News

Ski boat, trailer go up in flames on Paseo Santa Cruz

Fire investigators believe fire was deliberately set

Pleasanton police are investigating a ski boat and trailer fire they believe was caused by arson.

Police officers responded at about 1:15 a.m. Saturday to a report of a boat on fire in the 7800 block of Paseo Santa Cruz. The officers arrived to find a Malibu ski boat and trailer engulfed in flames, as well as a tree at the nearby Pleasanton Tennis and Community Park, police said.

Firefighters extinguished the blaze, and fire investigators determined later Sunday morning that its source was not electrical. Officers searched the area but did not find any possible suspects.

There was no damage to any nearby homes or other structures, and no one was injured in the fire, according to police. Anyone with information about the fire is asked to call Pleasanton police at (925) 931-5100.

Comments

Like this comment
Posted by Colette
a resident of Del Prado
on Sep 27, 2010 at 11:05 am

I think your timeline is off. I live down the street and I heard sirens Friday night. Drove by and saw it burned to a crisp on Saturday morning after my son's soccer game. It is a mess! I sure hope that whoever started it is caught!

Like this comment
Posted by Devon
a resident of Apperson Ridge
on Sep 27, 2010 at 3:12 pm

Hopefully the person(s) responsible for this crime get caught soon. This is senseless...what do these people have to gain by destroying others' property?

On a different note, any idea who is responsible for hauling that burnt boat out of the neighborhood? It's definitely an eyesore.

Like this comment
Posted by Yikes
a resident of Donlon Elementary School
on Sep 27, 2010 at 4:28 pm

Probably wouldn't hurt to see how far behind the owner was on his/her payments. These things cost over $50k new and now you couldn't sell one for $15k...do the math.

Like this comment
Posted by del prado neighbor
a resident of Del Prado
on Sep 27, 2010 at 10:45 pm

I can not believe that someone would write a comment like that!! Insinuating that the owner would do something like that. What happened to innocent until proven guilty. These are our neighbors.

Like this comment
Posted by John DeFreitas
a resident of Donlon Elementary School
on Sep 28, 2010 at 12:15 pm

Addressed to 'Yikes': I am the owner of the boat that caught fire on the morning of Saturday September 25th at approximately 1:05am. I am also a member of the Donlon Elementary School community. Your negativity and suggestions without knowing any facts is an embarrassment to your character.
The facts are:
1) According to the Fire Investigator the boat was burned too badly to determine cause.
2) The FI ruled it as a possible arson because he was unable to find any signs of electical problems.
3)The boat was in maticulus condition. As many of my neighbors could attest, I could often be seen washing, polishing and waxing the boat in my driveway.
4) Although it is of nobody's business, to eliminate any suspicion your negativity may have caused, I will say, I was behind no payments. I paid for and have had Title to the boat since its purchase from the factory brand new.
I encourage you to stand behind your comment and post your true name. At that time I will invite you to view the Title for your own satisfaction.

To my neighbors: I appologize for the eye sore the burned boat has caused our neighborhood. I have been informed by my Insurance that the boat will be removed tomorrow, Wednesday Sept. 29th.

John DeFreitas
7879 Paseo Santa Cruz

Like this comment
Posted by Ease Up
a resident of Donlon Elementary School
on Sep 28, 2010 at 12:22 pm

Geez, Yikes -- way to hit a guy when he's down. Too often, people go to the negative. The guy lost his boat -- have some compassion.

Like this comment
Posted by Amber's Mom
a resident of Country Fair
on Sep 28, 2010 at 12:48 pm

John,
We are so sorry for the loss of your boat.
Sincerely, Pat and Dorene Carroll

Like this comment
Posted by John
a resident of Ponderosa
on Sep 28, 2010 at 4:06 pm

John,

Very sorry for the loss of your boat.

This is an unfortunate reminder to all of us living in Ponderosa that these criminals do roam our neighborhood. We all need to be vigilant and report any and all suspicious people in our neighborhood. Arming ourselves with video cameras that monitor our streets may be a good idea. We need to let these criminals know that a crime committed on one of our neighbors is a crime against the whole neighborhood.

Like this comment
Posted by cha cha
a resident of Canyon Creek
on Sep 30, 2010 at 7:44 pm

IT WAS A WAKEBOARDING BOAT NOT A SKI BOAT!!!... do your job and get the facts right

Posted by Name hidden
a resident of Ridgeview Commons

on Jun 5, 2017 at 1:46 am

Due to repeated violations of our Terms of Use, comments from this poster are automatically removed. Why?

Sorry, but further commenting on this topic has been closed.

Swalwell reaches way too far
By pleasantonweekly.com | 42 comments | 1,243 views

Couples: The ABCs of Love
By Chandrama Anderson | 0 comments | 754 views

Thorne launches bid for re-election as mayor
By Jeb Bing | 0 comments | 67 views