Teachers, principals, counselors named 'Excellent'
Forty others receive awards for their work in special education
The people who go "above and beyond" at Pleasanton schools will be honored this June at the 20th annual Excellence in Education Awards, and 40 others from across the district have won Special Education "You Make a Difference" awards.
Ten teachers, two principals and two counselors were named by the Pleasanton PTA Council, which sifted through the all the nominations.
"Students write nominations, parents, sometimes, coworkers. What they should be exhibiting is above and beyond," said PTA member Joan Laursen. "To some people it's about someone who touches the lives of someone in trouble. Maybe it's someone involved with the AP teacher, who works with them after school to make sure they're ready for their AP exams."
Laursen said usually 40 to 50 people are nominated, and the decisions can be difficult.
"It's moving to hear what makes people go out of their way to write about someone," she said.
The 10 teachers chosen from the nominees are:
* Manette Barlow, Adult Education/ESL;
* Linda Boveda, Lydiksen Elementary;
* Christie Carnahan, Valley View Elementary;
* Jeremy Detamore, Foothill;
* Shay Galletti, Foothill/Amador Valley ROP;
* Kim Lounsbury, Hearst Elementary;
* Maria Primeau, Foothill;
* Tami Raaker, Foothill ROP;
* Kathleen Murray Rief, Hart; and
* Lori Sjodahl, Mohr Elementary.
The four named in the at-large category are:
* Career counselor Jacque Barker, Foothill High;
* Counselor Abby Johnson, who works at both Lydiksen Elementary and Valley View Elementary;
* Fairlands Principal Kim Michels; and
* Donlon Elementary Principal Marc Schweitzer.
The honorees will receive their awards June 2 at the 20th annual Excellence in Education Awards Ceremony at Trinity Lutheran Church. The event will begin at 4 p.m.
The ceremony for the winners of "You Make a Difference" awards was held Wednesday at Amador Valley High School. The complete list of "You Make a Difference" winners, is available at www.TriValleySELPA.org here.