News

'Spare the Air Day' ordered for today - 3rd day in row for ban on woodburning fireplaces

Air Quality District says wind will be too light to disperse pollutants

The Bay Area Air Quality Management District has issued another Spare the Air today.

It is the third consecutive day that residents are banned from burning wood or firelogs because the air quality is expected to be unhealthy.

The use of wood-burning devices including fireplaces, wood stoves and inserts, pellet stoves and outdoor fire pits is illegal.

Wood smoke is the largest source of wintertime air pollution in the Bay Area, according to the air district.

When there is no wind to disperse pollutants from smoke, they become trapped close to the ground and can build up to unhealthy levels, making it difficult for people with asthma and other respiratory conditions to breathe.

The National Weather Service, however, issued a statement that air quality in the Tri-Valley Sunday should be moderate with a high temperature of 63 degrees, clear skies and light and variable winds.

For tonight, the Tri-Valley is expected to have a low temperature of 40 degrees.

On Monday, the temperature should rise to 62 degrees with variable winds at 10 to 15 mph.

For the week ahead, look for temperatures in the mid-50s with rain possible on Wednesday.

Bay City New contributed to this report.

Comments

Like this comment
Posted by garrett
a resident of Dublin
on Jan 10, 2010 at 1:10 pm

spare air day is a joke---who do they fine when we get tons of smoke from forest fires---???? Who pays the people to go out and look for smoke????

Posted by frank
a resident of Pleasanton Heights
on Jan 10, 2010 at 6:54 pm

garrett, when was the last time a forest fire stuck fumes into your breathing air? Do you ever venture outside your house these winter days, evenings, mornings, or afternoons, and breath in your neighbor's fireplace? If not, maybe you need some exercise.

Posted by letsgo
on Jan 10, 2010 at 10:35 pm

frank - last summer a forest fire stuck fumes into my breathing air. And why should garrett go outside if the air is so bad/

Posted by Tonyagc
a resident of Livermore
on Jan 11, 2010 at 8:15 am

I gotta agree with Garrett on this one. I have been breathing in my neighbor's fires for the last couple of days. No one says anything, they aren't fined and they are still lighting up. And here I cough.

Posted by Stacy
on Jan 11, 2010 at 8:33 am

Any of you whiners ever been to a barbecue?

Posted by Dominic
a resident of Del Prado
on Jan 11, 2010 at 9:21 am

We must fight and get this communist law repealed! I did not move to Pleasanton to have some idiot tell me I cannot burn wood in my fireplace...Let's start a grass roots movement against this...any ideas? Who can we write and call?

Posted by ToTonyagc
a resident of Castlewood
on Jan 11, 2010 at 9:44 am

why don't you rat out your neighbor like a good communist. maybe they would burn your house down to thank you.

Posted by Ban Woodburning
on Jan 11, 2010 at 10:36 am

You pigs that don't give a damn about your neighbors ought to be barbequed.

What is the rat out your neighbor stuff? If you neighbor is burning wood on a no-burn day, he/she is a rat and a pig.

Forget the goof-ball idea about a bunch of Communists. There loads of conservatives that are sick of, and sick from, breathing your foul air.

Folks, let's push for a total ban on wood burning so we no longer have to breath the carcinogenic soot on any day of the year.

Posted by Curious
a resident of Del Prado
on Jan 11, 2010 at 1:55 pm

Why is wanting to breathe clean air a liberal issue? If this is the case, then I assume conservatives don't mind breathing in pollution, smog, and wood smoke?

Since Liberals fight for clean water, do conservatives like dirty water?

Since Liberals fight for healthy forests, do conservatives like clear cuts, stream erosion, and fish/animal extinctions?

Posted by Big Poppa
a resident of Del Prado
on Jan 11, 2010 at 3:26 pm

Last night I BBQ'd on my outdoor fire pit and later made a fire in my fireplace. The food was tasty and I was warm.

Posted by ToBanWoodburning
a resident of Castlewood
on Jan 11, 2010 at 5:39 pm

We care about are neighbors. We just don't care about you.
I'm sure your neighbors wish you would move. Just ask them.
I bet you don't talk to them to there face though. Just call the cops when someone parks where you don't like. Your a commie.

Posted by Arroy
on Jan 11, 2010 at 8:03 pm

There's not enough allowable space to list all my pet peaves....!! Think I'll go build a fire in my fireplace.

Posted by Barbara
a resident of Livermore
on Jan 12, 2010 at 8:57 pm

I wish I were more articulate so I could explain to all of you people who love having the government tell you what you can and cannot do that you're all caught up in having the bureaucrats tell you what you can do. You don't give a crap whether it's the right thing to do; you're happy with more and more regulations. This is where our money is going...paying these people on state boards (and there's thousands more of them)who earn big salaries and do very little to earn that money. It's just disgusting!

Posted by The Joshua Neal Experience
a resident of Pleasanton Heights
on Jan 12, 2010 at 11:16 pm

...I love the smell of BBQ in the evening, it smells like...well, BBQ. (OK & victory) Good lord you morons, Garret already pointed out the obvious killing fact to your pointless rants. FORREST FIRES! You know, natures way of saying, "get this ground cover off my ass!" Need we mention the (albeit distant)possibility of a volcano too just to really bake the melons of all you crunchy, munchy envioro-do-gooders. Something tells me that there would be a group of whining, crying, idiots looking to blame somebody if (& then again, god forbid) we ever had a pyroclastic event somewhere on the west coast.

Burn baby burn!

Posted by Be Positive
on Jan 13, 2010 at 12:32 am

Yes, because forest fires and volcanoes are happening all the time through out the winter. Do you understand what the air quality index they are measuring actually is? Do you realize that all new homes being built no longer have wood burning fire places?

Barbara, it not that I love being told by my government what to do, but living in America, it is how democracy runs. It is frustrating that some feel they can pick and choose what law they feel like following. When it is a law that you believe in, you would be ok with those who chose to ignore it? Is this what we value in our society- anarchy? Is this what we want to teach our kids?

Posted by ToBePositvie
a resident of Deer Oaks/Twelve Oaks
on Jan 13, 2010 at 11:40 am

"it'show democracy runs" I can't believe you even could say something like that after the closed door payoffs and non-transparency in the Senate and Congress. As soon as the the power in congress changed it is all behind the scenes and you never hear from Polosi at all.

Sacramento puts these laws on the ballot and we vote them down. All of the sudden they are right back on the ballot because they didn't like the outcome. Sacramento gets raises while we get layoffs.

Now Obama changes the way we count jobs because he doesn't like the numbers.

Banks get bailed out with no strings attached. People can't get refinancing even though rates are lower. Banks make bank.

We may see anarchy in our time. Start buying ammo.

Sorry, but further commenting on this topic has been closed.

Couples: Wanting, Yet Missing One Another
By Chandrama Anderson | 0 comments | 682 views

Superintendent's new contract may portend difficult employee negotiations

Scott Raty bows out as CEO of Pleasanton Chamber
By Jeb Bing | 0 comments | 317 views

Nominations due by Sept. 17

Pleasanton Weekly and DanvilleSanRamon.com are once again putting out a call for nominations and sponsorships for the annual Tri-Valley Heroes awards - our salute to the community members dedicated to bettering the Tri-Valley and the lives of its residents.

Nomination form