News

Mall purse snatcher arrested

Two witnesses deter suspect from fleeing on motorcycle

An alleged purse snatcher was arrested around 9 a.m. Monday after two witnesses chased after him and kept him from driving off in a motorcycle. Dwight Admues Mondaime, a 21-year-old resident of Gilroy, was charged with robbery and assault with a deadly weapon.

Mondaime, wearing a white button-up shirt and jeans, reportedly followed a 23-year-old Hayward woman and grabbed her purse from behind as she left Stoneridge Shopping Center near the Fresh Choice restaurant. Police said the woman was thrown to the ground as the suspect ran away.

Two witnesses are said to have chased the Mondaime and caught him trying to leave on a motorcycle. At this time, police said Mondaime and the witnesses fought over the keys and the suspect appeared to stab one witness in the leg with the key. Unable to leave by motorcycle, he fled on foot towards Foothill Road.

A police officer responding to the call saw the suspect run into the wooded area adjacent to Foothill Road and Laurel Creek. They later found and arrested him. He was transported to ValleyCare Medical Center before being booked at Santa Rita Jail.

The woman's purse and contents were located and returned. Police said she suffered only minor injuries from falling.

Help sustain the local news you depend on.

Your contribution matters. Become a member today.

Join

Follow PleasantonWeekly.com and the Pleasanton Weekly on Twitter @pleasantonnews, Facebook and on Instagram @pleasantonweekly for breaking news, local events, photos, videos and more.

Mall purse snatcher arrested

Two witnesses deter suspect from fleeing on motorcycle

by Emily West / Pleasanton Weekly

Uploaded: Mon, Dec 1, 2008, 2:30 pm
Updated: Tue, Dec 2, 2008, 1:58 pm

Comments

Not So Lucky
Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Dec 3, 2008 at 11:08 am
Not So Lucky, Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Dec 3, 2008 at 11:08 am

I am happy that this person was apprehended. I was not so lucky.

My wallet was stolen out of my purse at my place of business. My debit/VISA card was used at Best Buy in Dublin to purchase a TV & cell phone for over $1000, within 3 hours of being stolen. If the employees at Best Buy would have carded the MAN that used my(female) card for those purchases I might have my wallet back with my pictures, social security card and other items I can't replace. Not to mention stopped him from using other cards and money he stole from the building. When contacting Best Buy's store manager Mark, I asked how this could possibly happen and he actually had the nerve to say to me that it was against the law to ask for ID in California - WHAT!!! Seriously, because of Best Buy's lack of concern, and this low life criminal that stole my wallet, I will have to continue to monitor my Social Security number as well as my 5 year old sons for many years to come to avoid additional violation from this incident. I know that I should not have had my social security card in my wallet, I have heard the horror stories, so if you are carrying yours in your wallet or purse, please tonight when you get home - TAKE IT OUT!

Hurray to those that stepped up to the plate to help this woman out...I hope they are safe and the injury to the leg will heal without incident.

Merry Christmas!

Cholo
Livermore
on Dec 3, 2008 at 11:38 am
Cholo, Livermore
on Dec 3, 2008 at 11:38 am

It's time to execute some of the goons! BUSTED...hahahahahahahahah...

Joan
Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Dec 3, 2008 at 11:58 am
Joan, Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Dec 3, 2008 at 11:58 am

That was really nice of those people to go after the thief.

Jerry
Oak Hill
on Dec 4, 2008 at 12:24 am
Jerry, Oak Hill
on Dec 4, 2008 at 12:24 am

Hope they sent Rin-Tin-Tin in the "wooded area" to find this joker. Let him have a little fun like he did when the bank robber refused to come out of the backyard shed. He doesn't get to have that much fun riding around in the back of a patrol car all day.

bel
Val Vista
on Dec 4, 2008 at 6:31 pm
bel, Val Vista
on Dec 4, 2008 at 6:31 pm

Glad they caught the jerk, I hope the person who leg was stabbed with the key is ok.