News

Livermore police searching for man who fired shots at officer this morning

Turns and fires at police while walking on Chestnut Street

Livermore police are searching for a suspect who fired shots at an officer early this morning.

Officers responded at 12:51 a.m. to a report of shots fired in the area of Chestnut and North I streets and had received previous similar calls hours earlier in the same area, according to police.

When officers arrived, they saw a male suspect about 6 feet tall who was shirtless and wore blue jeans as he walked east on Chestnut Street.

The officers tried to make contact with the suspect, who continued walking east on Chestnut before turning north onto North I Street, where he ducked behind a vehicle.

When one of the officers approached the suspect, he suddenly turned and without provocation fired multiple shots at the officer, who ducked into his patrol car to avoid the gunfire and was uninjured.

The suspect fled north on North I Street and then east onto Park

Street. Officers set up a perimeter in the area and searched yard-to-yard for the suspect, but he had not been found as of this morning.

The officers at the scene did not return fire toward the suspect

and no injuries were reported to any officers or residents in the incident,.

Dan McMenamin, Bay City News

— Bay City News Service

Comments

2 people like this
Posted by Jason
on May 14, 2015 at 10:35 am

Glad I moved to Pleasanton and not Livermore

Like this comment
Posted by Dan
a resident of Highland Oaks
on May 14, 2015 at 4:02 pm

@ Jason - More officers have been shot in Pleasanton in the last 20 years than Livermore

2 people like this
Posted by Jason
on May 14, 2015 at 4:17 pm

Never heard of a policeman shot on Pleasanton. Can you give me some facts?

Like this comment
Posted by Michael Austin
a resident of Pleasanton Meadows
on May 14, 2015 at 4:57 pm

Michael Austin is a registered user.

I researched the question.
Answer:
Pleasanton California line of duty deaths -0-.
Pleasanton California line of duty deaths K9, Named PASCO, cause fall, July 19, 2005.

2 people like this
Posted by Jason
on May 14, 2015 at 5:13 pm

Thank you Michael I couldn't remember if an officer being shot so makes sense. By the way, they caught the shooters. Both Hispanic, gang members, lengthy criminal records, and illegal.

Like this comment
Posted by Jason
on May 14, 2015 at 5:46 pm

FYI I only posted the first response. Someone else named themselves Jason from birdland and replied on my behalf apparently (weird). Anyway, to Michael, about your information is from line of duty deaths... Being shot at will not generate a stat for that. I don't know where online you could find information regarding the amount of cops being shot at in a specific town. But anyway, my happiness at living in Pleasanton and not Livermore is not just from this event, but from a series of news stories I read about Livermore generally having a higher level of crime than Pleasanton. And also from what I see driving through Livermore these days....

5 people like this
Posted by Steve
a resident of Canyon Meadows
on May 14, 2015 at 5:51 pm

So basically the type of person an officer would instantly be demonized by the court of public opinion these days for stopping. There are advocates for every type of scum bag these days, but unfortunately no advocate for the police who are confronting these peoples causing problems in our community.

Glad they got this piece of crap off of the streets.

Like this comment
Posted by Michael Austin
a resident of Pleasanton Meadows
on May 14, 2015 at 6:19 pm

Michael Austin is a registered user.

Police officers killed in line of duty can be found on line at several sites. Begin with google, ask how many police officers killed in line of duty? You can search by state, by city, by year, etc.

2 people like this
Posted by Map
a resident of Del Prado
on May 14, 2015 at 7:47 pm

Good call "Steve" I agree with you on all points. And yet another reason to put a stop to all these "illegals" running amuck, little gangster punks looking for that free ride!! Come here and earn your citizenship and I will welcome you with open arms, the rest of you can catch that bus out of here.

2 people like this
Posted by Get the Facts
on May 14, 2015 at 7:59 pm

Get the Facts is a registered user.

I remember a Pleasanton officer being shot by a wanted fugitive in the early 1990's, I believe. If I remember the details correctly, this man had murdered two people at a motel. The officer had no idea this was the wanted man, and was shot before the man turned the gun on himself. Happened in an empty lot behind the Pleasanton Hotel, if I recall correctly.

I also remember an episode of officers being shot at in Castlewood in the 1980's. None were hit.

I apologize if my facts aren't completely accurate, this is simply to the best of my recollection.

Like this comment
Posted by Mark094
on May 14, 2015 at 10:37 pm

Pleasanton Officers shot: Joe De Tata and Brian Grover

Like this comment
Posted by Mark094
on May 14, 2015 at 10:39 pm

Another officer : Mark Allen

3 people like this
Posted by pleasanton was nice forty years ago
a resident of Del Prado
on May 15, 2015 at 9:38 am

Illegal Immigrants. you must be a racist to pick on the poor immigrants who are just trying to make a better life for themselves. Maybe obama or pelosi will come to their aid. Poor young kids just made a small mistake. Is Holder gonna investigate the livermore police?

Like this comment
Posted by correction
a resident of another community
on May 15, 2015 at 9:48 am

"By the way, they caught the shooters. Both Hispanic, gang members, lengthy criminal records, and illegal." "Glad they got this piece of crap off of the streets."

Being Hispanic doesn't make someone a piece of crap. Being illegal doesn't make someone a piece of crap. Most Hispanic men walking the streets in Livermore most likely do not have a lengthy criminal record.

2 people like this
Posted by Map
a resident of Del Prado
on May 15, 2015 at 10:37 am

Being illegal does make you a NON-CITIZEN, not paying taxes, working the system that I helped pay for, and getting that free ride, don't come here and pillage our country go back home and clean up your mess !!!

2 people like this
Posted by Damon
a resident of Foothill Knolls
on May 15, 2015 at 11:40 am

@Map

I'm not in favor of illegal immigration, but saying that illegal immigrants as a whole do not pay any taxes is incorrect. They of course pay state sales taxes on anything they purchase - no escaping from that. Also, many pay income taxes and property taxes.

Sorry, but further commenting on this topic has been closed.

Couples: Engaged on Valentine’s Day! Topics to Discuss
By Chandrama Anderson | 2 comments | 4,864 views

Great rankings for Pleasanton high schools
By pleasantonweekly.com | 16 comments | 838 views