News

West side dog park plan goes to City Council tonight

1.5-acre site is at Bernal Avenue, West Lagoon Road

Pleasanton's 26,800 dogs could have a better place to romp later this year if the City Council awards a $545,291 contract tonight to construct a new dog park near the Marilyn Kane Trail just off Bernal Avenue and West Lagoon Road.

Cleary Bros. Landscape has submitted the lowest of four bids to build the city's second off-leash dog park, which will be a larger and more elaborate dog park than the one next to Muirwood Park and I-680.

It will include 1.5 acres for dogs to run, play and even try their skills on special amenities, such as a dog teeter-totter and a climbing wall.

Comments

8 people like this
Posted by Kurt Kummer
a resident of Highland Oaks
on Apr 19, 2016 at 11:56 am

14 people like this
Posted by you have to be kidding
on Apr 19, 2016 at 3:49 pm

The taxpayers of Pleasanton get to pay over half a MILLION dollars so that some dog owners can legally let their dogs run free. Not that they don't do it already in all of the parks where it is NOT legal to have them off leash.

I don't suppose the dog owners have thought about paying a fee to run their dogs in the park that we all pay for. How about this -- the PD checks to see that each and every dog in that park has a paid up license and the PD cites each and every dog anywhere else in town that is allowed off leash. Every dog owner who uses the park should be required to donate a set number of hours every week to clean it up. While at it they could also be forced to clean the dog crap off the sidewalks all over town thanks to the owners who never pick it up.

20 people like this
Posted by Kathleen Ruegsegger
a resident of Vintage Hills
on Apr 19, 2016 at 4:45 pm

Kathleen Ruegsegger is a registered user.

Good dog owners clean up after their pets in these parks. Bags are available at the dog parks. I would be willing to pay for my pet to play there. I know we have paid for registering our pets. There must be some amount of revenue generated to help (not completely) pay for this feature. I just hope it isn't paved with those huge bark chips. They are awful for paws.

3 people like this
Posted by Half a million?
on Apr 19, 2016 at 7:43 pm

Over half a million to put up a fence? So who is getting the kickbacks from this?

32 people like this
Posted by downtown
on Apr 19, 2016 at 10:08 pm

@Half a Million. I don't believe there are any kickbacks and no one is lining their pockets. It is simply a community benefit for people to enjoy (or choose not to) and is one of the reasons Pleasanton has had a reputation of being a nice place to live, but you wouldn't think so reading this blog section on any given day.

2 people like this
Posted by It's more than a fence
a resident of Laguna Oaks
on Apr 20, 2016 at 9:49 am

They chose the lowest of 4 bids to build the city's 2nd off-leash dog park. It will be larger and more elaborate than the one at Muirwood (that one is pretty lame).

Pleasanton has loads of doting dog owners. This will be a great asset to the community like our many other parks.

5 people like this
Posted by Maritess Simmons
a resident of Pheasant Ridge
on Apr 20, 2016 at 10:23 am

It is a much better use of taxpayer money IMHO to install a dog park close to higher-density communities with little to no backyards - being able to walk to a dog park would be a huge benefit to the dogs and their owners. This (my) neighborhood is comprised of homes with ample backyards and the a beautiful nature-like trail for on-leash walking (though I've seen many take their dogs off-leash anyway). Additionally dog park was not on the list of potential land uses that were communicated to property owners when we moved in ~ 10 years ago. I don't think dog parks are a bad idea, but is there not something else on this list that should have been given priority?

List of Potential Land Uses
1. Agricultural club
2. Agriculture
3. Child care
4. Community vegetable garden
5. Cultural arts facilities
• Art classrooms
• Art gallery
• Rehearsal space
• Theater (800-seat indoor facility for the performing arts)
6. Educational facilities
7. Environmental education center
8. Fire station (now existing)
9. Native American history reflective area
10. Open space
11. Park and recreation uses (including lighted sports fields and amphitheater)
12. Park-and-ride commuter parking lot
13. Public utilities and improvements (water, wastewater disposal, flood control,
stormwater drainage, power, and communications systems)
14. Trails
15. Youth/community center

Web Link

4 people like this
Posted by Roy
a resident of Mission Park
on Apr 20, 2016 at 12:23 pm

We've lived in Pleasanton and paid taxes for over 40 years. We've paid for parks, baseball fields, soccer fields, play structures and schools although we don't have children who now use them. Now we get a park for our dog in which to play and exercise.
Why should this be a problem for some people?

