How many is that now?? I can't even count because it's all so hush hush. There seem to be several on going special ed lawsuits and payouts as well as the other civil stuff. We still have the lawsuit over the whole mess that went on at WG that should have been dealt with internally as a hr problem. I saw there was another lawsuit involving the foothills teacher who was paid to leave and was trying to limit the FOIA release of the documents surrounding her "investigation". But that seems to have been quietly settled. Our legal costs are out of control. It seems to be hundreds of thousands every 8 weeks. We are desperately trying to save 14 dollar an hour jobs yet we pay millions to lawyers.

I agree with Kathleen Parvin was very inexperienced and didn't have a good staff and we will be paying for that for years and years.

Posted by Rotating positions should not protect bad administrators

on Jun 15, 2016 at 12:51 am

Remember me?
Forgot Password?

29 people like this
Posted by WHAT???
on Jun 15, 2016 at 1:22 am

I should have paid attention to which story these comments were located.

Staying on topic. I hope Valerie Arkin is reelected. She is honest. Down to earth. She is all about mending fences and not burning bridges. She responds when you contact her. She is shown time and time again that she is level headed and isn't reactionary. She works hard. She is exactly the kind of person we need on this school board.

22 people like this
Posted by Kathleen Ruegsegger
a resident of Vintage Hills
on Jun 15, 2016 at 9:13 am

Kathleen Ruegsegger is a registered user.

What, I will be supporting Valerie's campaign as well and for the reasons you pointed out.

14 people like this
Posted by DJohns
on Jun 20, 2016 at 11:35 am

DJohns is a registered user.

I endorse Valerie Arkin, she has done a great job for the PUSD community. I am glad she is willing to continue in this difficult role representing us.

6 people like this
Posted by Frustrated
a resident of Country Fair
on Jun 21, 2016 at 7:54 pm

Frustrated is a registered user.

[Removed because it contained unconfirmed allegations.]

6 people like this
Posted by JackS
on Sep 14, 2016 at 3:44 pm

JackS is a registered user.

I'm looking forward to November to vote for a woman wo works hard to bring our community and school board together to work as a team.

Posted by Name hidden
a resident of Pleasanton Meadows

on Sep 14, 2016 at 10:45 pm

Due to repeated violations of our Terms of Use, comments from this poster are automatically removed. Why?

Sorry, but further commenting on this topic has been closed.

Couples: Drop Your Keyboard!
By Chandrama Anderson | 0 comments | 6,933 views

BART needs to focus on trains, not residential development

Scott Raty bows out as CEO of Pleasanton Chamber
By Jeb Bing | 0 comments | 204 views

Nominations due by Sept. 17

Pleasanton Weekly and DanvilleSanRamon.com are once again putting out a call for nominations and sponsorships for the annual Tri-Valley Heroes awards - our salute to the community members dedicated to bettering the Tri-Valley and the lives of its residents.

Nomination form