News

Police investigating bottle explosion on Amador Valley High quad

Two students suffer minor injuries; no arrests made

Two Amador Valley High students sustained minor injuries after a glass bottle exploded in the school's quad Tuesday morning.

Pleasanton police Lt. Brian Laurence said that two bystanders were hurt by exploding debris during the school's brunch period, Some people took to social media to describe the "loud booming sound" they heard at the school.

Police are working to determine whether the incident was an accident or intentional, such as the result of dry ice or a household product placed into the glass bottle with the goal of making it explode, Laurence said. Classes at the high school were not disrupted.

The incident happened at 10:05 a.m. Tuesday, and no arrests had been made in the case as of Tuesday afternoon.

Anyone with information on this case is asked call Pleasanton police at 931-5100.

Comments

4 people like this
Posted by AVHS Parent
a resident of Amador Valley High School
on Jan 6, 2016 at 9:34 am

I'm a parent of an AVHS student and never received any notification from the school of this event, did any other AVHS parent hear about this, from the school, the day it happened?

Like this comment
Posted by Nota Telling
a resident of Amador Estates
on Jan 6, 2016 at 9:51 am

My co-worker did receive a very vague message without a lot of detail.

15 people like this
Posted by Email was Sent
on Jan 6, 2016 at 9:52 am

An email was sent by Principal Drescher at 1:57pm yesterday, Jan 5. I have included the email below. It's strange that the email doesn't mention any injuries. In a district that has struggled mightily with perceived dishonesty, this seems like a strange choice of words. When glass shards from a bomb injure a student's leg requiring stitches, I'd expect more candor from the administration. When i asked my amador student about it, she said "Dr. Dre totally lied". Out of the mouth of babes.

********************************

Dear Amador family,

I hope you had a restful winter break. I’m reaching out to inform you of a situation that occurred at Amador Valley High School today during brunch. I was in the quad area near B building during brunch when a loud booming sound occurred. The sound came from an area about 20-25 feet away from where I was standing near the C building in the quad. Upon inspection, I noticed shards of glass all over the area and immediately insured that everyone is safe.

We immediately contacted the Pleasanton Police Department as we were unsure of the cause of the incident. Police were on site within minutes and are helping with the ongoing investigation. Evidence so far suggests that a student mixed common household ingredients in a glass container, which led to an explosion. AVHS staff in conjunction with the Police searched the entire campus to ensure similar containers were not on our campus. We believe this was an isolated incident and that students and staff are safe at Amador.

Please know that student and staff safety is our top priority. We will continue investigating this matter and appreciate you contacting AVHS Admin, the Pleasanton Police Department, or the anonymous tip line at [Phone #] if you have any information regarding this incident.

Sincerely,

Thomas C. Drescher
AVHS Principal

2 people like this
Posted by Another AVHS Parent
a resident of Mohr Park
on Jan 6, 2016 at 10:08 am

I didn't receive an email yesterday either but I had when the bomb threats occurred earlier this school year. I noticed the scrolling message on the AVHS website to check your parent contact info in Q so I did and none of our email addresses were listed in Q!
I don't know if the messages from the principal are being sent using Q contact info but my info is updated and I hope to get the email, if there is another email (which I hope doesn't have to occur).

9 people like this
Posted by Concerned mom
a resident of Mohr Park
on Jan 6, 2016 at 10:35 am

I'm concerned that it took school administration four hours to provide any notice to parents, and that Pleasanton PD put nothing out on Nixle. The district and police departments should be working towards transparency with their constituents and this is not how to do it.

7 people like this
Posted by Late Email
a resident of Amador Valley High School
on Jan 6, 2016 at 10:50 am

I received an email but not until 3:15 yesterday and yes it was vague. I also questioned my Daughter about it and she said she had no clue that anything had happened...poor communication be it the way the emails are written or the timeline in which Parents are notified is just a safety hazard waiting to happen.

8 people like this
Posted by Michael Austin
a resident of Pleasanton Meadows
on Jan 6, 2016 at 10:58 am

Michael Austin is a registered user.

Maybe the police can connect this incident to the anonymous email bomb threats that cleared the school recently.

11 people like this
Posted by truewest
a resident of Stoneridge
on Jan 6, 2016 at 11:05 am

truewest is a registered user.

Seems surprising that nearly all who have commented so far are concerned with transparency or lack thereof from the school district, rather than with wanting to make sure that the culprit responsible for the incident--and the injuries--is identified and appropriately punished.

43 people like this
Posted by Kris
a resident of Mohr Park
on Jan 6, 2016 at 11:19 am

This doesn't sound like such a major thing. I don't understand why some parents are so outraged over transparency and communication. I'm sure if somebody had been hurt or there was a major incident you might have heard something. It sounds like some of you parents need to loosen the strings a bit. Your kids are in high school, yet you are acting like they are in preschool. They will be going to college in 1-4 years and nobody will tell you anything. Why in the world do you think that the principal should be rushing to tell you what happened? Personally, I would rather have the principal and police using the time and energy dealing with the situation at hand and trying to catch who is responsible. It's so bizarre how entitled and helicopter parenting some of you are.

25 people like this
Posted by teacher
on Jan 6, 2016 at 12:34 pm

So, you want communication....so the principal sends an email out to everyone.....but then you complain about the email...and believe it when your kid says that the principal lied to the entire community. Sounds about right, parent community!

13 people like this
Posted by None Given
on Jan 6, 2016 at 4:13 pm

Maybe if the school district didnt allow every inter-district transfer to pile into Amador the staff and teacher wouldnt be so out numbered they cant get a grip on the school.. They are over crowded and loosing control of the school. I have had three graduate from this school and I am sad to say my last is not getting nearly the experience or liquidity my others did.. It is rapidly going down hill. They are so worried about covering there butts and not ever holding kids responsible for there action that its becoming unsafe.. They are responsible for are children when we are not there.. We have a right to know whats going on. Maybe if your child was hit by flying glass you could see the possibilities and feel a little more like a caring parent and not claim we are helicopter parents... there is a difference.

12 people like this
Posted by Me
on Jan 6, 2016 at 4:19 pm

When I was in high school we set off M-80s - may be those are hard to come by now. I'm sure that would lead to expulsion now. One guy bullied me because he had bigger fireworks than I did. I'm sure that would lead to expulsion now. While I will admit it is a little disconcerting that said twerp decided to use a glass bottle, this was not an act of ISIS, just a prepubescent high school dork acting like we all did before we became a nation of sissies.

Sorry, but further commenting on this topic has been closed.

Couples: Engaged on Valentine’s Day! Topics to Discuss
By Chandrama Anderson | 0 comments | 2,417 views

Great rankings for Pleasanton high schools
By pleasantonweekly.com | 7 comments | 564 views