News

Flag flies at half-staff for fallen Oakland officers, including Pleasanton's own Mark Dunakin

Flag flies at half-staff at Pleasanton City Hall in honor of fallen Oakland police officers, including Sgt. Mark Dunakin, 40, a 1987 Foothill High School graduate who grew up here. See story in adjoining column.

Comments

Like this comment
Posted by unclehomerr..
on Mar 23, 2009 at 3:57 pm

(Comment deemed inappropriate by Pleasanton Weekly Online staff)

With that off my chest, let me say that I've got a brother who's a 32 year cop in VA, and I cry everytime one of our heroe's in blue is killed. God love 'em, and I thank them every day for their continued efforts against those who live outside the law and the personal sacrifices they and their families make. My deepest condolences to the families and loved ones involved. Well done, all four. RIP.

unclehomerr..

Like this comment
Posted by unclehomerr..
on Mar 23, 2009 at 4:00 pm

(Comment deemed inappropriate by Pleasanton Weekly Online staff)

unclehomerr..

Like this comment
Posted by Mike
a resident of Highland Oaks
on Mar 23, 2009 at 4:35 pm

My heart goes out to the families. A grim reminder of what the boys in blue are up against as they go about the routine enforcement of the law.

Like this comment
Posted by PJ
on Mar 23, 2009 at 4:55 pm

Fidelis ad Mortem
RIP

Like this comment
Posted by unclehomerr..
on Mar 23, 2009 at 8:16 pm

Let me rephrase my comment about PW writing and editing.

This is not what happened, according to every other news report!

"Dunakin was shot to death as he was riding his police motorcycle at 74th Avenue and MacArthur Boulevard in east Oakland Saturday afternoon."

unclehomerr..

Like this comment
Posted by Scott Walsh
a resident of Pleasanton Valley
on Mar 24, 2009 at 8:26 am

May they Rest in Peace and God be with their families and friends as they struggle through this tragedy. PPD, thanks for all you do and be safe out there!!

Like this comment
Posted by a highschool class mate
a resident of Foothill High School
on Mar 24, 2009 at 8:56 am

Mark was an amazing man and was dedicated to protecting the people and the city of Oakland. I pray that his wife has the strength to deal with this second police tragedy for their children. A trust fund has been set up for Mark's children at Merrill Lynch: "Dunakin Children's family Trust" account no. 204-04065. Checks can be made out to the Dunakin family and mailed to the OPD officers association Attn: Rennee Hassna 555 Fifth St. Oakland Ca 94607

Mark is a part of Pleasanton and I think we should help his family in their time of need.

Like this comment
Posted by Debbie
a resident of another community
on Mar 27, 2009 at 12:00 pm

my heart goes out to all the familes

Sorry, but further commenting on this topic has been closed.

Couples: Wanting, Yet Missing One Another
By Chandrama Anderson | 0 comments | 602 views

Interesting local elections shaping up in Dublin

Scott Raty bows out as CEO of Pleasanton Chamber
By Jeb Bing | 0 comments | 312 views

Nominations due by Sept. 17

Pleasanton Weekly and DanvilleSanRamon.com are once again putting out a call for nominations and sponsorships for the annual Tri-Valley Heroes awards - our salute to the community members dedicated to bettering the Tri-Valley and the lives of its residents.

Nomination form