News


Dinner up in flames as couple takes short walk

Pleasanton cop sees smoke, alerts firefighters

A Pleasanton police officer had pulled over a motorist on a traffic stop Wednesday night when he saw smoke coming from a small home across the street at 240 Kottinger Dr.

The officer notified the Livermore-Pleasanton Fire Department while he ran over to check the house. A smoke alarm was beeping but no one was at home. He later learned the owners had gone for a short walk, leaving their dinner cooking on the stove.

Pleasanton Weekly photographer Jay Flachsbarth, who went to the scene, said firefighters arrived within 3 minutes and quickly extinguished the small blaze. No one was hurt and there was only minor smoke damage to the residence.

pleasanton,livermore-pleasanton fire department,jay flachsbarth

Comments

Like this comment
Posted by Scott Walsh
a resident of Pleasanton Valley
on Jul 30, 2009 at 9:47 am

Great Pleasanton Police work and great LP Fire work! There when you need them, always there trying to make someone's day better, even if the ticketed driver doesn't agree.


Like this comment
Posted by unclehomerr..
a resident of Downtown
on Jul 30, 2009 at 10:23 am


I'd guess the address is wrong. 240 Kottinger is the senior citizen complex... Comments in the story don't fit the complex of cottages/small apartments.

House? Owners? Went for a walk??

unclehomerr..



Like this comment
Posted by city worker
a resident of Amador Estates
on Jul 30, 2009 at 11:58 am

who cares if the address is wrong--I can't beleive there are stupid people in P-town leaving their stove on to go take a walk. maybe insurance fraud??? come on.


Like this comment
Posted by stacey
a resident of Downtown
on Jul 30, 2009 at 2:17 pm

The address is correct, it was at the senior housing complex.
Thanks to the fast, comprehensive action by our police and fire services it all turned out fine.
It certainly brought all the neighbors out!


Like this comment
Posted by Tango
a resident of Vineyard Avenue
on Jul 30, 2009 at 4:47 pm

unclehomerr -- You have nothing good to say about anything. Why don't you get off the internewt and GET A LIFE!


Like this comment
Posted by Jim M
a resident of Downtown
on Jul 31, 2009 at 8:11 am

My daughters chicken is missing - I hope that was not in the pot.


Like this comment
Posted by Lee
a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Jul 31, 2009 at 10:21 am

This is not so uncommon among senior citizens to leave a stove or shower or oven on. Hope there was minimal damage! Whoever "city worker" is, be aware that in the future this could be you!


Like this comment
Posted by Safe Not Sorry
a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Jul 31, 2009 at 1:07 pm

Be careful out there!

Stories about fires like this are just a reminder of how easy this can happen.

Three main causes of fires:
Men, Women, and Children.

Such cooking fires are very common - but usually you never read about them, unless someone dies, or the fire grows big. And the only difference between most small fires and a big fire is time, and maybe a little luck.

Reviewing fire statics some years ago for a bigger town, 22% of the house fires, where cause was listed, were caused by cooking. For the same period 33% of apartment fires were cooking fires.
So what was the difference between a house stove and an apartment stove?
After all a house has a yard, more space, seems easier to walk away from the stove ...
One conclusion:
This was before wireless phones were common, and it was thought that in those days the phone was down the hall in the apartments - an extension was expensive especially for a renter- so people would go answer the phone, "just for a minute", then become involved.

Many care facilities have fire sprinklers, as do homes in Livermore built in the last 20 years or so.
Sprinklers do not respond to smoke, and must wait until heat reaches the individual device, so there would still be significant damage, but they would prevent development into a major fire. Fire and smoke damage would be far less, maybe one fifth, and sprinklers usually prevent deaths.

Does your smoke detector work?


Like this comment
Posted by Afterthought
a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Jul 31, 2009 at 10:05 pm

Well unless your the Zuffa's & are trying to burn your house down for insurance reasons, whats new about this?


Like this comment
Posted by Qwerty
a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Aug 1, 2009 at 9:21 am

I think the firemen were excited to have something to do. I mean what else do they do all day? Sometimes I see them at Safeway buying groceries but other than that...

this is actually a serious question. I'm curious.


Like this comment
Posted by Qwerty
a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Aug 1, 2009 at 10:13 am


If this were a single elderly woman living there then I could see why she might allow her dinner to overheat and catch fire. But if it were a couple, it makes no sense.


Like this comment
Posted by unclehomerr..
a resident of Downtown
on Aug 1, 2009 at 4:17 pm


Hey Tango...

Did'ja see what Qwerty said?? LOL!

I'll bet you can't dance either...

unclehomerr..
proud founder of the internewt!!!


Sorry, but further commenting on this topic has been closed.

Couples: Engaged on Valentine’s Day! Topics to Discuss
By Chandrama Anderson | 2 comments | 5,412 views

Great rankings for Pleasanton high schools
By pleasantonweekly.com | 38 comments | 983 views

Livermore veteran, 96, has reason to be proud
By Jeb Bing | 2 comments | 536 views