News

New Safeway 'Lifestyle' store goes to council for final OK tomorrow

Retail complex across from Fairgrounds could open before Thanksgiving, 2011

The City Council is expected to approve final plans tomorrw for a new super-size Safeway "Lifestyle" supermarket across from the Alameda County Fairgrounds in Pleasanton.

If the ordinance approving the new store is approved Tuesday and again at a final reading in November, Safeway plans to start construction quickly in order to open the supermarket and retail center before Thanksgiving next year.

The project was OK'd by the Planning Commission in August.

The multi-million-dollar Safeway complex on Valley Avenue near Bernal and I-680 will include the large supermarket and other small retail shops, restaurants, a drive-through pharmacy and outdoor dining. Safeway also is reserving an additional 10,000 square feet for possible future expansion of its store.

Also, the City Council cancelled its Election Day meeting Nov. 2 with the next regular meeting scheduled for Tuesday, Nov. 16. If the Nov. 2 municipal election results are tabulated and certified by the county Registrar in time , the council members and mayor elected could be seated at the Nov. 16 meeting.

--Dolores Fox Ciardelli

Comments

Like this comment
Posted by George
a resident of Jensen Tract
on Oct 17, 2010 at 9:37 am

So the new people step in immediately after the election! I like that. Then Cindy McGovern could be sitting in the Mayor's seat come mid-November and Karla Brown could be a new council person right away. Cool!

Posted by Happy
a resident of Deer Oaks/Twelve Oaks
on Oct 18, 2010 at 8:36 am

This is super!

Posted by I'm voting.
a resident of Kottinger Ranch
on Oct 18, 2010 at 8:42 am

Hopefully, our current council and Mayor Hosterman will be sitting at that next city counsil meeting on November 16th. Let's continue with an experienced counsil. Let's not try something experimental in such a difficult economy. Lets not lead with inexperienced and a slow to commit Mayor who will cost our city even more more in the long run.

Posted by Timothy T
on Oct 18, 2010 at 9:04 am

Whole Foods has really blown it by not capitalizing on a market that's begging for them. Looking forward to a new store!

Posted by Tim Shalk
on Oct 18, 2010 at 12:10 pm

We have lived in Pleasanton Hills overlooking the proposed Safeway property for 25 years. We are pleased and excited to see progress with the land use there, and welcome the Safeway Lifestyle store into the area. We also support our current Mayor and hope that she is re-elected along with Jerry Thorne and Cheryl Cook-Kallio to continue to make conditions in Pleasanton attractive to business and new investment in our community. This is essential if we want to maintain our excellent schools, property values, and keep Pleasanton as one of the best small cities to live in in the United States. We love our town.......and want only the best for it.

Posted by Elaine
on Oct 18, 2010 at 4:13 pm

I like the Safeway Lifestyle store in Dublin, but I'm concerned about one being built in Pleasanton. Why not refurbish the existing Safeway store that is just down the road from the proposed sight? What happened to taking care of the smaller businesses? Nob Hill has already left Pleasanton and now Gene's Fine Foods is in danger of losing business to the new Safeway store. One of the many things I liked about Pleasanton was it's small town feeling. Now it's being inundated by large, commercial, chain stores. Have you been down Livermore's downtown lately? It still has it's small town charm. We're rapidly losing it here.

Oh, by the way -- I support Cindy McGovern for Mayor.

Posted by Stacey
a resident of Amberwood/Wood Meadows
on Oct 18, 2010 at 4:29 pm

Stacey is a registered user.

Still has its small town charm? Livermore downtown's small town charm was only recently invented through meaningful planning. You should have seen it earlier. No charm at all.

Posted by Hugh
a resident of Vineyard Avenue
on Oct 18, 2010 at 6:32 pm

8 years of pension-spiking, globe-trotting, shape-shifting junket-loving Hosterman on the Council (aka Counsil by some?) is 8 years too long.

Hope she enjoys that ski seminar on 'green building' vacation at Robert Redford's ranch in Colorado. Going on that junket when so many people are unemployed and suffering is just plain tacky.

Posted by Stacey
a resident of Amberwood/Wood Meadows
on Oct 18, 2010 at 6:48 pm

Stacey is a registered user.

Hugh,
As far as I understand, that trip was not a junket.

Posted by Hugh
a resident of Vineyard Avenue
on Oct 18, 2010 at 8:18 pm

Flying to a different state like Hosterman did in 2007 to the "Sundance Summit" for a Robert Redford event to talk about 'fighting climate change,' best practices and global warming and the 'green economy' is a junket. She could spend 30 minutes and search the EPA website for the same information. But of course, that is not as exciting as going on an out-of-town and completely unnecessary junket. And I guess she didn't learn anything in 2007, so she is going back AGAIN.

p.s. She never hesitates to name drop "Robert Redford" as you can see by the Pleasanton Patch article they just posted.

Posted by Don't overextend
on Oct 18, 2010 at 9:35 pm

I have to say, I find myself going less and less to Safeway (which I could walk to). I go to Trader Joe's twice a week, and up to Whole Foods Ssn Ramon, once a week, Raley's every week or two....Safeway just for speciality items. I like Safeway, but living alone I eat differently than in past, when I use to cook ! I certainly want Safeway continued success and just don't want them to overextend.
I was in Safeway Dublin last month, nut counter cute, but very expensive.

Posted by Maria
on Oct 18, 2010 at 9:49 pm

I got fed up with Safeway. They kept their prices the same but reduced the size of their products-- six ounce yogurts, smaller ice cream tubs, etc; that seems rather disingenuous to me. I'll stick to the Farmer's Market for produce and Trader Joe's for other items

Posted by Suzy Q
a resident of Amador Estates
on Oct 18, 2010 at 10:18 pm

I like Safeway's new store idea. Less trips to Whole Foods too. We need business in our town. I know Karla Brown and Cindy McGovern support the idea, they told me so on Saturday at Farmer's Market. They also know we have to keep businesses in town to pay the bills and Pleasanton is Safeway corp. HQ. They are both smart women that will get my vote on nov. 2.

Regarding Jennifer's trip to Colorado, does Robert Redford know she wanted to cut off the ridges for 12,500 sq.ft. homes? That the Sierra Club no longer endorses her? Bet not.

Posted by Elaine
on Oct 19, 2010 at 6:44 am

Stacy-I agree that Livermore recently revamped their downtown. I think they did a very nice job. It is hopping at night with young and old, alike. Our downtown offers nothing new-it, too, needs updating. We don't need anymore real estate offices or antique stores.

Posted by Lisa
a resident of Laguna Oaks
on Oct 19, 2010 at 12:07 pm

I can't wait for the Safeway to be built! I have lived in Laguna Oaks for 9 years now and am tired of not having a grocery store nearby. I usually have to go to the Safeway in Dublin or Trader Joe's on the other side of town!

Posted by Don't overextend
on Oct 19, 2010 at 8:32 pm

Timothy T, is Whole Foods going thru with a store across big intersection west, from Mimi's Cafe ? That would have a huge draw from all areas. That's what I had heard around time economy started to tank...might still be on the tablel.

Sorry, but further commenting on this topic has been closed.

Couples: Do you Really Agree or are you Afraid of not Agreeing?
By Chandrama Anderson | 0 comments | 1,007 views

Dublin agencies find creative partnership for new school site

Lab scientists find better ways to ID individuals who die in catastrophic events
By Jeb Bing | 2 comments | 320 views