News

Services this morning for MaryAnn Butler, 71, well-known Pleasanton musician, music teacher

Wife of former Mayor Bob Butler joined Pleasanton Community Concert Band in 1975

Funeral services for MaryAnn H. Butler, a well-known Pleasanton musician and music teacher, will be held at 11 a.m. today at St. Augustine Catholic Church.

Mrs. Butler was married to long-time City Councilman and former Mayor Bob Butler. They celebrated their 50th anniversary this past June 20. She died last Monday after a three-year battle with cancer. She was 71.

Mrs. Butler was born July 10, 1938 and grew up in Toledo, Ohio, where she met and married Bob Butler. They left the Midwest for Pleasanton in 1960. After a two-year tour of active duty with the US Army, they returned to Pleasanton to stay in 1963. Bob Butler was mayor of Pleasanton from 1982-1983.

A professional musician, she joined the Livermore-Amador Symphony in its first season, and played violin for 30 years. She also joined the newly formed Pleasanton Community Concert Band in 1975, and played french horn until she was too ill to continue. She earned her Bachelor of Arts in education from Cal State Hayward, and her teaching credential from San Jose State.

She was an enthusiastic music teacher for more than 40 years, teaching students in piano, strings, and brass in her home. She also taught music and drama at Sunol Glen School for 14 years until her retirement.

Besides her husband, she is survived by their children, Michael with Angela and granddaughters Meghan and Nicki of Dublin, Daniel with Brenda and grandson Christopher of Chandler, Ariz.; daughter, MaryBeth Bochner with Jim and grandson Daniel of Livermore, John with Lisa of Grover Beach, Calif.; and brother, Bill Hayes with his wife Carol of Perrysberg, Ohio; and two nephews.

In lieu of flowers, donations may be made in her name to Hope Hospice, American Cancer Society or a charity of your choice.

St. Augustine Catholic Church, where this morning's funeral mass will be held, is located at 3999 Bernal Ave. Interment will follow at St. Augustine Catholic Cemetery with a reception following at the church's parish hall.

-Janet Pelletier

Comments

Like this comment
Posted by Carolyn Hayes
a resident of another community
on Aug 12, 2009 at 12:12 pm

MaryAnn Butler had an indomitable spirit, a thirst for adventure, and a love of music. She welcomed all into her home and into her life with an infectious grin. She is irreplaceable and will be sorely missed.

Posted by Heather Haugen Rizzoli
a resident of Vineyard Hills
on Aug 12, 2009 at 2:35 pm

I first met MaryAnn in 1970 when my family moved in next door. She immediately greeted our family with a warm hug, her loving smile and her enthusiastic personality. She was vivacious, kind, extremely loving and always there for us.

I will treasure the memories of our family camping trips (all of the mishaps and fun adventures as well), the campfire chats, sailing experiences, Independence Day celebrations, Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter, birthdays and all of the other celebrations we enjoyed together.

She was a wonderful piano teacher and had a special way of reaching out to her young students. MaryAnn was one of the first teachers to use fun stickers to motivate her students. Fridays were an additional treat for all of her students as we gathered and learned about music. Music was her passion and she helped to spread her love of music throughout the neighborhood and community.

MaryAnn was there to help mend our scrapes and bruises too. We could knock on her door and enter her home at any time. That was MaryAnn's policy-no door bell, just a tap on the door and enter with a big Hello! She was always there for us no matter what. She was such a kind, loving and giving soul.

I will miss her special knock on our front door. I always knew her knock and that it was MaryAnn with a lovely smile, a great big hug and a warm greeting.

My heart goes out to all of the Butler's. We are all one big family and I cherish all of the memories. MaryAnn's loving spirit will live forever in my heart.

Posted by Cholo
a resident of Livermore
on Aug 12, 2009 at 5:12 pm

That lady could blow that horn! RIP

Posted by Hilary Haugen Dito
a resident of Vintage Hills
on Aug 13, 2009 at 7:34 am

MaryAnn was my 2nd mom...From holidays to music lessons to her familiar knock on the door. She is now our angel in heaven and will live on in our hearts.
Bless her and the Butler family.

Posted by Nohr-Pesusic Family
a resident of Vineyard Hills
on Aug 13, 2009 at 10:42 am

We first met MaryAnn when we moved into the neighborhood. She came over to welcome us and was so warm and friendly! She was always so happy to see you and have a little chit chat. I remember the day she shared a book with me about Alaska. We were planning a trip and she was so excited to share this great book that I used on our trip that came in so handy. I was excited to tell her about our trip when we returned. Because of her giving nature we might not have experienced some of the beautiful things Alaska had to offer. She was the best neighbor. She will be truely missed! God Bless you MaryAnn and God Bless the Butler Family! Our prayers are with you all.

