Shooter of Virginia TV news crew once worked at KPIX-TV

Earned degree in radio/TV broadcasting atSan Francisco State University

The man who shot and killed two former colleagues during a live broadcast in Virginia Wednesday morning started his TV journalism career in the Bay Area.

Vester Lee Flanagan II, who went by the on-air name Bryce Williams, later killed himself while fleeing police.

Bay Area CBS affiliate KPIX confirmed Flanagan had worked there from 1993-1995. He graduated from San Francisco State University in 1995 with a degree in radio/TV broadcasting.

He was fired from his job at WDBJ7 in Roanoke, Virginia, about two years ago. Wednesday morning, he approached reporter Alison Parker, 24, and photographer Adam Ward, 27, during a live broadcast at Bridgewater Plaza near Smith Mountain Lake in Franklin County, Virginia.

Flanagan opened fire as the pair interviewed Smith Mountain Lake Regional Chamber of Commerce employee Vicki Gardner at about 6:45 a.m. local time, according to WDBJ. All three were shot, Parker and Ward died from their wounds and Gardner was taken to a hospital, where she had surgery and is recovering.

Flanagan fled the scene before police arrived but was quickly

identified as a suspect, said Franklin County Sheriff W.Q. "Bill" Overton Jr. He drove his 2009 Ford Mustang to a nearby airport and left in a rented Chevrolet Sonic.

A Virginia State Police trooper spotted the Sonic on I-81 and followed Flanagan to I-66 while waiting for backup, according to state police. When they tried to pull him over, Flanagan sped away.

After a short pursuit, Flanagan crashed into the highway's median.

Once troopers caught up with him they found him suffering from an apparently self-inflicted gunshot wound. He was taken to a hospital but died a short time later.

WDBJ7 general manager and president Jeffrey Marks said that Flanagan left the station about two years ago but remained in the area and apparently tracked down the news crew while watching the live broadcast.

Flanagan was employed as a reporter there. He had TV news experience but had been out of the business for a while. Marks said other employees found him angry and difficult to work with.

"Eventually after many incidents of his anger coming to the fore, we dismissed him," Marks said. "He did not take that well, we had to have police escort him from the building."

Flanagan filed a complaint against the station alleging incidents of racism during his employment there, but Marks said those reports could not be corroborated and he believes they were "fabricated."

Overton said that Flanagan sent a lengthy document about Wednesday morning's shooting to a news station in New York. The station turned the document over to investigators, but Overton did not disclose any of its contents.

"It's obvious this gentleman was disturbed in some way," Overton said. "Things were spiraling out of control" for him.

The sheriff said he had met the two victims personally during an interview with the pair weeks ago. He said he was watching the broadcast as the shooting happened.

"I'm not even sure that the individuals who were shot and killed even realized he was there," Overton said.

Scott Morris, Bay City News

— Bay City News Service

We can't do it without you.
Support local journalism.


Sorry, but further commenting on this topic has been closed.

Don't be the last to know

Get the latest headlines sent straight to your inbox every day.

Talking sports and life with Tommy Dyer
By Tim Hunt | 1 comment | 1,476 views

Couples: Thanks
By Chandrama Anderson | 0 comments | 479 views