News

Sweet Tomatoes robbed at gunpoint

Two men take undisclosed amount of cash

Police are investigating a June 2 robbery at Sweet Tomatoes in the 4500 block of Hopyard Road.

Just before midnight, two men with bandannas across their faces entered the restaurant; one approached an employee, showed a handgun, and asked the worker to hand over the store's cash, according to police Sgt. Jim Knox.

After receiving the restaurant's money, the two men left and were last seen headed toward Inglewood Drive on foot, and no vehicle as spotted, Knox said.

The suspects are described as Hispanic males in their mid-20s. One was described as 5 feet 6-7 inches tall, weighing between 140 and 160 pounds with a medium build. He was wearing a black hooded sweatshirt, dark gray pants and black shoes.

The second suspect was described as 5 feet 4-6 inches tall, also weighing between 140 and 160 pounds with a medium build. He was wearing a dark blue hooded sweatshirt and dark blue pants.

Police are asking anyone with information to contact them at 931-5100.

What is democracy worth to you?
Support local journalism.

Comments

Like this comment
Posted by Toldya So
on Jun 9, 2011 at 8:31 am

One wonders if this is some more good work by the "other side of the hills" gang. One also wonders if these dudes popped over the hill on BART and made use of the new station. Is it legal in California for law abiding citizens to start packing heat when they go out for a bite to eat?

Posted by Concerned Customer
a resident of Pleasanton Heights
on Jun 9, 2011 at 8:36 am

We go to ST a lot, and love the place, but I have to wonder what the doors were doing unlocked at close to midnight??

Posted by Sue
a resident of Valley Trails
on Jun 9, 2011 at 8:38 am

The description sounds like most of the people that work there. Also, most of the people they hire are not very observant. I love S/T but have observed them letting their friends and family walk in, eat and not even pay. I called and complained and they did nothing about it.

Posted by J Flack
a resident of Stoneridge Park
on Jun 9, 2011 at 8:51 am

Paranoid Told Ya So:

From an employee "The door was locked, as the last employee left, the employee was intercepted after leaving an dforced back in at gun point."

Over the Hill? Paranoid aren't you? Don't believe we can grow our own problems in the Tri-Valley?

The West Dublin BART station according to Google Maps is 1.6 miles from Sweet Tomatoes, the Dublin/Pleasanton stop is only 0.8 miles.

And either they are dumb or you are... the BART wouldn't be running after midnight... so maybe they are trapped here.... go check your back yard! How close to the new BART station are you? Please worry!

:-)

JF

Posted by Jim M.
a resident of Dublin
on Jun 9, 2011 at 9:11 am

In reply to "Toldya So" question about concealed carry of a firearm... California is a very difficult state to acquire a concealed carry permit. The average citizen will find it almost impossible to get one. You will have to show justifiable reasons for needing a C C permit. Usually related to job that has security concerns. The average californian is not allowed to protect themselves with firearms. But, then I would not feel safe if someone had a CCP without the proper firearm and confrontational training. As a former Pleasanton restauranteur (10yrs), I remember the tragedy of Dublin's Outback fatal robbery. The video store next to my restaurant was robbed at gun point. Then our neighboring businesses in our shopping center had a series of off hour break ins. I asked the police what to do. The officer I talked to said "carry a gun on-site", and as a business owner at that time, it was legal. You just can't carry outside the business. I finally settled on posting a silhouette target with a nice tight grouping on our back door. We never had any break ins after that.

Posted by Jon
a resident of Val Vista
on Jun 9, 2011 at 9:25 am

I am with JF.....

Toldya, why would they be running towards Inglewood if headed to BART? Why blame people from over the hill? With all the drug dealing and fighting going on in our middle schools do you think we don't have guys capable of this right here in Pleasanton?

Concerned customer, why are you concerned? Do you often eat there around midnight? I doubt they will get robbed during regular business hours.

Sue, why do you care if they let their family in? Everyone does that stuff. My brother works in hotels and I always call him for a deal, my sister works at a dentist office and I get free stuff done there also. Why do you care? Does that come out of your pocket? And you call to tattle on them. No one likes a tattle tale!

Posted by Mary
a resident of Vineyard Avenue
on Jun 9, 2011 at 9:32 am

@ J Flack and Jon! WELL SAID!!!!

