News

Parents a no-show at Harvest Park principal meeting

Harvest Park searching for permanent principal

No parents attended a community forum last week at Harvest Park Middle that sought to gather parent and guardian opinions on the type of person who should be chosen as the school's next principal.

Harvest Park is looking for a new principal for next school year after some administrative moves left the school without a permanent leader.

After waiting about 15 minutes after the start of the May 5 meeting, district and school officials decided to leave the empty multipurpose room, noting that the district would also consider emailed comments from parents.

Former principal Ken Rocha was promoted to director of education for the district's elementary and middle schools last summer, and Jill Butler was selected as interim principal for the school year.

After some district-level resignations that led to some principals being promoted, Butler was appointed principal of Pleasanton Middle -- a school which she had significant experience at as a vice principal and teacher. Amy Theberge and Steve Maher have been working as co-principals at Harvest Park since November.

The district went through the first round of interviews this week and is expected to wrap up interviews in time to announce a new principal at the school board's May 24 meeting, assistant superintendent of human resources Dianne Howell said.

Any parents or guardians of Harvest Park who want to submit their thoughts on the qualities the next school leader should possess may email Howell at dhowell@pleasantonusd.net. They may also email district spokesman Patrick Gannon at pgannon@pleasantonusd.net.

Comments

9 people like this
Posted by Another date
a resident of Harvest Park Middle School
on May 10, 2016 at 9:36 am

We had a little league game and homework
Maybe two dates should be given (Friday??)
As my husband and I would of loved to attend

16 people like this
Posted by Don't complain
on May 10, 2016 at 10:03 am

This is sad!

NO ONE has the right to complain about anyone that is put into that position so parents, DO NOT post here - you will have no sympathy from me.

2 people like this
Posted by Good
a resident of Castlewood
on May 10, 2016 at 2:59 pm

New principal should be Asian. We need to represent 40%+ asiam student. How many principal currently Asian?

44 people like this
Posted by Sam
a resident of Oak Hill
on May 10, 2016 at 11:13 pm

@Good

I don't want to hear any nonsense about a need for an Asian principal simply because there are a lot of Asian students. That's garbage. When a school needs a principal I want the best man or woman in there regardless of race or ethnicity. And, BTW, I am Asian.

2 people like this
Posted by Good
a resident of Castlewood
on May 11, 2016 at 8:36 am

You are not Asian. Must have Asian representation. Otherwise unfair to students and very racist to have only non Asian principals. We should not be a racist district and our leadership should represent the makeup of the community.

33 people like this
Posted by Been There 2
on May 11, 2016 at 8:58 am

@Good: Hiring based on race? I think that's discrimination. And unconstitutional.

Like this comment
Posted by Good
a resident of Castlewood
on May 11, 2016 at 9:26 am

Call district and ask for diversity scorecard as I did. Then you will see what real distribution actually is. Mostly white male. I will vote for dens this time. Would like to see more affirmative action.

13 people like this
Posted by Right...
a resident of Pheasant Ridge
on May 11, 2016 at 10:35 am

I'm willing to bet "Good" isn't really an Asian at all and is just trying to make Asians look bad, don't fall for it readers. Asians speak and write way better than what "Good" represents. Yes our educator workforce "should" ideally represent the diversity of the student population but that's a whole different topic. An inclusive white male is a better leader than a biased Asian.

19 people like this
Posted by Jay
a resident of Amador Valley High School
on May 11, 2016 at 1:25 pm

I would love to see Asians participate more in our community in general. When I go to school fundraisers, the sports park, the PPIE Race, etc. I don't see a lot of participation or support coming from that group.

20 people like this
Posted by Lessismore
a resident of Amador Valley High School
on May 11, 2016 at 4:38 pm

I've spoken to many Asians families who have moved to PUSD because of our great schools and community to raise kids. When I ask them about getting involved, they say I don't have time to help out. Your not any busier than the rest of us but we found the time because it was important.

My comment to you would be you know why we have great schools and a great place to raise a family? It's because people got involved. It's sad to say, but the community involvement has dropped off as the makeup of Ptwon has changed.

