Fourteen Pleasanton Unified School District students have been awarded a total of $5,002 in funding from the Pleasanton Partnerships in Education (PPIE) Foundation for a variety of student-initiated projects.
The Innovative Education Grants fund projects and needs that are student-focused, promote creativity and innovative thinking, and offer expanded learning opportunities to students.
According to PPIE officials, the Innovative Grant Program is made possible in great part by a generous grant of $30,000 from the Oracle Giving Foundation to fund projects within the Science, Math, Engineering and Technology categories.
Last year, PPIE awarded over $45,000 in Innovative Education Grants, the largest single cycle award in the grant program's history.
"The high level of interest last year was driven in part by increased need for technology in the classroom due to the transition to common core curriculum," said Susan Hayes, PPIE executive director. "As students and teachers integrate technology into their school experience, the more curious and interested they become in testing the limits of their imagination."
The next PPIE grant cycle is for PUSD employees. Applications are due March 5 and can be downloaded online.
The following Pleasanton students have been awarded the 2014-15 Innovative Student Grant:
• Donlon Elementary School "Bringing Science to Life with a 3D Printer" for 4th and 5th graders
$500 - Jake Morgan, Student; Amy Theberge, Teacher
• Mohr Elementary School "Soccer Club" for 4th and 5th graders
$350 - Senyi Yang, Student; Susan Huggins, Teacher
• Valley View Elementary School "After School Science Club" for 3rd graders
$400 - Tanner Croddy, Student; Maestra Dawes, Teacher
• Hart Middle School Mathcounts Student Handbooks & Workbooks
$100 - Asim Biswal, Student; Caryl Daly, Teacher
• Hart Middle School "Christmas for Seniors"
$400 - Robert Gann, Student; Nicole Langer, Teacher
• Amador Valley High School "Every Fifteen Minutes"
$500 - Katelyn Kramer, Student; Sarah Finn, Teacher
• Amador Valley High School "Green Screen Room"
$202 - Harrison Misfeldt, Student; Eric Scherer, Teacher
• Amador Valley High School "Math Team Operations Fund"
$250 - Christina Ji, Student; Cy Ogle, Teacher
• Amador Valley High School "AVHS Healthy Eating Initiative"
$500 - Jamila Campwala, Student; Sebastian Bull, Teacher
• Foothill High School "Model United Nations Mock Conference"
$500 - Abigail Kirk, Student; Michael Leitz, Teacher
• Foothill High School "FHS Latin Club"
$350 - Edith Lee, Student; Eric Heinitz, Teacher
• Foothill High School "American Mathematics Competitions"
$250 - Suhansiny Naik, Student; Scott Gorsuch, Teacher
• Foothill High School "Foothill Science Olympiad"
$400 - Suhansiny Naik, Student; Rochelle Morris, Teacher
• Foothill High School "Backyard Harvest"
$300 - Justin Silliman, Student; Jim Clark, Teacher