Physical Education IS Necessary!
Original post made by Julie on Mar 29, 2009
What Researchers Have to Say About
Movement and Cognition:
• Dr. Robert Sylwester: Movement facilitates cognition.
• Eric Jensen: Motor skills are fundamental to learning.
• Howard Gardner: Bodily Kinesthetic is one of eight
• Carla Hannaford: 85% of school-age children are
• Ruby Payne: Most children in poverty seem to rely upon
their kinesthetic abilities to learn.
• Peter Kline: Physical activity increases NR2B protein that
increases memory retention.
• Pat Wolfe: The brain is hardwired for rhyme, rhythm,
movement, and emotion.
• Germund Hesslow (Cerebellum Research) What makes us
move, is also what makes us think.
on Mar 29, 2009 at 10:07 pm
Get rid of PE, get rid of FOREIGN LANGUAGE...Budget problems solved.
on Mar 30, 2009 at 8:24 am
Lucky Guy is a registered user.
We have alot of chubby kids. I think P.E. is important but it has to be taught seriously. I look at some of the P.E. classes at the schools and it looks like a social session. I see our nation in decline on all fronts---physical fitness and it's importance in education is not THE cause---just one of the many signs of a nation in decay. You want to get rid of a time wasting budget buster--get rid of the DARE program. Takes up valuable teaching time and kids will tell you it is a waste.....There are school districts out there that are efficiently operated-there is no need to reinvent, just look around the country.
on Mar 30, 2009 at 9:50 am
schnorres is a registered user.
the idiot who said to get rid of foreign language is so onerous and stubborn it makes me sick the point of those classes is for the student s to actually be bale to get into good colleges and universities who , by the way, don't accept students who haven't completed at least two years of a language already