A 9-year-old Concord girl who died May 29 with the swine flu virus had been out of school for a week and health officials said Thursday they do not believe other children at her school were exposed to the illness.
Contra Costa Public Health Director Dr. Wendel Brunner said that all schools in Contra Costa County will remain open and children in the county are not at any greater risk of contracting the swine flu virus as a result of the child's death.
The Contra Costa County coroner's office identified the child as Karen Perez.
Richard Nicoll, superintendent of the Mount Diablo Unified School District, said that Karen attended El Monte Elementary School at 1400 Dina Drive in Concord.
Karen had been home sick for more than seven days, which is the incubation period of the virus, Brunner said at a news conference in Martinez Thursday afternoon.
There are no other cases of swine flu at the school and no plans to close the school, Nicoll said.
Grief counselors were at the school Monday to help students and teachers cope with the news of Karen's death, Nicoll said.
Laboratory tests confirmed Wednesday that Karen had the H1N1 virus as well as a secondary bacterial infection. The county health department is working with state and federal health officials to determine what role swine flu played in her death, Brunner said.
She is not believed to have had any underlying medical issues, Brunner said.
Karen is the first person infected with swine flu to die in Contra Costa County.
She is, however, the seventh child in California to die from the flu this year. The six other children died from ordinary seasonal flu, Brunner said.