The Pleasanton school board is scheduled to discuss and possibly approve district staff's proposal for a STEAM Preschool during tonight's board meeting.
The STEAM (science, technology, engineering, arts, mathematics) Preschool will be located at the school district's Bernal site.
During Tuesday's discussion, staff will provide trustees with updates in relation to the STEAM preschool, which includes responses to any questions or feedback provided at the March 24 school board meeting.
Staff reports said the STEAM Preschool will not only provide a valuable and engaging introduction to education to preschoolers, but also serve as an outgoing funding source to the district.
Some of the benefits include overall academic achievement and school success, less grade repetition and special education, and increased high school graduation rates, according to staff.
Board trustees will discuss and possibly approve the STEAM Preschool during open session at 7 p.m. in the district's boardroom, 4665 Bernal Avenue.
In other business:
* Board trustees will discuss and possibly approve a "Teacher's Appreciation Week," "Day of the Teacher," and "Classified Employee Week" scheduled in May.
District staff is recommending board to designate May 4-8 as "Teacher's Appreciation Week" and May 5 as "Day of the Teacher."
According to staff reports, "Day of the Teacher" affords an excellent opportunity to give recognition to teachers, counselors, librarians, librarians, full-inclusion specialists, psychologists, speech and language pathologists, nurses and other certificated employees who make a difference in the lives of the students.
Staff has recommended board members to approve recognizing classified employees on May 18-22.
* The board will hear and report and discuss a possible poll for a general obligation bond or parcel tax.
* Amador Valley's and Foothill's We the People Comp Civics team will be recognized during the recognitions session of Tuesday's meeting.
* Prior to Tuesday's open session, the board will be having a board workshop, from 6-7 p.m., during which they will discuss and possibly approve the Fall 204 demographic report.
* During closed session, starting at 5 p.m., the board will appoint the assistant director of Clinical Services, Special Education Local Plan Area (SELPA).