Posted by Gayle
a resident of Vintage Hills
on Jun 9, 2011 at 10:19 am

I guess I should expect problems where ever you are, however lately I don't feel as safe as I use to. The other day I was taking a walk on a pretty busy street and a car pulled to the curb and followed me. It was probably only 50 yards or so but it scared me. I was walking so fast I didn't check out the person in the car or the car itself (license plate). Who would want an old lady like me? Makes me fearful to just take a walk and now we are having robberies not that I would be eating somewhere at midnight but it is still scary just the same. Guess no place is safe.

Posted by Amazon
a resident of Pleasanton Meadows
on Jun 9, 2011 at 10:33 am

I'm totally with J Flack and Jon...and I second Mary's WELL SAID comment to both of them.

Posted by Claudette
on Jun 9, 2011 at 11:14 am

I like Jim's comment: "The officer I talked to said "carry a gun on-site", and as a business owner at that time, it was legal. You just can't carry outside the business. I finally settled on posting a silhouette target with a nice tight grouping on our back door. We never had any break ins after that."

As a previous storefront business owner (twice) and a woman who works late, I'm always concerned about my surroundings when I leave which is always at night. I look in Every direction before heading completely outside of my locked business door and park in clear site steps away from that door. You Can't be too careful ~ People who create violent or possibly violent acts, don't care about you, your life or your feelings.

Posted by REALLY?
a resident of Pleasanton Middle School
on Jun 9, 2011 at 2:23 pm

Really Sue? You called to complain about a few free meals? How much do you think those ST employees make? Seriously....and I'm guessing their employees sure as hell don't live around here so they are spending money just to get to work a minimum wage job so let's harrass them a little more? C'mon, go volunteer at the schools or Open Heart kitchen, or do something worthwhile with your time besides tattle on hourly workers just trying to make a living! And with all due respect... GET A LIFE!

Posted by Mike
a resident of Highland Oaks
on Jun 9, 2011 at 3:49 pm

The reported heights would make these two awfully short.

Posted by KeepinItReal
a resident of another community
on Jun 9, 2011 at 11:04 pm

This sounds like it could possibly be an inside job. Possibly someone known to the employees there. Like someone else said, why would the doors be unlocked close to midnight? Let's brainstorm on this one.

Posted by Mellow Fellow
on Jun 9, 2011 at 11:07 pm

Shoot em! We have a lifestyle to preserve ... I'm working hard to be on the low end of the Pleasanton Totem Pole and I don't like the intrusion.

Posted by Really Sue?
a resident of Highland Oaks
on Jun 10, 2011 at 5:35 pm

Really Sue? What is wrong with you? This article is about the place getting robbed and you decide to comment that you complained about someone eating for free? How does that relate to a robbery? Why do you even think it was your job to call and "report" that?

Who cares!!!! Are you going to call bestbuy if you see an employee get a discounted price for a friend? There are more important things to worry about in this world. You said they did nothing about it? That was their choice to do nothing about it!

People like you are despicable.

Posted by observer
a resident of Country Fair
on Jun 12, 2011 at 4:07 pm

To Really Sue?

If, as you claim, you have knowledge of bestbuy employees giving discounts to their friends, you are morally obliged to report what you know.

Sometimes I've done that at McDonalds and other fast food places. I hang around until I spot what looks like one of the employees (usually from one of the entitlement groups) munching on some fries or sneaking a coke. Then I call the company. Its difficult enough for private sector companies to make a profit without employees pilfering onion rings.

Posted by Befuddled
a resident of Foothill Knolls
on Jun 12, 2011 at 8:55 pm

I don't understand how the two lads were able to traipse down Hopyard as free as you please without the police giving them an escort out of the city in the first place. Isn't this one of the outstanding methods Pleasanton has always used to keep its entitlement group population suppressed? I guess when you give the new police chief a 30K raise, things become a bit lax.

Sorry, but further commenting on this topic has been closed.

All your news. All in one place. Every day.

Bond. Bond Touch.
By Chandrama Anderson | 0 comments | 1,011 views

The mayor has ambitious goals for life sciences in the valley

Happy retirements to Vic and Rick