News

New Foothill principal says he's here to stay

'I want to be better than Amador'

The new principal at Foothill High, Jason Krolikowski, describes himself as a "veteran new guy," with three years each at two assistant principal posts in other Bay Area high schools, but said he's come to Foothill to stay.

"Being a principal has always been something I consider an ultimate position," Krolikowski said. "My commitment is to be here for as long as I'm wanted and as long as I can."

The new principal spoke to about 50 parents at the school year's first Friday Forum, and drew applause when he told the crowd, "I want to be better than Amador."

Krolikowski said he learned a lot at two very different assistant principal jobs -- one at De Anza High School in El Sobrante, where he said six parents showed up at back to school night for a school population of 1,000, and the other at Dougherty Valley High in San Ramon, where he said the norm was "go to school, study, go to bed, repeat," and where student stress is one of the biggest concerns.

He gave the parents what he called a snapshot of his first days on the job, saying he knows he has a lot to learn about Foothill culture.

What's local journalism worth to you?

Support PleasantonWeekly.com for as little as $5/month.

Learn more

"I've already seen great things, and I've already seen some things where I asked, 'Why did you do that. What's the educational purpose behind that?'"

Krolikowski said he'll work to make Foothill meet the district's strategic plan, saying "Everything we do is based on this document."

He also promised to get students not only ready for college, but ready to succeed.

"Ultimately, it's about getting our students ready for life after high school," whether that's college or a career, he said, and that he believes in "the potential and promise of each child."

Getting students ready to succeed may be specially significant for Krolikowski.

Stay informed

Get daily headlines sent straight to your inbox.

"I was an average student," he confessed to the crowd. He said he spent two years at community college near his parents' home in San Diego before transferring to San Francisco State. There, he earned a teaching credential with the goal of teaching physical education and coaching. He later received a Master's degree in Educational Leadership from Cal State East Bay.

At De Anza high, Krolikowski became department head, athletic director and leadership teacher before the principal there suggested he move into administration, something he said he'd never considered before.

At Foothill, Krolikowski said, he'll work toward getting the school ready for Common Core State Standards, which requires students to dig more deeply into what they're learning and requires more nonfiction reading. The standards apply across all classes, so that students will be doing more reading in science as well as history.

"Students will be able to read with a purpose," he said, adding he'd model "curiousity, integrity and empathy."

Krolikowski also promised better communication with parents, saying they'd would be told what each student is required to learn.

"I can tell you I have high standards of accountability," he said. "I'm going to have to prove that to you."

Krolikowski lives in San Ramon, "eight minutes away," with his wife of 10 years, Lisa, and two children, Ryan, 8, who just entered third grade, and Mika, 6, who's in prekindergarten.

Craving a new voice in Peninsula dining?

Sign up for the Peninsula Foodist newsletter.

Follow PleasantonWeekly.com and the Pleasanton Weekly on Twitter @pleasantonnews, Facebook and on Instagram @pleasantonweekly for breaking news, local events, photos, videos and more.

New Foothill principal says he's here to stay

'I want to be better than Amador'

by / Pleasanton Weekly

Uploaded: Fri, Sep 20, 2013, 7:04 am
Updated: Mon, Sep 23, 2013, 8:05 am

Getting students ready to succeed may be specially significant for Krolikowski.

Comments

Mr Cheney
Pleasanton Meadows
on Sep 20, 2013 at 10:50 am
Mr Cheney, Pleasanton Meadows
on Sep 20, 2013 at 10:50 am
Like this comment

I've met Jason and I like what I see so far. The comments above lead me to believe that he understands that not every student is headed to college. I hope we start to see more of the shop classes return to our schools, when and if we can find the money to do so. Possibly looking to the private sector for sponsorships to fund a program maybe a way of doing this. Back to Jason. He seems to be trying hard to connect with his students, teachers and parents. Example, he shows up on a Saturday in Novato to support his Foothill Football teams. Keep up the good work Jason.

C-Student
Downtown
on Sep 20, 2013 at 2:16 pm
C-Student, Downtown
on Sep 20, 2013 at 2:16 pm
Like this comment

...or until the next gig (better)comes along.

Dan
Highland Oaks
on Sep 20, 2013 at 4:26 pm
Dan, Highland Oaks
on Sep 20, 2013 at 4:26 pm
Like this comment

I understand the football field needs some repairs.....

Student
Ruby Hill
on Sep 20, 2013 at 11:50 pm
Student, Ruby Hill
on Sep 20, 2013 at 11:50 pm
Like this comment

(Post removed by Pleasanton Weekly Online staff for containing unverified or personal information.)

MrsJjHh
Vintage Hills Elementary School
on Sep 21, 2013 at 4:27 am
MrsJjHh, Vintage Hills Elementary School
on Sep 21, 2013 at 4:27 am
Like this comment

I agree with C-Student. History has shown that the infamous "here to stay" remark tends to presage a brief sojourn.

It was interesting to read this report. that did impress me in the new principal's remarks was his readiness to tackle the criticism of his academic credentials head on and openly admit that he was a mediocre student.

However, what people say is of little importance compared with what they actually do.

Since the district officials apparently found the decision on a new principal for Foothill so much easier than that for Amador, one can only hope that Mr. Krolikowski has some star quality that will rapidly reveal itself in his actions.

MrsJjHh
Vintage Hills
on Sep 21, 2013 at 4:31 am
MrsJjHh, Vintage Hills
on Sep 21, 2013 at 4:31 am
Like this comment

Correction:
Somehow two words of my message were deleted. The third sentence should start as follows:

"One thing that did impress me....."

Teacher
another community
on May 24, 2014 at 2:25 pm
Teacher, another community
on May 24, 2014 at 2:25 pm
Like this comment

Best principle ever! He has made Foothill a family - staff, students, everyone can see his commitment to our school! Foothill is a happy place to be!