News

SUV drives off I-580, falls 25 feet to BART entrance below in Dublin

Two adults in Jeep taken to trauma center following crash; no pedestrians struck

A Jeep SUV was driving westbound Monday around 4 p.m. when it crashed into the freeway guardrail and fell down onto the sidewalk, according to Battalion Chief Joe Testa of the Livermore-Pleasanton Fire Department.

"It appears that the SUV took out the guardrail and went into the small gap falling vertically about 25 (feet) to the sidewalk below," Testa said.

The SUV fell after the driver lost control and the vehicle overturned, said Derek Reed, CHP spokesman. CHP is investigating the cause of the crash, and officials didn't immediately know why the driver lost control.

The driver and passenger of the SUV were taken to a trauma center with major but non-life-threatening injuries, Reed said. Both women are residents of Salida, Calif.

After crashing through the guardrail, the SUV slipped through an opening between the BART tracks and the interstate and fell to the station entrance below. No one on the ground was hit, Testa said.

Wheels Bus service was delayed due to the incident.

Comments

2 people like this
Posted by Ron
a resident of San Ramon
on Aug 10, 2015 at 8:52 pm

That explains the Cal-Trans crew repairing the median guard railing in this area along 580 during the evening commute.

8 people like this
Posted by Damon
a resident of Foothill Knolls
on Aug 10, 2015 at 9:38 pm

"Two women are in the hospital after their car drove off I-580 and landed on the sidewalk near the East Dublin-Pleasanton station Monday afternoon."

Glad no one was walking on the sidewalk there in the Dublin/Pleasanton station when this happened. That would have been tragic if someone was killed because of a freak accident like this.

As for the wording of the sentence in the article above, let's be clear: The women's car did not drive off of I-580 of its own volition as the sentence seems to suggest. One of the women drove the car off of I-580 for reasons unknown.

2 people like this
Posted by Glad no one was seriously hurt
a resident of Civic Square
on Aug 10, 2015 at 10:16 pm

I know the first reports of this said one was critical. Glad to hear neither has life threatening injuries. Thanks PW for updating the story.

2 people like this
Posted by Driver
on Aug 13, 2015 at 9:01 am

I would think most drivers would be paying closer attention at that point. Turns, changes, stop and starts, actually require more 'attention' than a steady, slow, straight glides ahead. Certainly hope we don't learn she was phoning or texting, instead of keeping hands on the wheel, and eyes on the proximity to rails.

4 people like this
Posted by why?
a resident of Dublin
on Aug 16, 2015 at 1:34 pm

The hole the car fell through is a very small narrow hole. CalTrans should cover the whole up and make it part of the freeway.

19 people like this
Posted by That girl
a resident of another community
on Aug 17, 2015 at 5:33 am

I am the driver. I was fine and my daughter heard some "weird" noises coming from me and looked over and I was seizing... I was still having a seizure when rescue got to us. I DO NOT text or talk and drive. I Thank God I didn't hurt anyone else.

16 people like this
Posted by Lori
a resident of Pleasanton Heights
on Aug 17, 2015 at 4:01 pm

@ That Girl!

Thank you for posting. Glad to hear you all got out in good shape. I hope you recover from whatever caused your seizure. By the way, ignore Damon. He doesn't even live in Pleasanton.

Best of luck to you.

1 person likes this
Posted by That girl
a resident of another community
on Aug 20, 2015 at 6:01 am

@ Lori and all the other folks who wished my daughter and I well; Thank you, Thank you very much. We are both doing good. ave a great weekend!!

2 people like this
Posted by Cori
a resident of Vineyard Avenue
on Aug 21, 2015 at 6:50 pm

@ that girl

I am glad both of you are fine. I was very concern when I read about it. Take care

2 people like this
Posted by Fernando
a resident of Dublin
on Aug 24, 2015 at 8:42 pm

@That Girl - This may seem strange, but I took a picture of the scene as I was walking from BART. Every person who has seen the picture, swears they see an Angel in it. I think you were being guarded that day. Prayers to you.

And, if you are interested in seeing the picture, let me know.

5 people like this
Posted by That girl
a resident of another community
on Sep 5, 2015 at 8:45 pm

@ Fernando~
I am extremely interested in seeing the photo if you still have it available!!! Wow, how intriguing ... I was in ICU for 5 days with a brain bleed and all kinds of issues and still sporting a broken leg and a few other issues. Our daughter is doing well, slowly healing. Thank you, ALL OF YOU, for your concern and kindness.

Like this comment
Posted by Meredith Bauer
a resident of Rosepointe
on Sep 8, 2015 at 12:16 pm

@That girl:

I'm the Pleasanton Weekly reporter who initially covered the crash. If you wouldn't mind emailing me at mbauer@pleasantonweekly.com or calling at 925-600-0840, I'd like to ask you about your recovery.

Like this comment
Posted by Fernando
a resident of Dublin
on Sep 13, 2015 at 7:01 pm

@thatgirl

Yes I still have the photo. Email me at ap41708@gmail.com and I'd be happy to send it to you.

Sorry, but further commenting on this topic has been closed.

Couples: It's Normal to Get Defensive . . . Then What?
By Chandrama Anderson | 0 comments | 940 views

Teens can't sleep in on school days thanks to the governor

Candidates find campaigning hard work, expensive
By Jeb Bing | 1 comment | 330 views