News

Newsom seeks debates with Atty. Gen. Brown if he decides to run for governor

2 Democrats are considered front-runners in party's 2010 primary for top post

San Francisco mayor and gubernatorial candidate Gavin Newsom Wednesday threw down the gauntlet to Attorney General Jerry Brown, proposing a series of debates after Brown inched closer Tuesday to officially declaring his candidacy.

The two Democrats are widely believed to be the front-runners in the 2010 primary for governor, though Brown has not yet officially entered the race. He announced the formation of an exploratory committee for governor on Tuesday.

"Our state is in need of real reform -- we have a broken system that must be fixed," Newsom said in a statement released by his campaign Wednesday morning.

"And now that there are two candidates for governor, we owe the Democratic voters of California an opportunity to compare our visions and platforms side-by-side," Newsom said.

Newsom proposed 11 debates in each media market in the state.

Brown, who has for several months come tantalizingly close to announcing his intentions, still was having none of it Wednesday, according to his senior political advisor Steven Glazer.

"As you may know, Attorney General Brown is not a declared candidate for governor," Glazer said in a prepared statement. "While he has processed the paperwork to create an exploratory committee for that office, he is currently focused on doing his job as attorney general -- protecting consumers and prosecuting criminals."

The statement went on to say that should Brown declare his candidacy for governor, "I'm sure he would support the notion of holding debates under terms to be mutually agreed upon by the candidates."

Comments

Like this comment
Posted by KONG
a resident of Danville
on Oct 1, 2009 at 3:01 pm

NEWSOM IS NOT CAPABLE OF CARRING BROWNS TRASH OUT. LOOK HOW BAD SAN FRANCISCO IS RUN, HE SHOULD STAY WHERE HE IS "IT CAN'T GET ANY WORSE THAN IT IS RIGHT NOW"

Like this comment
Posted by Pleasanton Parent
a resident of Pleasanton Meadows
on Oct 1, 2009 at 3:26 pm

Gavin Newsom is charasmatic, very well spoken, people like him.....hmm..deja vu...

All kidding aside I think he is a strong candidate if he can convince people that how he ran San Francisco is not how he would run the state. If I were him, I would actually spin it by showing that he listens to what his constituents want. Obviously SF is not representative of the state, but during his tenure in SF his responsibilities were to the residents of the area, not the state. If he can convince people he'll listen to them as a whole, he's got a fair chance.

Either way, I'll listen to what he has to say, but I'm looking for a candidate that is willing to step up to the plate and cut state spending. I don't think Gavin fits that profile.

Like this comment
Posted by Cholo
a resident of Livermore
on Oct 1, 2009 at 5:38 pm

He BETRAYED one of his best friends by having an affair with his wife. What makes anybody think that he won't s(0ew you?

PRETTY IS AS PRETTY DOES!

he's over...

Like this comment
Posted by Resident
on Oct 1, 2009 at 6:35 pm

I agree that Gavin is not a good candidate, but I can't see myself voting for Brown, especially after that nonsense of suing Pleasanton.

Like this comment
Posted by Nosy Neighbors
a resident of Pleasanton Heights
on Oct 2, 2009 at 8:57 am

Excuse me for just one moment. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! OK, I'm better, but seriously folks Gavin, any twosome, the beautiful, Honorable Fornicator, Newsom vs. the Moonbeam? Seriously California WTF?! I this the BEST you can give us especially after the Governator?

You do realize that there are 49 other states that have been laughing their asses off for the past 4 years & that chuckling is just gonna get louder. Jerry Brown has been living off the dole from the state of California for his entire life, it's time to send him into permanent retirement.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH...sorry just too funny.

Like this comment
Posted by Pleasanton Parent
a resident of Pleasanton Meadows
on Oct 2, 2009 at 9:22 am

Cholo - I'm not his type.

Like this comment
Posted by Forelove
a resident of Val Vista
on Oct 2, 2009 at 3:46 pm

I would not vote for Gavin Newsom. He can not run a City how to you expect him run a state? Gavin may have model looks but that will not solve the budget of California or get us out of Debt.. We need someone who is strong and is not going to take any crap from anyone!!

Like this comment
Posted by Resident
on Oct 2, 2009 at 4:06 pm

Gavin may not be a good choice, but neither is Brown. Remember his lawsuit against Pleasanton?

I do not know if this is related, but...

Web Link

Like this comment
Posted by Joseph
on Oct 2, 2009 at 4:18 pm

Oh yeah San Francisco is SO poorly run.
Look I said something without any facts.
Like every single post on this forum.

Sorry, but further commenting on this topic has been closed.

Swalwell reaches way too far
By pleasantonweekly.com | 42 comments | 1,221 views