News

Urban Shield protestors glad event has been moved from Oakland to Pleasanton

'Pleasanton happy to have so many law enforcement officers present,' sheriff's spokesman says to have them."

About 150 people gathered in front of the Alameda County sheriff's office near Lake Merritt in Oakland at Friday to protest the "Urban

Shield" law enforcement disaster training event, which is being hosted by the sheriff's office at the Fairgrounds in Pleasanton.

Sheriff's spokesman Sgt. Ray Kelly said this is the ninth year his department has hosted Urban Shield. Its purpose is to train law enforcement

officers, firefighters and paramedics on how to respond to natural disasters as well as man-made disasters such as explosions and mass shootings.

Kelly said more than 100 agencies and 5,000 people, including some from foreign countries as far away as South Korea, are participating in the

event which began Friday and concludes Monday.

A highlight is a vendor exhibit at the Alameda County Fairgrounds of various weapons and resources for first responders. There are 35 different training scenarios at critical locations throughout the Bay Area.

Urban Shield was launched several years after the terrorist attack on Sept. 11, 2001, which Kelly said showed that law enforcement agencies weren't well prepared for such attacks

Mohamed Shekh of Critical Resistance, one of the groups participating in the action in Oakland Friday, said protesters count it as a victory that the vendor exhibit, which had previously been held in Oakland, has been moved

to Pleasanton.

Kelly said, "In Pleasanton, the community is happy to have so many law enforcement officers present and are thankful to have them."

He added that hotel and restaurant owners in Pleasanton are also happy the event is being hosted there.

— Bay City News Service

Comments

7 people like this
Posted by Rick
a resident of Kottinger Ranch
on Sep 13, 2015 at 8:54 am

Why is there no reporting as to why these people are against this event? When are we going to start having honest public discussions and accurate reporting of events?

4 people like this
Posted by Formerly Dan from BC
a resident of Bridle Creek
on Sep 13, 2015 at 12:25 pm

Formerly Dan from BC is a registered user.

Rick --- "Why is there no reporting as to why these people are against this event?"

From the article:
"Shekh said protesters believe that law enforcement agencies used 9/11 as a justification to become more militarized and spy on people. He believes Urban Shield teaches participants to "better control and repress communities around the world."

I don't fault you for the question, the answer was way down at the bottom. And contrary to belief by others who frequent this forum, I didn't think of it as trolling.

16 people like this
Posted by Mike
on Sep 13, 2015 at 6:27 pm

Was the Pleasanton community asked what we thought?
As a Pleasanton resident I am not happy to support the militarization of our community police. Why does a low crime community need an armored tank? A swat team? A sniper team?
There have only been two homicides in Pleasanton in the past decade and one of them was committed by Pleasanton police.

12 people like this
Posted by Derek Barker
on Sep 13, 2015 at 7:39 pm

Sgt Kelly doesn't speak for this Pleasanton resident.

16 people like this
Posted by David
a resident of Danbury Park
on Sep 13, 2015 at 10:58 pm

Having military gear will make police more likely to act in an aggressive manner toward civilians, militarized policing can greatly inflame situations that might otherwise end peacefully.
“Theory underlying the "weapons effect" or similar kinds of phenomena would suggest that the more you fill the environment with stimuli that are associated with violence, the more likely violence is to occur,” said Bruce Bartholow, a University of Missouri social psychologist who has studied the weapons effect.
This isn’t just about a link between visual stimuli like guns and violence, however. It also has to do with the roles people adopt, with how they respond to the presence of others who may — or may not — mean them harm. To a certain extent, if you dress and treat people like soldiers facing a deadly enemy, they’ll act like it."
Could this explain why PPD saw an unarmed disturbed teenager as a deadly enemy?

18 people like this
Posted by Jeff
a resident of Jensen Tract
on Sep 14, 2015 at 12:32 am

The irony is people think this training makes them safer. They do not understand that this excessive assault training is connected to the death of an unarmed teenage boy, killed in this community.

