News

Pleasanton changing speed limits on Laurel Creek Way, portion of Bernal Avenue

Changes come after review of current speeds, traffic volumes

Speed limits are being changed on Laurel Creek Way and a section of Bernal Avenue in Pleasanton at the recommendation of city traffic analysts.

The speed limit is being reduced from 45 mph to 40 mph between Valley Avenue and the bridge over the Arroyo De la Laguna, the old steel bridge near Foothill Road.

That section of Bernal has seen significant traffic increases since the opening of Starbucks and the new Safeway supermarket at the Pleasanton Gateway Center at Valley and Bernal.

Laurel Creek Way is the southernmost of three streets that connect Foothill Road to Stoneridge Mall Road that circles the Stoneridge Shopping Center.

With two lanes in each direction, separated by a landscaped median, traffic engineers measured current speeds at an average of 31 mph and decided to increase the current limit of 25 mph to 30 mph.

The new speed limits will take effect as soon as the new speed limit signs are posted.

City staff reviews and updates speed limits on all 107 segments of roadways in Pleasanton on a yearly basis or because of accidents and construction changes.

Comments

7 people like this
Posted by Michael
on Mar 30, 2016 at 9:18 am

I drive around town quite a bit. I can't ever remember anyone enforcing the speed limits. I live on Vineyard between Bernal and First. The speed limit is 25 but cars routinely travel at 40. There doesn't seem anywhere to set up a speed trap or even pull anyone over for that matter as there is no parking lane on the north side of the street. It would be nice to have a sign which displays the car speed like the one on Stanley off of Santa Rita. Or maybe I'm the only one who cares?

11 people like this
Posted by Randy Randleman
a resident of Mission Park
on Mar 30, 2016 at 9:35 am

Michael maybe your just driving too carefully or in the wrong places. It hard not to find one of the officers not working traffic control throughout the city. Check St Mary/Division for the guys on motors in the driveways, or on First St by the school district offices or further down on Sunol by the Senior Center during the morning commute. Then there is Valley with all the stop signs and its common for a marked car to be watching one of them there from a side street. I think the PD does an excellent job of traffic enforcement, the town has a reputation with he kids of one not to play around in due to the traffic stops. I guess its the same old issue that there is never a cop when you want one. I am sure that as most police debts do they work the areas that get the most accidents so they can reduce the accidents there.

7 people like this
Posted by Don
a resident of Ironwood
on Mar 30, 2016 at 10:56 am

As a crossing guard I am always concerned with cars speeding. I would like to remind everyone living in or passing through our city, that Wednesdays the children go to school 1 hr. later than the rest of the week. All Pleasanton schools start at 9:30A.M. on Wednesdays. That being said you will experience a slow down in traffic around all schools so please do not speed up, so that you can get to work faster. We love our children and value their safety.

3 people like this
Posted by Dp
a resident of Danbury Park
on Mar 30, 2016 at 6:23 pm

The posted speed limit is 35 on Valley east of Santa Rita. Lots of people drive at 45 there. It's crazy.

4 people like this
Posted by Margaret
on Mar 30, 2016 at 11:33 pm

I am still hoping for a 4 way stop at Angela@Peters. Pretty much everyone stops while on Peter since they see 4 crosswalks. Be so much safer for everyone. Trust me on this. come on Mike T, this is the main intersection people use for the fair, farmers market and just going from Main street to Pleasanton Avenue not to mention the ACE train lot.

Please I beg you please lets make it a 4 way stop. I am tired of hearing brakes squealng, pedestrians cussing and motorists cussing out the other thinking it's a 4 way.

Like this comment
Posted by Member
a resident of Vineyard Avenue
on Mar 31, 2016 at 10:30 am

I also live on Vineyard and never see PPD traffic enforcement. I'm also passed on the right while making a left turn on my property at evening commute. This puts impatient speeders into the bike lane right in front of a park. They show no concern for the safety of others, just unpunished selfish negligent driving.

4 people like this
Posted by Deborah
on Apr 2, 2016 at 3:28 pm

I would love to see more motor officers in the morning on Pleasanton Ave between Division and the ACE train lot. So many of the commuters that catch the 7:50am train have no respect for no one on that street. They continue to travel upwards of 50 miles per hour to catch that train at the last minute and while doing so, blasting on their horn the whole time to have the person going the 25 mph posted limited go faster or to get out of the way. Also they feel they don't need to stop at the 4 way stop at Rose and Pleasanton Aves (this is a daily happening in the morning at this time) I have almost been run down numerous times while in the crosswalk walking to the train. the other morning some train rider in a bronze Nissan was traveling down Angela between peters and the ACE lot almost hitting a man walking his dog at the intersection of augustine since the vehile was traveling well above the 25 post speed limit.

Sorry, but further commenting on this topic has been closed.

Couples: Engaged on Valentine’s Day! Topics to Discuss
By Chandrama Anderson | 1 comment | 4,589 views

Great rankings for Pleasanton high schools
By pleasantonweekly.com | 10 comments | 762 views