A con artist claiming to be the victim's grandson swindled a woman out of $1,900 last week, police reports said.
The man said he was calling from Colombia, South America, and, posing as the victim's grandson, said he'd been in an accident that had broken his nose, damaged a vehicle and sent a friend to the hospital. The woman, who lives in the 1000 block of Via di Salerno, wired the $1,900 in her grandson's name via Western Union. The incident took place between 10:20 a.m. June 7 and 2 p.m. June 8, but was reported June 9.
A wire transfer can be picked up anywhere with a code word arranged in advance between the sender and recipient. Police have been warning about a scam that targets the elderly with claims of relatives hospitalized or in emergency situations who need cash immediately.
In other police reports:
* No one was injured when a trash can was set on fire June 10 near Zorn's Restaurant in the 3000 block of Hopyard Road. Two witnesses reported a barely coherent homeless man told them of a fire in the parking lot. They were then told by juveniles that the man was near the can just before the fire started. The man was not identified.
* Three sets of tires were slashed overnight June 7. Three vehicles parked at Stoneridge Mall apartments in the 6200 block of Stoneridge Mall Road reported tires slashed, between 9:50 and 10:30 a.m. June 8. It's at least the fourth set of slashed tires in the last few months; several juveniles were arrested in one of the earlier cases.
* Brandon Troy Stanberry, 20, of Dublin was arrested at about 11 p.m. June 7 for possession of a controlled substance with intent to sell. Stanberry was taken into custody at 10:25 p.m. in the 3700 block of Hopyard Road after an officer recognized him at 7-Eleven. A search turned up six painkiller pills and $17 cash.
* Rebecca Kathleen Anderson, 44, of Pleasanton was arrested at 8:37 p.m. June 6 on a Pleasanton felony warrant in an elder abuse case involving the theft of about $491.
* Roxanna Kay Eberhard, 41, of Pleasanton arrested at about 3:45 a.m. June 7 for identity theft. Mail in another person's name was found on the passenger seat of her car after a traffic stop at the intersection of Black Avenue and Santa Rita Road at 3:03 a.m.
* Michael Robert Ornelas, 20, of Pleasanton was arrested June 12 in the 1000 block of Stoneridge Mall Road at about 3:49 p.m. for auto theft and petty theft. Police say he took a car that had been owned by his family, removed a $300 stereo and returned the car to where it was parked.
* A residential burglary took place in the 4400 block of Holland Drive, but it's unknown at this time exactly what was stolen. The door to the laundry room at the rear of the home was pried open, as was a walk-in closet of the bedroom of the home, which had been dead-bolted. A list is being compiled; the report was filed at 8:42 p.m. June 10.
Under the law, those arrested are considered innocent until convicted.
Last week the Pleasanton Police Department also listed the following information in its log of incident reports.
- 1:25 a.m. in the 5900 block of Stoneridge Mall Road
- 5:31 p.m. in the 5300 block of Sonoma Drive; burglary, petty theft
- 4:20 a.m. at the intersection of Northway Road and Valley Avenue
- 9:20 a.m. in the 1600 block of Greenwood Road; identity theft
- 5:15 p.m. in the 1500 block of Stoneridge Mall Road; embezzlement
- 9:47 p.m. in the 200 block of Spring Street
- 11:32 a.m. in the 2500 block of Hopyard Road; public drunkenness
- 9:40 p.m. in the 500 block of Main Street; under the influence of a controlled substance
- 11:03 p.m. at the intersection of Muirwood Drive and Foothill Road; public drunkenness
- 11:24 p.m. in the 300 block of St. Mary Street; public drunkenness
- 3:03 a.m. at the intersection of Black Avenue and Santa Rita Road
- 5:12 p.m. in the 8500 block of Lupine Street
- 7:54 a.m. in the 4300 block of Black Avenue
- 10:05 p.m. in the 3800 block of Brockton Drive
- 1:13 a.m. in the 1800 block of Crestline Road; DUI
- 1:23 a.m. in the 3000 block of Hopyard Road; public drunkenness
- 1:55 a.m. in the 4300 block of First Street; DUI
- 10:25 p.m. in the 3700 block of Hopyard Road; possession of a controlled substance with intent to sell
- 9:53 a.m. in the 6200 block of Stoneridge Mall Road
- 10:21 a.m. in the 6200 block of Stoneridge Mall Road
- 10:23 a.m. in the 6200 block of Stoneridge Mall Road
- 12:31 a.m. at the intersection of Hopyard Road and W. Las Positas Boulevard; minor transporting alcohol
- 1:46 a.m. at the intersection of Francisco Street and Santa Rita Road; DUI
- 2:21 a.m. in the 4300 block of Black Avenue; underage drinking and driving
- 3:04 p.m. in the 6100 block of W. Las Positas Boulevard; public drunkenness
- 5:15 p.m. in the 2900 block of Hopyard Road; paraphernalia possession
- 6:01 p.m. at the intersection of Olive Drive and Columbine Drive; marijuana possession
- 11:56 a.m. in the 1000 block of Via di Salerno
- 9:02 a.m. in the 4400 block of Holland Drive
- 6:55 p.m. in the 6100 block of Homer Court
- 11:25 p.m. in the 3200 block of Bolla Court
- 6:56 a.m. in the 4800 block of Woodthrush Road
- 2:54 a.m. in the 3900 block of Valley Avenue; DUI
- 8:54 p.m. in the 4200 block of Valley Avenue; public drunkenness
- 9:32 p.m. in the 3000 block of Hopyard Road
- 7:04 p.m. in the 1400 block of Stoneridge Mall Road
- 8:42 p.m. in the 4400 block of Holland Drive
- 11:21 a.m. in the 4600 block of Mohr Avenue
- 10:37 a.m. in the 3800 block of Vineyard Avenue
- 10:11 p.m. in the 1500 block of Stoneridge Mall Road
- 8:14 a.m. in the 2300 block of Meadowlark Drive
- 6:29 a.m. in the 4400 block of Valley Avenue; public drunkenness
- 1:05 p.m. at the intersection of Stoneridge Mall Road and Springdale Drive; DUI
- 2:49 p.m. in the 1800 block of Santa Rita Road; public drunkenness
- 4:10 p.m. in the 1300 block of Stoneridge Mall Road; possession of a controlled substance, paraphernalia possession, petty theft
- 7:58 p.m. at the intersection of St. Mary Street and Peters Avenue; public drunkenness
- 11:05 p.m. at the intersection of Greenwood Road and Raven Road; DUI
- 12:12 p.m. in the 2600 block of Curry Street; identity theft
- 3:44 p.m. in the 1000 block of Stoneridge Mall Road; auto theft, petty theft
- 3:22 p.m. in the 1000 block of Zinfandel Court; grand theft
- 4:11 p.m. in the 4400 block of Rosewood Drive; identity theft
- 7:25 a.m. in the 7700 block of Driftwood Lane; possession of a non-narcotic controlled substance, paraphernalia possession