You want to have impact get involved.

To Good.
Your comment offends me; you feel all non-Asians are racist. How many hours have you volunteered to PUSD or Ptown this year? When I volunteer at an event, and you pull up to drop your kid and leave I will recall your comment about me being a racist.

We need the best person for the job at Harvest Prak, Black, White or Asian.

Like this comment
Posted by Good
a resident of Castlewood
on May 11, 2016 at 5:34 pm

We do what we can with time we have. Many Asians work long hours. Children work many hours each night doing extra homework to improve scores. We are not racier but think Asians should be represented in leadership roles as we are what is driving improvement in schools period. Ask for ethnic breakdown of test scores. You will see.

24 people like this
Posted by no show
a resident of Jensen Tract
on May 11, 2016 at 5:57 pm

It wasn't out of lack of interest that the meeting had no attendance. I have been to meetings like this in the past and district meetings too. Some parents make their requests and state their concerns but the district does what the district wants. Do we really need a meeting to say we would like an experienced, unbiassed principle that can balance the academic and disciplinary goals of the student body with the needs of the teachers. The best individual for the job should be chosen on skills, period. Not filling a need for diversity.

Like this comment
Posted by Good
a resident of Castlewood
on May 11, 2016 at 8:40 pm

Everyone think diversity is not problem if they are white and everyone white but if you are majority Asian , Hispanic, or black and leadership is white it not fair.

16 people like this
Posted by parent
a resident of Harvest Park Middle School
on May 12, 2016 at 8:50 am

Considering a so-called parent meeting is nowhere to be found on the Harvest Park calendar Web Link or the Harvest Park web page Web Link how was anyone supposed to know there was even a meeting?

Again this is a trick by PUSD to not inform anyone of a meeting because they have already made up their minds on who the principal will be anyway.

Also the school has not had decent leadership since Jim Hansen and instead have had a revolving door of interim principals this year while the school administrators in the District have taken District office jobs to hide out and duck and cover from the all powerful toxic teachers' union.

The latest interim principals rotate by day sort of like shifts at Starbucks down the street.

Even if the parents had shown up, it wouldn't have mattered anyway because apparently the union gets to decide who is hired anyway. It's all about the union, not about the kids.

14 people like this
Posted by Steve
a resident of Stoneridge
on May 12, 2016 at 11:22 am

I guess Cholo changed his/her name to Good. BTW, the racism from "Good" is abhorrent. We don't need it here.

13 people like this
Posted by Proud Pleasanton Parent
a resident of Amador Valley High School
on May 12, 2016 at 4:41 pm

To "Good" -How dare you suggest that a person be put into a position based on race? First of all command the English language and grammar if you want any respect at all let alone make demands.
Also, please don't give us the "we do what we can" sob story- I'm a full time working mother and have a second job as well and guess what- I volunteered at our son's school for his sports events, honors events and everything else- there is time if one makes the time. How dare you take this ENTITLED position because you are Asian? That is the exact racism that people from a variety of ethnic groups complain about! You are part of the problem, not the solution and not because you are Asian because you are out of line.
When I volunteered to call senior kids who never signed up for Senior Ball, the majority of those who had not responded were Asian and East Indian- without any disrespect, that is just a fact. When I mentioned this to my son he told me that he has so many friends of different ethnicities and that most of his Asian and Indian friends simply did not get involved in dances or other social activities and as I found out when calling parents- it happened to be true. So fine, not a problem but if you want special treatment- participate and put in what you expect everyone to give to you.
What a ridiculous statement to make, you make yourself look completely ignorant. I lived in China Town for years while in SF- I never complained that there were not enough WHITE teachers, police officers, vendors, shop keepers- give me a freaking break. Ignorant-

Like this comment
Posted by Dp
a resident of Danbury Park
on May 12, 2016 at 6:10 pm

It's absurd to demand to hire a principal based on race. If you want to represent Asian kids interests, get involved.

My wife told me last night that she went to a meeting for a donation drive among the Chinese immigrant community. Their goal is to raise $40k+ for school music programs.

Sorry, but further commenting on this topic has been closed.

Couples: Philosophy of Love