News

County board cuts stipend, puts 3-month time limit on aid to needy

9,000 affected by reduction in general Social Services Agency assistance

The Alameda County Board of Supervisors, which is facing a $180 million budget deficit, voted 3-2 Tuesday to revise its general assistance program in an effort to save $12 million.

Yolanda Baldovinos, the county's Social Services Agency director, said the cuts are necessary because the program is running at a projected $11.5 million shortfall for the current fiscal year, which ends June 30.

General assistance provides a stipend for needy adults who do not qualify for state and federal aid.

About 9,000 residents receive $336 a month in general assistance from the Alameda County Social Services Agency.

The changes approved Tuesday include allowing the county to put a three-month time limit on recipients who are deemed to be employable and reducing the $336 monthly stipend by $40 for recipients who are eligible to receive free health care services.

The board's action also reduces general assistance grants by 25 percent for people who share housing.

Supervisors Keith Carson and Nate Miley voted against the cuts.

Comments

Like this comment
Posted by Get Over It!
on Jun 10, 2009 at 1:05 pm

Hallelujah!!!
Let's see, limiting handouts for people who are EMPLOYABLE. They might actually feel it necessary to get a JOB.
If this concept had been in place a year or two ago, perhaps we wouldn't be in the mess we're in.

"You don't want to work, want to live like a king.
Well the big, bad world doesn't owe you a thing!"
- The Eagles, Song: "Get Over It!"

Like this comment
Posted by Robert
a resident of Dublin
on Jun 10, 2009 at 1:08 pm

Oh no now I can only play golf 4 days a week instead of 7 and might have to get a job.

Like this comment
Posted by Cholo
a resident of Livermore
on Jun 10, 2009 at 1:09 pm

[Post removed due to excessive and/or repetitive post by same poster]

Like this comment
Posted by la Cholo
a resident of Livermore
on Jun 10, 2009 at 1:13 pm

[Post removed due to excessive and/or repetitive post by same poster]

Like this comment
Posted by Fed up
a resident of Country Fair
on Jun 10, 2009 at 1:22 pm

We need to cut services to people who want to enjoy all the benefits taxes bring but don't want to pay for them. There should be more "pay as you go"-type of services. Need an ambulance? You'll need to pay for it. Got a burglar coming through your windows? Better be prepared for a bill from the police department!

Like this comment
Posted by Finally
on Jun 10, 2009 at 1:59 pm

I am a conservative (good thing you can't throw things at me from behind your computer!)and I want reform. I just want people to start learning to fish for themselves.

Seriously, if you are an elderly person who has no family, can't work, and need help, I want you to have it. If you are a child whose family has harmed you, I want you to have help.

If you are a 40 year old person who can work, won't work, and think you can keep stealing from me, then I don't want you to have it no matter what your background is. Mine isn't pretty either, but I'm working and expect you to do the same. Get a job. It doesn't have health benefits? Then get another and buy it privately through Kaiser.

Oakland, Hayward, etc are milking this county for all it is worth. I've had enough, and I am finally hopeful that the trough is ending for a bunch of people who are no better than common criminals.

Sorry, but further commenting on this topic has been closed.

Couples: Do you Really Agree or are you Afraid of not Agreeing?
By Chandrama Anderson | 0 comments | 912 views

Dublin agencies find creative partnership for new school site

Lab scientists find better ways to ID individuals who die in catastrophic events
By Jeb Bing | 3 comments | 264 views