6 people like this
Posted by Concerned Citizen
a resident of Ruby Hill
on Sep 14, 2015 at 2:24 am

The sheer ignorance and naïveté of people like Shekh, and some commentators upon this article, are absolutely astounding. The unfortunate truth is that the world is full of very evil, horrific men who dedicate their lives to the repression and destruction of others. It is only through the professionalism and perseverance of those in uniform who risk their lives every day that ours are made safe. I for one am delighted that Urban Shield has come to our community, and I hope that the exercise remains here for years to come. We need a superbly equipped and trained first responder force because they are the only line standing between us and chaos.

18 people like this
Posted by Ben
a resident of another community
on Sep 14, 2015 at 8:15 am

“Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.”

The abuses of militarized police departments are well-documented and far outweigh any illusory 'temporary safety' that anyone thinks they provide. This 'world full of boogeymen' argument is tired and wrong. Nobody's coming for your vineyard, CC, nor are they hiding under your bed.

6 people like this
Posted by Neighbor
on Sep 14, 2015 at 8:31 am

I am shocked at some of these comments. I sleep better at night, knowing they are near. People who play by the rules do not need to worry.

4 people like this
Posted by Unknown Pleasantonian
on Sep 14, 2015 at 8:54 am

The fairgrounds are part of the county and not the City of Pleasanton. The Sheriff's office of Alameda County has no jurisdiction over Pleasanton. While this maybe an overall issue, it certainly is not specifically a Pleasanton issue.

2 people like this
Posted by Neighbor
on Sep 14, 2015 at 9:01 am

I like that our beautiful county fairgrounds are part of our community. As far as Urban Shield, I like them knowing Pleasanton the ins and outs of Pleasanton. In a time of crisis they will be familiar with our community...Like when the entire East Bay is trying to evacuate to points East on 580!!! Good luck!!

4 people like this
Posted by Fred
a resident of Foothill High School
on Sep 14, 2015 at 11:09 am

Wake up people and support our local law enforcement.

1 person likes this
Posted by David
a resident of another community
on Sep 14, 2015 at 4:32 pm

The philosophy of the Pleasanton PD was always to make a preemptive strike against crime, which is not how the US justice system was ever intended to work. The Pleasanton PD is, in my experience, filled with a bunch of exuberant rookie cops biding time until another agency will hire them and take them to retirement. Pleasanton doesn't need to turn these goons into a goddamned militia, despite what some of the brainwashed, knuckle dragging residents who have voiced their opinions here might think.

That being said, I'm glad the city got the event, which I'm sure is more than an arms show for regional law enforcement, and will bring in some tax dollars. Nor do I agree with the peaceniks that think no law enforcement agency has need of tactical units or special weapons. San Francisco, Oakland, and even Livermore are all prime targets for terrorists, both foreign and domestic. But the idea that the Pleasanton PD is the thin blue line between it's citizens and jihadists is asinine. They most certainly are not, and the attitude that they should be is why I don't live there anymore.

4 people like this
Posted by Laverne
on Sep 14, 2015 at 5:03 pm

I was pleasantly surprised to see many of them at a local restaurant last week. Hot da** even at this age... men in uniform are still a treat to see!!! And...thanks for your service & keeping us safe! Keep it up!

40 people like this
Posted by Village in TX mssing their VP
a resident of Avila
on Sep 14, 2015 at 10:51 pm

"The unfortunate truth is that the world is full of very evil, horrific men who dedicate their lives to the repression and destruction of others."

No need to bring our last vice president into this discussion.

