Winter holidays | Ask the Vet | Dr. Kristel Weaver | |

Local Blogs

Ask the Vet

By Dr. Kristel Weaver

About this blog: ...  (More)

View all posts from Dr. Kristel Weaver

Winter holidays

Uploaded: Aug 23, 2013
December has arrived and toys, electronics and wrapping paper pack the stores. It's fun to include our pets in the holiday celebration, but watch out for seasonal hazards to make sure it's really the most wonderful time of the year.

Including pets in seasonal festivities is trendy and fun. At our house, each pet has his or her own paw print stocking which we stuff with toys and chews on Christmas morning. If they're lucky, they get other presents like a new collar or bed. We've received adorable holiday cards starring beloved pets. For example, last year we received a card with the family boxer dressed as an elf and another with the whole family in Santa hats, including their golden retrievers! The possibilities are endless!

Rockin' around the Christmas tree or menorah

The Christmas tree presents several avoidable hazards. Make sure the tree is well anchored so it cannot be pulled or knocked over by a climbing cat or rambunctious dog. Keep the power cords protected from cord chewing pets. Hang ornaments that resemble toys out of reach. Avoid loose tinsel or ribbon that if eaten could cause a linear foreign body. Consider putting strung popcorn up high or leaving it off altogether. A lit Menorah is a fire hazard; ensure your pets can't knock it over.

Deck the halls with toxic holiday plants?

Three of the most common holiday plants can be toxic to pets. If enough holly is ingested it can cause an upset stomach and symptoms similar to a caffeine overdose. Fortunately, holly isn't very tasty, so toxicity is uncommon. Mistletoe can cause an upset stomach and cardiovascular signs if a substantial amount is consumed. Lastly, Poinsettia can cause drooling, vomiting and diarrhea if enough is eaten. Poinsettia toxicity is typically exaggerated and in reality poses only a mild concern.

While visions of sugar plums, raisins and chocolate danced in their heads

Chocolate is toxic to dogs, however the size of the dog and darkness of the chocolate determine whether or not it will cause a problem. For example, dark chocolate is more likely to be toxic than milk chocolate and a Chihuahua is more likely to be symptomatic then a Saint Bernard. Raisins can be toxic to dogs and cause acute kidney failure. Keep it all out of reach.

Best wishes for a healthy, happy holiday to you and your pets!
What is it worth to you?


There are no comments yet for this post

Follow this blogger.
Sign up to be notified of new posts by this blogger.



Post a comment

Sorry, but further commenting on this topic has been closed.

Stay informed.

Get the day's top headlines from sent to your inbox in the Express newsletter.

Community foundations want to help local journalism survive
By Tim Hunt | 20 comments | 1,724 views

I Do I Don't: How to build a better marriage Ch. 1, page 1
By Chandrama Anderson | 0 comments | 1,404 views

Pop open the beer at the holiday table
By Deborah Grossman | 3 comments | 888 views


Support local families in need

Your contribution to the Pleasanton Weekly Holiday Fund will go directly to nonprofits supporting local families and children in need. Last year, Pleasanton Weekly readers contributed over $83,000 to support eight safety-net nonprofits right here in the Tri-Valley.