News

Half Moon Bay's world-renowned surf contest called off because of too much surf

Mavericks competition was scheduled for Tuesday

The world-renowned annual Mavericks Surf Contest near Half Moon Bay will not be held Tuesday as previously scheduled because of...well, too much surf, a spokeswoman said Sunday morning.

A swell forming on the Pacific Ocean was expected to bring potential contest-worthy waves this week, but officials determined Sunday morning the conditions wouldn't be ideal on Tuesday, contest co-director Katherine Clark said.

"There's too much weather coming in; the wrong wind and rain," she said.

The 24 surfers from around the world chosen to compete in this year's contest were expected to vote Sunday on whether to hold the event Tuesday, but the vote has been called off.

"We're all just standing by," Clark said. "That's the way it rolls."

It's the first time the date for the contest will be decided by the whole group instead of one contest director, she said.

Last year the contest window opened Jan. 1 and closed March 31, but the contest was never held because the ideal conditions didn't materialize. This year, the contest window opened two months earlier, on Nov. 1.

We can't do it without you.
Support local journalism.

Comments

Sorry, but further commenting on this topic has been closed.

Don't be the last to know

Get the latest headlines sent straight to your inbox every day.

Couples: Mirror, Mirror on the . . . Fight?!
By Chandrama Anderson | 3 comments | 1,229 views

Talking sports and life with Tommy Dyer
By Tim Hunt | 1 comment | 1,219 views