News


Man hospitalized after one-alarm Dublin house fire

Blaze broke out at 3 a.m., dog and pet snake killed

A Dublin man suffered minor burns Monday morning while trying to put out a fire at his home that killed a dog and a pet snake, Alameda County fire spokeswoman Aisha Knowles said.

The one-alarm blaze was reported at the one-story, single-family home in the 7000 block of Allegheny Drive just after 3 a.m. The fire started in the living room, Knowles said.

"There were remnants of a Christmas tree in the living room (but) that has not been identified as the cause of the fire," she said.

There were four people in the home at the time -- a father, his son, the son's girlfriend and a friend, Knowles said.

The son and his girlfriend crawled out of the home through a bedroom window and the friend escaped through the garage, she said. The

father also exited the house but then went back inside.

"The father re-entered the living room with a garden hose and attempted to put the fire out," Knowles said.

His son and neighbors helped battle the flames with fire extinguishers, but then dragged the father back outside after the blaze intensified and the smoke grew thicker, she said.

The father suffered first-degree burns and smoke inhalation and was taken to ValleyCare Medical Center in Pleasanton.

Two dogs and two pet snakes were in the home when the fire started. One dog was rescued by the friend as she fled.

"The young woman who was a guest carried her dog out," Knowles said.

Firefighters tried to revive the other dog, a chocolate Labrador retriever, but it died. One snake died and the other survived, Knowles said.

Firefighters haven't yet estimated the dollar amount of damage caused by the fire, but Knowles said the home's living room was gutted and that the home is uninhabitable.

Comments

Sorry, but further commenting on this topic has been closed.

Couples: Engaged on Valentine’s Day! Topics to Discuss
By Chandrama Anderson | 1 comment | 4,526 views

Great rankings for Pleasanton high schools
By pleasantonweekly.com | 10 comments | 752 views

Livermore veteran, 96, has reason to be proud
By Jeb Bing | 2 comments | 432 views