Posted by Joy Wells
a resident of Southeast Pleasanton
on Aug 13, 2009 at 10:42 am

Mrs. Butler had a profound effect on many young musicians at Sunol Glen School. She instilled a love for music in my son which carried over to a wonderful four years with the Foothill band. Thank you, Mrs. Butler for all you did to help guide our students.

Posted by Friend of MaryAnn
on Aug 13, 2009 at 11:06 am

MaryAnn was our children's band teacher at Sunol Glen Elementary, and gave music lessions to one of our children. She was a very devoted teacher with a passion for music and passing on her knowledge to her students. After she retired, I would often see her and Bob about town, and enjoyed an enthusiastic conversation. She was confident to the end that she would recover so that they would be able to resume their world travels. It is sad that those trips were cut short. Our hearts go out to Bob and thier family.

Posted by Wendy
on Aug 13, 2009 at 11:45 am

MaryAnn was a wonderfully joyous person like most people are that surround themselves with music. I told her I used to play the flute and she encouraged me to come and play in the community band. I loved her for that! It was with a sad sigh that I read of her passing this morning. Our hearts are also out to Bob and the family.

Posted by Barbaran Neumayer
a resident of Pleasanton Valley
on Aug 13, 2009 at 6:33 pm

Mary Ann taught two of my children piano thirty five years ago. They will always remember her with love and affection. She helped me after my divorce with a drink and friendship on Friday evenings after my daughter's piano lessons and with invititations on New Years to a wonderful neighborhood gathering. It was a safe and caring party where good food and a good cigar helped bring in the New Year. She was always there for a friend. She will truly be missed.

Posted by Musical Goddess
a resident of Canyon Creek
on Aug 13, 2009 at 8:27 pm

Watching a loved one go through cancer is really difficult. In as much as we want MaryAnn to live longer, it would be hard to decipher how much more agony she'd have to go through. May she rest in peace, no more pain and suffering....
Web Link

Posted by Gary Schwaegerle
on Aug 13, 2009 at 11:31 pm

Dear Bob Family & Friends this is such a Tragic Loss it was mentioned during We Care at Rotary today God Bless & Keep You Always Gary Schwaegerle

Posted by Paul Donna and Tyler Gettner
a resident of another community
on Aug 14, 2009 at 7:14 am

You are all in our thoughts and prayers Maryann was a wonderful woman, always ready with a hug and smile. We will miss her.

Posted by Helen Brown
a resident of another community
on Aug 14, 2009 at 12:05 pm

Dear Bob and Family,

We moved onto Pinot Court on the 12th September 2001 from the Uk. The first knock on the door was MaryAnn inviting us to dinner that evening at the Pleasanton Hotel. We followed MaryAnn and Bob into the restaurant and felt we were walking in with the Queen of Pleasanton!! We were welcomed into the Butler family and in such a short time have so many memories. We know she is not hurting anymore - but boy are the rest of us.

Our thoughts and prayers are with you all.

Love

Helen Martin Hannah and Matthew.

Posted by Diana Larson
a resident of another community
on Aug 15, 2009 at 7:33 pm

Dear Bob and family~~it's way too soon to loose such a contributing and loving person as MaryAnn. It's with a stunned and heavy heart that I send this Email. It's been years since I moved from Pleasanton to Santa Barbara. I'm one of the lucky ones who only has memories of MaryAnn at the top of her game...Most lovingly to all of you. I'll send an "in memory of" to Cancer Society. Most sincerely, Diana

Posted by Eleanor Fong
a resident of Vineyard Hills
on Aug 17, 2009 at 7:57 am

To Bob & Family

We are so sorry for your loss. MaryAnn's beautiful smile and wonderful generous spirit will truly be missed. Pinot Ct will not be the same without her.

Phil & Eleanor Fong

Posted by Cheryl Mensing
a resident of Del Prado
on Aug 25, 2009 at 7:52 pm

I knew MaryAnn Butler 30 years ago when I was involved with her and her family through her son Michael. She was a wonderful, warm, loving woman who I considered a 2nd mom for a while. I have many happy memories of her and her beautiful smile. I will never forget her. I am so sorry for the Butler family's loss and will say prayers for you all. I will also make a donate in memory of her to the Cancer Society. My warmest wishes and prayers to you all.

Sincerely,
Cheryl Mensing

Posted by Jocelyn
on Jul 18, 2011 at 6:49 pm

Mrs. Butler and I attended St. Augustine's Catholic Church. Mrs. Butler invited me into her home and charged me only $1 a week for piano lessons when I was a child because she knew my family couldn't afford more but she still wanted me to have the gift of music. Thank you Mrs. Butler and rest in peace. You were a very kind soul. See you in heaven where I know you will be waiting.

Sorry, but further commenting on this topic has been closed.

Livermore veteran, 96, has reason to be proud