4 people like this
Posted by Elizabeth
a resident of Vineyard Hills
on Sep 14, 2015 at 11:05 pm

It seems that many people who comment here do not watch the news. Look at the latest school shootings around the country. They are happening in small cities people. Who among us had heard about Red Lake MN, Nickel Mines PA, Blacksburg VA,Newtown CN, or Isla Vista CA before they turned on CNN one day and mourned more children shot and killed while inside a schoolroom? Do we want the Amador Valley or Alisal to trend online for such a tragic reason? Personally I would much rather see children playing than piles of memorial flowers outside our schools. I imagine you would as well. How many shop at Stoneridge Mall? At least we have no movie theaters or military recruiting offices. Who remembers the bombing of Shaklee right here in little safe Pleasanton? The person who did that has never been caught.
I always wonder- when things really hit the fan whether it be a natural disaster, an active shooter, or another act of domestic terrorism, are those who are so vocal about our police officers having too much safety equipment going to stand up for the cause? Will they be running towards danger to protect me and my family? I assure you they will not. Who am I as a citizen, to deny those who battle evil on my behalf the equipment that may save their very lives along with my own?

7 people like this
Posted by Ed
a resident of Pleasanton Meadows
on Sep 15, 2015 at 7:29 am

Being a policeman these days is such a thankless job. I don't know why any young person would want to go into that field these days with all that is going on. My hat is off to those who join the force. We need you.

5 people like this
Posted by Damon
a resident of Foothill Knolls
on Sep 15, 2015 at 8:45 am

David wrote: "I lived in Pleasanton between 1986-2002 and it was the embodiment of the term "police state". The cops would look for any reason to pull a young person over and the number of tickets and "courtesy citations" I received for minor traffic infractions was ridiculous. I remember one time when I was 25, I was driving on an errand on a Saturday afternoon with a colleague from graduate school and the police pulled me over for having a broken tail light. My passenger happened to be a Hispanic woman, and after asking for my license and registration, was, "Do you have any drugs in the car?" The result was the issuance of another courtesy citation."

Are you joking? When you said "police state" I thought you were going to give us a tale about being beaten senseless with rubber mallets and rubber hoses by the police for no reason. Instead, you give us a story about how you were properly given a courtesy citation for a broken taillight. I was relatively young and just out of grad school in the same 1986-2002 time period and drove extensively around Pleasanton all those years. I got pulled over one time to be informed about a broken taillight and was let go. That's it. If you got a "number of tickets and courtesy citations" for "minor traffic infractions" during those same years, then that was an indication that there was a problem with your driving.

4 people like this
Posted by BobB
on Sep 15, 2015 at 9:36 am

Hey Ed,

There are waiting lists for people to become police. Have you looked at salary and benefits? Early retirement with full pension...

4 people like this
Posted by Anders
a resident of Pleasanton Heights
on Sep 15, 2015 at 1:05 pm

That is A+ work by the fairgrounds, getting the event from Oakland. If the new exec director was responsible, he deserves a pat on the back. And very nice benefit for local businesses. We are being paid so that law enforcement can train to protect us. Think about that for a minute.

4 people like this
Posted by Just a note....
on Sep 16, 2015 at 12:03 am

I have an attorney fried who used to work in the prosecutor's office and they refer to PPD as "customer service". Kind of a joke around the office.

Last time I checked, police choose their profession and most make over $100K per year. Some make close to $200K not including a very generous benefits and retirement packages. They are NOT volunteers, folks. And when they were faced with what was a "real" crime, a young man who broke into a car dealership that was acting in a psychotic way, an officer shot and killed him after saying he was somehow knocked out, came back to, shot the guy with precision three times, oh and with the other six officers on scene not backing him up despite the scene being quite small..... If you disregard the loss of life here, can you explain why all the other officers on the scene weren't backing their own up and didn't come to his aid? Kind of embarrassing for the community if you ask me. And they are paid well for this.

I speak from experience in dealing with them to tell you that you might not want to count on them too much to act as angelic as you think they do.

Sorry, but further commenting on this topic has been closed.

Swalwell reaches way too far
By pleasantonweekly.com | 38 comments | 1,060 views