News

3 of those Injured Vasco Road crash weren't wearing seat belts

12-year-old thrown from vehicle losing part of one arm

A single vehicle accident in unincorporated Contra Costa County on Friday night severely maimed one boy and caused five other people to be transferred to local hospitals, the California Highway Patrol said.

At about 10:25 p.m. Friday, a 1998 Toyota Land Cruiser that was traveling northbound on Vasco Road just north of the Alameda County line veered off the roadway after executing "an unsafe turning maneuver," according to a CHP report of the crash.

The sports utility vehicle - which was carrying one adult driver, three 11-year-old boys and two 12-year-old boys - hit a dirt embankment on the east shoulder of the road and rolled over, launching two of the juveniles out of the vehicle, CHP said.

The left arm of a 12-year-old boy who was ejected from the car was partially amputated below the elbow in the crash, according to CHP Officer Ralph Caggiano. That boy also had a laceration on his left leg, Caggiano said.

The other juveniles all reportedly suffered minor injuries in the crash, ranging from complaints of pain to a minor laceration on one of the 11-year-olds, the report said.

The severely injured boy and the other juvenile who was thrown from the car were air-lifted to Children's Hospital in Oakland, the CHP report said. The other three boys and the driver, a 33-year-old man from Oakley, were taken by ambulance to Sutter Delta Medical Center in Antioch.

Three of the juveniles, including the boy whose arm was severed, were not wearing seat belts, CHP said. It was determined that alcohol was not a factor in this crash, they reported.

Vasco Road has historically been a particularly dangerous stretch of roadway in Contra Costa County, claiming 16 lives between 1996 and 2008.

A two-part safety improvement project that will widen the road and create a median barrier along the most dangerous 2.5 miles of the route broke ground on May 24. The project is expected to be completed in late 2011.

Kyveli Diener, Bay City News

Comments

Like this comment
Posted by Daniel
a resident of another community
on Sep 16, 2010 at 5:40 pm

Hey one of the guys that is 12 I know him, he goes to my school!

Like this comment
Posted by Sal
a resident of Amberwood/Wood Meadows
on Sep 16, 2010 at 6:39 pm

I have learned one thing in my six years of living here, stay off Vasco Road. I have never been on it and I never will.

Like this comment
Posted by tango
a resident of Vineyard Avenue
on Sep 17, 2010 at 12:36 pm

Vasco Rd, is not so bad, it is the people who drive it. If the rules are followed no one should get hurt. There in lies the problem. I am so sorry for the families of those children, but the driver should not started the car before all the seat belts were fastened. If child a takes off the seat belt in transit , then the driver should pull over in a safe area until the seat belt is again fastened. On Vasco you can be following the rules , but the driver that isn't may be the death of you or others.

1 person likes this
Posted by Concerned Mom
a resident of Livermore
on Sep 22, 2010 at 10:31 am

Is there any update about these boys? One child had a severe injury to his arm? Were they traveling to a sporting event? How is the driver and did they determine if he was speeding?

Like this comment
Posted by Vasco driver
on Sep 23, 2010 at 8:50 pm

Vasco Road is mostly a two-way road without a divider; it twists and turns through the hills, at night there are few lights, and people DRIVE TOO FAST. If I go the speed limit, they ride my tail and flash their lights. I am so sorry about these children getting hurt---they were not diving the car.

13 people like this
Posted by Mom
a resident of Livermore
on Sep 11, 2016 at 3:46 am

This is the mom of the 12 year old boy who was ejected from the car and arm partially severed. I am happy to report my son is now 18 years old and graduated from high school, and yes with both of his arm!!!! He is working and in college. I am extremely proud of my little prince. Yes, it was struggle after the accident but none the less my baby is here and doing great..My son was a trooper through the whole ordeal. Me on the other hand was a wreck!! He is the one that helped me keep it together. Funny right, he is the one injured but he is helping his mom be strong. Gotta love him. Today, marks year 6 of this terrible accident. The most terrifying and horrific day of my son and I life. Although my son is all grown up, this day still effects me. It brings back that dreadful phone call, seeing my baby laying in the ER of CHO bloody and in and out of consciousness. Hard to forget. By the grace of God and prayers that went up for him, he is where he is today. My son is amazing!!! Thank you lord for your grace and mercy

5 people like this
Posted by @Mom
a resident of Mission Park
on Sep 11, 2016 at 7:39 am

@Mom is a registered user.

Thanks so much for that update. I'm so happy to hear it!! And thrilled to hear your son is thriving, and that you could both there for each other in a time of substantial need. Best of luck for you both, and especially to your son and his bright future!

Sorry, but further commenting on this topic has been closed.

Couples: Drop Your Keyboard!
By Chandrama Anderson | 1 comment | 7,773 views

Scott Raty bows out as CEO of Pleasanton Chamber
By Jeb Bing | 0 comments | 264 views

Nominations due by Sept. 17

Pleasanton Weekly and DanvilleSanRamon.com are once again putting out a call for nominations and sponsorships for the annual Tri-Valley Heroes awards - our salute to the community members dedicated to bettering the Tri-Valley and the lives of its residents.

Nomination form