News

'Spare the Air Day' ordered for Sunday - 3rd day in row for ban on woodburning fireplaces

Air Quality District says wind will be too llight t disperse pollutants

The Bay Area Air Quality Management District has issued another Spare the Air day for Sunday.

It is the third consecutive day that residents are banned from burning wood or firelogs because the air quality is expected to be unhealthy.

The use of wood-burning devices including fireplaces, wood stoves and inserts, pellet stoves and outdoor fire pits is illegal.

Wood smoke is the largest source of wintertime air pollution in the Bay Area, according to the air district.

When there is no wind to disperse pollutants from smoke, they become trapped close to the ground and can build up to unhealthy levels, making it difficult for people with asthma and other respiratory conditions to breathe.

The National Weather Service, however, issued a statement that air quality in the Tri-Valley Sunday should be moderate with a high temperature of 63 degrees, clear skies and light and variable winds.

Comments

Like this comment
Posted by Grace
a resident of Country Fair
on Jan 8, 2010 at 9:51 am

I am so thankful that the burning ban is in place. It is just wonderful to not have to breath that foul air. No asthma attacks, no stinging eyes, no coughing up crud, no headaches. For those of with allergies it is truly a Godsend.

Like this comment
Posted by Absurd Ban
a resident of Mohr Park
on Jan 8, 2010 at 12:33 pm

I would like to know who is going to pay for my higher heating bill since I can't burn wood in my wood-burning stove. This is simply another example of government's intrusion into personal freedoms. I have never experienced any issue with the air quality in the Bay Area. It's not fair to punish the many because of a few.

Like this comment
Posted by Curious
a resident of Del Prado
on Jan 8, 2010 at 2:07 pm

Shorter version of Absurb's comment:

Got asthma? Just stop breathing.

Like this comment
Posted by Big Poppa
a resident of Del Prado
on Jan 8, 2010 at 6:06 pm

Try to stop me from buring wood in my fireplace. The Liberals are trying to pit neighbor against neighbor by having "tell" on each other. Good luck to whoever knocks on my door and tries to enter my house.

Like this comment
Posted by SoccrMom
on Jan 8, 2010 at 6:22 pm

Hey, why not? If there's a law I dont believe in? I dont have to follow it, try to stop me!

Is this the democracy "your" government follows?

BTW I'm texting this while driving my SUV, drinking a starbucks, with my sealtbelt off

Long live a Big Poppa way of life!!!

Like this comment
Posted by Qwerty
on Jan 8, 2010 at 7:13 pm

I love the smell of a fire burning in the fireplace. Great for roasting marshmallows as well.

If people have a problem with their neighbor's fireplace, close the windows and doors.

Like this comment
Posted by BIg Poppa
a resident of Del Prado
on Jan 8, 2010 at 7:57 pm

SoccrMom,

That's right, I don't care if you don't wear your seatbelt, text/talk on your phone that is your right. But if you get into a car crash and get ejected out of your car and die or get seriousely injured you have no one else to blame but yourself. It's a wonder you made it this far in life without the Gov't telling you what to do.

Like this comment
Posted by Bob
on Jan 8, 2010 at 8:27 pm

Burning wood is carbon neutral. It is far better than than turning up the thermostat and burning to fossil fuels (The tree I'm burning tonight took in much more carbon than it is belching out my chimney).

The dimwits that think up this nonsense regulation can "kiss my chestnuts"!

Like this comment
Posted by soccrMom
on Jan 8, 2010 at 11:12 pm

Big Poppa

I guess along with being an anarchist, you also are not quick with sarcasm.

According to your logic, if there is a law you don't like or agree with, you don't have to follow it?

You throw out words like "liberals" to place blame for rules you dont like, what form of government runs their society your way?

Like this comment
Posted by Chiropractic Marketing
a resident of Bonde Ranch
on Feb 5, 2010 at 9:46 am

Web Link is the most important element of human environment. Man can't live a single moments without air. But we don't think that it is we who pollute Most serious air pollution occurs in big industrial areas where there are many mills and factories. serious air pollution also occurs in big cities w, trucks and cars plying the street everyday.

Like this comment
Posted by Cholo
a resident of Livermore
on Dec 20, 2010 at 6:08 pm

As a RESPONSIBLE American citizen, I plan to drive around and write down the addresses of anybody that with a busy smoke stack that is in violation of the law and report them to the police, fire department, and TV stations.

I'm tickled that there are so many oppositional citizens, more for me to report! I'm not surprised that certain dodo birds are still around and nasty as ever - qwerty, soccer mom,
bob and big poppa...do you all gang around together? Haw sad.

Sorry, but further commenting on this topic has been closed.

Couples: Engaged on Valentine’s Day! Topics to Discuss
By Chandrama Anderson | 0 comments | 2,304 views

Great rankings for Pleasanton high schools
By pleasantonweekly.com | 7 comments | 546 views