News

Added postage needed for votes by mail

Ballots will require 78-cents to reach county registrar's office

Alameda County voters have so many races and measures to vote on in the Nov. 2 election that they will have to include additional postage if they are voting by mail, according to the county's registrar of voters.

Vote-by-mail ballots in the county will require 78 cents worth of postage because of the multiple ballot cards from the various local, state and federal races and measures.

The launch of ranked-choice voting in Berkeley, Oakland and San Leandro for this election means voters in those communities will receive three ballot cards, while voters in all other cities and unincorporated parts of the county will receive two ballot cards.

Multiple ballot cards are also required in several neighboring counties as well, according to the registrar of voters.

The county has already mailed out several hundred thousand vote-by-mail ballots, which must be received by the registrar of voters by 8 p.m. on Nov. 2 to be counted. Voters can also drop off their completed vote-by-mail ballots at any Alameda County polling place on Election Day.

Voters are encouraged to complete their ballots and mail them in as soon as possible to avoid the last-minute rush.

Comments

Like this comment
Posted by Eric
a resident of Castlewood
on Oct 14, 2010 at 9:08 am

I just mailed my ballot yesterday and did not add any postage. The front of the envelope quite clearly says "No postage necessary." So, I assume the County will pick up any postage due. If it comes back, I will let you know.

Like this comment
Posted by Jill
a resident of Carlton Oaks
on Oct 14, 2010 at 9:13 am

The ballot envelope sitting on my desk right now says "ADDITIONAL POSTAGE REQUIRED The Post Office will not deliver mail without Postage" (caps as written on envelope).

Like this comment
Posted by Maja7
a resident of Vintage Hills
on Oct 14, 2010 at 11:24 am

I vaguely remember hearing about this issue last election, as well.

The ballot envelope I have in front of me says "NO POSTAGE NECESSARY IF MAILED IN THE UNITED STATES".

Are there two different envelopes mailed out? I have no choice whether or not I cast my vote via absentee ballot in this election; something about not enough voters in my area to warrant a polling place??? (Which doesn't make any sense to me. Just send me to a polling place down the road.)

If my ballot comes back due to lack of postage, isn't that the same thing as refusing to let me into the polling place to cast my vote? Wouldn't I be another disenfranchised voter?

Like this comment
Posted by Ann
a resident of Val Vista
on Oct 14, 2010 at 3:44 pm

If your ballot comes back in the mail, you can always take it to a polling place on November 2nd and turn it in there.

Like this comment
Posted by Eric
a resident of Castlewood
on Oct 15, 2010 at 8:52 am

OK, since I mailed mine already, I double checked the envelope of my wife's ballot. It says "No postage necessary if mailed in the United States" in the corner where a stamp would be. Above the Registrar of Voters address it says "Postage will be paid by addresee." I double checked envelope and the inserts. No mention of adding additional postage. I, too, am supposed to vote by mail since there is no polling place for my precinct. Maybe there are two different envelopes. Confusing.

Like this comment
Posted by Sabrina
on Oct 15, 2010 at 2:25 pm

This is a really good system. Voters that can't read or add don't get their ballots counted. Too bad they didn't have that system in Florida in 2000.

Sorry, but further commenting on this topic has been closed.

Couples: A Relationship Test . . .
By Chandrama Anderson | 1 comment | 803 views

Bringing great burgers to downtown Pleasanton

Making the Most of Your College Visit