News

Guess, 4 other new stores opening at Stoneridge Shopping Center

Simon names veteran executive as new manager of mall

Stoneridge Shopping Center will open five new stores before the end of the year, including Guess, a retailer of luxury American name-brand clothing line.

At the same time, the Simon Property Group, which owns and operates Stoneridge, announced that it has promoted Mike Short as the center's new general manager.

Short previously worked at other Simon properties, including Hilltop Mall in Richmond, Coddingtown Mall in Santa Rosa and Santa Rosa Plaza. Prior to joining Simon, Short had 10 years of diverse management experience within the shopping center industry.

"Stoneridge Shopping Center is the premier shopping and dining destination of the East Bay," Short said. "I am excited for the opportunity to help steer the center during this time of extraordinary growth."

Besides Guess, Stoneridge, which currently has five department stores and over 165 specialty stores, also will welcome MAC Cosmetics, LoveSac, Brighton Collectibles and Massage Journey.

Of the new stores, Guess is expected to open later this summer and will be the only East Bay location of the international brand, with a 4,200 square foot space on the lower level in Grand Court.

MAC Cosmetics, a popular makeup company, will also opening this summer and will be located on the lower level close to Guest Services. The new retail spaces will cover close to 10,000 square feet.

LoveSac, which sells beanbags and "alternative furniture", will open this summer on the upper level near Macy's Women's, just the second Bay Area location for the store.

Massage Journey, a former kiosk that offers on-the-go deep tissue massages, will open in a permanent location near the Cheesecake Factory mall entrance this summer.

Later this year, Brighton Collectibles will open on the upper level above Grand Court. The jewelry and accessories retailer expects to be open before the Christmas holiday shopping season starts.

In addition, the existing Gap spaces at the mall are currently undergoing a complete remodel to bring the Stoneridge locations in line with the brand's existing store concept.

"We are thrilled to increase the lineup of shops at Stoneridge Shopping Center," said Carrie Williams, director of marketing and business development. "Complementing our extensive selection of retailers, these fantastic additions will continue to improve the shopping experience for our customers."

Comments

Like this comment
Posted by Claudette
on Aug 5, 2010 at 9:23 am

I love Stoneridge with the variety of stores it has to offer anything and everything you need, but Original Fine Art. Well, I've arranged to have an ART Exhibition in the Center Court, October 22 & 23 and are Gathering Local Artists as we speak. If you would like a chance to show your Original Art for a couple of days at this mall, e-mail me 2 jpegs of your work for approval at PoetryOnCanvas@Mac.com for a Unique 2 day Exhibition. Professional Local & Emerging Artists ~ 925 461-5084 for more details.

Posted by colette
a resident of Del Prado
on Aug 5, 2010 at 2:23 pm

I love Stoneridge Mall and the variety of stores it has to offer its shoppers! The only thing I dread about going to the mall is walking down the main aisle and being beckoned by the people in the kiosks! If I want to purchase something from them, I will go to their kiosk. Some are better than others, but if I have to have one more person follow me as I walk asking me if they can "ask me a question", I think I might not be so friendly. Management says they are not suppose to approach you unless you make eye contact with them. Many do not adhere to that policy, and make you feel like you are walking the streets of Tiajuana with all of the peddlers! Drives me crazy. Perhaps the new manager will do something about that...I always like to be friendly, but at times, I feel like just telling them to leave me alone!

Posted by Daniel Bradford
a resident of Foothill High School
on Aug 5, 2010 at 9:58 pm

Things I love about the Stoneridge Mall:

It's safe. There has never been a gang-related shooting while I've shopped there.

The Apple Store. Even though it's a misleading name, as they don't actually sell any sort of fruit. Best customer service in the mall, though, and I drop by every so often to fondle the technical gadgets.

The sales people. Every store I've visited has knowledgeable and friendly sales help.

Things I don't love about the Stoneridge Mall:

The kiosks. I feel like I'm walking through a gallery of carnival barkers. Like most men, I have weak sales resistance, which is another reason those kiosks are so dangerous.

The Parade of Fashion. By this I mean many of the other customers, who apparently spend many hours on arranging their clothes and hair before shopping. I'm made to feel out of place simply because I choose to go shopping wearing my flannel bathrobe and some unlaced high-top sneakers.

Abercrombie and Fitch. I once wandered in there, curious, and was quickly steered back out. Since I'm over 25 years old and don't look like an A&F catalog model, I was apparently scaring away the trade, or in imminent danger of doing so.

Posted by Claudette
on Aug 6, 2010 at 10:04 am

I agree about the Kiosks people that approach you as you walk by. Smiling is welcoming enough, but the hard sell and entering into your personal space puts me off too. I guess we just need to bring this up with the management. But the mall is beautiful and they have put a lot of money and effort into bringing in the best stores.

I'm 55 and feel hesitant in walking into Abercrombie too but I do from time to time :) So far I haven't been chased out. Sometimes with a smile you can disarm someone who is negative.

Talking to the Marketing Director Carrie, to get a temporary event in the mall was great. Nice, personable and approachable which is a great reflection of the Mall. I've just added pictures to my website with views of the Grand Court if you want to check it out :
Web Link

Posted by Steve
a resident of Stoneridge
on Aug 6, 2010 at 10:13 am

The aggressive kiosk operators are a big turn off. Management needs to reign them in.

Posted by Ryan
on Aug 6, 2010 at 10:33 am

Wow, 4 out of 5 comments are complaining about the kiosks (I'm not including this comment in the count). This is a problem with many malls I've been to but a bigger issue here given that the kiosks are located near the center (thus, nearly impossible to avoid).

