Summer is coming and today is going to be hot. Time to start thinking once again about water conservation, especially since EBMUD has just voted to begin water rationing (Web Link).
Let's list here things we can do to reduce our water usage and help prevent a "tragedy of the commons".
- Take a shower with a family member
- Don't shower every day (adult skin dries out from frequent showers).
- Only wash full loads
- If your washer/dishwasher has the option, use the 'quick wash' setting. Most loads don't need a full cycle.
- Install a gray water system for irrigation. Gray water is water that has been used for washing (drains from sink, washer, bath, shower). Simple versions are keeping a bucket in the shower or hooking up a tank to the washer drain. Since we pay for water and sewer separately in Pleasanton, a professionally installed whole-house gray water system can pay for itself rather quickly.
- If you haven't already done so, replace all shower heads, toilets, faucets with low-gallon versions.
- Reduce the amount of dishes that need washing by serving food right out of the pot/pan instead of putting it in a serving dish.