News


Livermore mercury spill closes part of Kelly Street

Firefighters, clean-up specialists quickly cover, remove

Cleanup crews and toxic specialists from the Livermore-Pleasanton Fire Department Monday cautiously contained and covered an approximate 2 x 2 square foot spill of liquid Mercury on the pavement in front of 2886 Kelly Street, Livermore.

The source of the spill remains unknown at this time and its cause is under investigation, according to Sabina Imrie, a department spokeswoman.

The spill was immediately covered to prevent the release of mercury vapors and Imrie said there was no danger to the public.

The California Environmental Protection Agency was contacted and the Department of Toxic Substance Control was dispatched to clean up the area. DTSC used special equipment to clean up the site and test the area to ensure the air was free from contamination. No firefighters or bystanders were injured during the incident.

Imrie said mercury is found in some household items such as thermometers and compact fluorescent light bulbs. She urged everyone who want to dispose of items containing mercury to carefully recycle them at the special recycling centers n the area to prevent the release of mercury into the environment.

Mercury is a heavy, silvery chemical element, one of only six elements that are liquid at or near room temperature and pressure. It is considered to be highly toxic by ingestion or inhalation of its vapors or dust.

Comments

Like this comment
Posted by Pleasanton resident
a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Jun 10, 2009 at 5:59 pm

This serves as a good reminder, all the CFL bulbs we've all been buying in the last few years has mercury in them (sort of defeats the "green" point of them but that's another story)...and they are quite breakable...so be careful if you happen to drop one and it breaks to avoid breathing in the fumes.

Also kind of scary that these things have been very popular for years now and yet there's very little awareness on how to dispose of them properly. I imagine our landills are getting a good dose of mercury, so another good reminder in this article how to dispose them.


Posted by Name hidden
a resident of Ridgeview Commons

on Apr 25, 2017 at 10:18 pm

Due to repeated violations of our Terms of Use, comments from this poster are automatically removed. Why?


Sorry, but further commenting on this topic has been closed.

Couples: Wanting, Yet Missing One Another
By Chandrama Anderson | 0 comments | 710 views

Superintendent's new contract may portend difficult employee negotiations
By Tim Hunt | 7 comments | 482 views

Scott Raty bows out as CEO of Pleasanton Chamber
By Jeb Bing | 0 comments | 323 views

 

Nominations due by Sept. 17

Pleasanton Weekly and DanvilleSanRamon.com are once again putting out a call for nominations and sponsorships for the annual Tri-Valley Heroes awards - our salute to the community members dedicated to bettering the Tri-Valley and the lives of its residents.

Nomination form