1 person likes this
Posted by Disgusted
a resident of Pleasanton Heights
on Apr 20, 2016 at 4:42 pm

Who is going to keep this area clean? The Marilyn Kane Trail is littered with "Dog Droppings". The City has not shown that they are capable of keeping Main Street clean as it has "Dog Droppings and Urine" on both sides of the street that never gets washed down. What needs to happen is that the dog owners responsible for allowing their pets to litter our streets, front lawns and sidewalks need to be issued a fine when caught doing this. The ill-mannered dog owners need to learn to "Curb Their Dog" and clean up after Fido! I recently had to ask one of these ill-mannered owners to pick up the droppings off my lawn, and their sarcastic response was "He likes your lawn" and kept walking. I can only imagine what the New Dog Park will look like if left up to these type owners. What ever happened to manners, consideration of others property and pride in our city?

3 people like this
Posted by Sam
a resident of Oak Hill
on Apr 20, 2016 at 5:19 pm

@Disgusted

I'm a dog owner and I agree that there are dog owners that are not responsible when it comes to cleaning up the droppings of their dogs. On my walks with my dogs, I often end up picking up not just my own dog's droppings, but those of other dogs that I see next to or on the sidewalk. Don't know what the problem with some dog owners is. Dogs generally stop and squat down to do it, so it's hard to believe that the owners just didn't notice.

On the other hand, at dogs parks I have to say that everyone seems to be on the best behavior, and people generally promptly pick up their dogs' droppings (maybe some peer-pressure involved there). So I'm pretty confident that the dog park itself will remain fairly clean.

If you happen to see a dog owner not bothering to pick up after their own dog, you have my encouragement as a dog owner myself to scold and shame the person into picking up after their dog. Such inconsiderate people reflect badly on all dog owners.

3 people like this
Posted by Michael Austin
a resident of Pleasanton Meadows
on Apr 20, 2016 at 5:41 pm

Michael Austin is a registered user.

I was a dog owner many years ago. After having lost my best friend, I did not own another dog. Dog owners and their dogs need their space. I support this dog park plan.

Like this comment
Posted by Pierre
a resident of Pleasanton Valley
on Apr 20, 2016 at 5:42 pm

It is yet more targeting of dog owners. Now we have to go to some special park instead to play. I heard I cannot take my dog to the farmers market any more despite him loving the smells and tastes.

1 person likes this
Posted by Patriot
on Apr 20, 2016 at 6:00 pm

Finally some acreage without apartments and heavy water use!

4 people like this
Posted by Buford
on Apr 20, 2016 at 7:53 pm

I ain't paying a dime for this doggy park, no service fee either. Oh, I'm gonna use the park and bring my hound dogs, but I ain't gonna pay anything. As Reagan said "Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them." We need values in a park that help make America right again. I look foward to going.

3 people like this
Posted by dog lover
a resident of Foothill Place
on Apr 20, 2016 at 10:46 pm

Oh I suppose if it had anything to do with golf or some other snooty thing, all you haters would be perfectly fine with it.I love living in pleasanton and it will be nice to enjoy the view and visit with other dog owners to visit about our great town. Thank you city council for finally approving this dog park.

2 people like this
Posted by Long Time Resident and Dog Owner
a resident of Pleasanton Valley
on Apr 21, 2016 at 6:18 am

All of these negative comments are just another example of how our town has changed over the years. Pleasanton is known for being a very snobbish place....I don't tell most of the people I meet that I live here because I don't want to be associated with a bunch of rich, elitist snobs. I take my dog to Livermore......people are nicer and they follow the leash laws. I have met plenty of ex-Pleasanton people who moved to Livermoere to escape what a terribly slefish place our town has become. I would move but I have lived here most of my life and it's still my home town.

Sorry, but further commenting on this topic has been closed.

Pleasanton's home-grown "unicorn"

Ten Tips for Teens and Young Adults to Survive a Dysfunctional Family
By Chandrama Anderson | 0 comments | 749 views

Can You Afford Your ‘Dream School’?
By Elizabeth LaScala | 2 comments | 356 views