That being said, I really like this mall as well. Clean, lots of nice stores, good food and very safe (as in: no packs of thug-looking types roaming about). I remember one time I was in another mall **cough** Oakridge Mall in San Jose **cough** and I accidentally brushed up against this guy and even though I gave the apology he looked back at me as if I poisoned his pet dog or something. Thankfully, none of that crap here.

Posted by Steve
a resident of Stoneridge
on Aug 6, 2010 at 11:17 am

After having lived in Fremont for several years before moving to Pleasanton in 2003, I do appreciate a clean, upscale mall. However, Stoneridge really needs to tackle the lack of a food court.

Yes, there are restaurants scattered throughout the mall, but when I take my kids to the mall, it's nice to eat healthy while letting the kids eat the kid food (although I do like bagel dogs every once in a while!).

It'll probably require an addition to add the food court, so I don't hold out any hope it'll be done anytime soon, but it would be nice.

Posted by Daniel Bradford
a resident of Foothill High School
on Aug 6, 2010 at 3:32 pm

Claudette, if they let you stay at the A&F store, then you probably look younger than your age.

The A&F kiddies weren't rude to me, really, they just kept giving me directions to JC Penney's until I took the hint :D

Posted by Dave Locks
a resident of Foothill High School
on Aug 6, 2010 at 4:53 pm

Can the cologne smell emitting from A&F get any stronger? It almost knocks me out as I walk past the store while still avoiding the kiosk guys on the opposite side of the walkway.

Posted by unknown
on Aug 6, 2010 at 7:27 pm

I love the Stoneridge Mall. I hope the new Bart station does not change the atmosphere.

Posted by maja7
a resident of Vintage Hills
on Aug 7, 2010 at 11:17 am

I'm a woman that really doesn't enjoy shopping. But, with 4 kids I find myself at the Mall sometimes. Glad to hear that I am not the only one that finds the kiosks annoying, bordering on harassment. It If I have to go from one end of the Mall to the other I will gladly walk on the upper level merely to avoid the kiosks. Guess I'll be in trouble if they put kiosks on the upper level! Don't want to give them any ideas.

Posted by jaci
a resident of another community
on Aug 9, 2010 at 9:00 am

Just wait until the new Bart station opens. Look what happened to Bayfair

Posted by Cathy
a resident of Del Prado
on Aug 9, 2010 at 9:18 am

I have to agree with so many of the other comment's about the Kiosk's.
Do we really need them? It wuld be nice to just be able to walk down the center of the mall without them..
I to think our mall will be changing with the opening of the new Bart station.
But it is my understanding that the Mall management played a bit part getting the second station, that in my openion we didn't need....

Posted by Not a Mall Rat
on Aug 9, 2010 at 9:25 am

I've never been a Mall person, worked in too many as a teen ;), but I love Stoneridge. First, there is enough parking, even at holiday times. It is clean, and a great way to walk off the Starbuck's coffee calories. With a disabled child, I'm always looking for places that don't make me feel we should be "unseen". Besides the Pleasanton parks, and Main St. the Mall is one of the few places she loves and everyone is welcoming (with the exception of A&F - too dark and loud - we leave it to the teens ;) ). I agree with everyone on the kiosks and the definate need for a food court.

Posted by Claudette
on Aug 9, 2010 at 12:09 pm

Hmmm Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I don't want a food court. I like that the food places are spread out and not IN YOUR Face. I come to shop not to eat, but when I'm hungry I know I can just look at a Directory in the Mall and find what ever I want to eat. I think it brings the Mall down a notch, when the Food Court is the center of the activity. Defeats the purpose for a Shopping Mall.

Posted by reasonable
on Aug 9, 2010 at 12:16 pm

OK, just one more kiosk comment. It is not enough to say they can only talk to you if you make eye contact. One time I was actually interested in looking at a kiosk product -- boy what a mistake! The hard sell was outrageous. I almost had to physically push them away from me; it was extremely uncomfortable and intrusive. I now avoid eye contact at all costs, let alone actually looking at their merchandise. Management needs to give these people some kind of "orientation" before they set up shop. By the way, the place that tried to corner me into buying $100 beauty lotion is gone now :).

Posted by Disappointed shopper
on Aug 10, 2010 at 5:38 am

I was so excited when I read there were new stores coming to Stoneridge! Then I read what they were : ( None sound interesting to me. The beanbag "furniture" store and the message place sound like real steps down for the mall. The others, Meh. Very disappointing.

Posted by Kiosk problem
a resident of Stoneridge
on Aug 10, 2010 at 10:25 am

I onced made the comment to Guest Services about how rude the kiosk operators were.

They said they can't do anything about it, but that each time I visit and have a problem, I should fill out a comment card.

So take the time to fill out the comment card each time you are at the mall and get the message to management that these people make the shopping experience BAD. I also comment that it makes me walk only the upper floor and I avoid the lower floor because of these people!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, but further commenting on this topic has been closed.

Couples: Wanting, Yet Missing One Another
By Chandrama Anderson | 0 comments | 719 views

Superintendent's new contract may portend difficult employee negotiations

Scott Raty bows out as CEO of Pleasanton Chamber
By Jeb Bing | 0 comments | 326 views

Nominations due by Sept. 17

Pleasanton Weekly and DanvilleSanRamon.com are once again putting out a call for nominations and sponsorships for the annual Tri-Valley Heroes awards - our salute to the community members dedicated to bettering the Tri-Valley and the lives of its residents.

Nomination form