Town Square

Post a New Topic

Dinner up in flames as couple takes short walk

Original post made on Jul 30, 2009

A Pleasanton police officer had pulled over a motorist on a traffic stop last night when he saw smoke coming from a house across the street at 240 Kottinger Dr.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Wednesday, July 29, 2009, 11:17 PM

Comments (12)

Posted by Scott Walsh, a resident of Pleasanton Valley
on Jul 30, 2009 at 9:47 am

Great Pleasanton Police work and great LP Fire work! There when you need them, always there trying to make someone's day better, even if the ticketed driver doesn't agree.

Posted by unclehomerr.., a resident of Downtown
on Jul 30, 2009 at 10:23 am

I'd guess the address is wrong. 240 Kottinger is the senior citizen complex... Comments in the story don't fit the complex of cottages/small apartments.

House? Owners? Went for a walk??


Posted by city worker, a resident of Amador Estates
on Jul 30, 2009 at 11:58 am

who cares if the address is wrong--I can't beleive there are stupid people in P-town leaving their stove on to go take a walk. maybe insurance fraud??? come on.

Posted by stacey, a resident of Downtown
on Jul 30, 2009 at 2:17 pm

The address is correct, it was at the senior housing complex.
Thanks to the fast, comprehensive action by our police and fire services it all turned out fine.
It certainly brought all the neighbors out!

Posted by Tango, a resident of Vineyard Avenue
on Jul 30, 2009 at 4:47 pm

unclehomerr -- You have nothing good to say about anything. Why don't you get off the internewt and GET A LIFE!

Posted by Jim M, a resident of Downtown
on Jul 31, 2009 at 8:11 am

My daughters chicken is missing - I hope that was not in the pot.

Posted by Lee, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Jul 31, 2009 at 10:21 am

This is not so uncommon among senior citizens to leave a stove or shower or oven on. Hope there was minimal damage! Whoever "city worker" is, be aware that in the future this could be you!

Posted by Safe Not Sorry, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Jul 31, 2009 at 1:07 pm

Be careful out there!

Stories about fires like this are just a reminder of how easy this can happen.

Three main causes of fires:
Men, Women, and Children.

Such cooking fires are very common - but usually you never read about them, unless someone dies, or the fire grows big. And the only difference between most small fires and a big fire is time, and maybe a little luck.

Reviewing fire statics some years ago for a bigger town, 22% of the house fires, where cause was listed, were caused by cooking. For the same period 33% of apartment fires were cooking fires.
So what was the difference between a house stove and an apartment stove?
After all a house has a yard, more space, seems easier to walk away from the stove ...
One conclusion:
This was before wireless phones were common, and it was thought that in those days the phone was down the hall in the apartments - an extension was expensive especially for a renter- so people would go answer the phone, "just for a minute", then become involved.

Many care facilities have fire sprinklers, as do homes in Livermore built in the last 20 years or so.
Sprinklers do not respond to smoke, and must wait until heat reaches the individual device, so there would still be significant damage, but they would prevent development into a major fire. Fire and smoke damage would be far less, maybe one fifth, and sprinklers usually prevent deaths.

Does your smoke detector work?

Posted by Afterthought, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Jul 31, 2009 at 10:05 pm

Well unless your the Zuffa's & are trying to burn your house down for insurance reasons, whats new about this?

Posted by Qwerty, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Aug 1, 2009 at 9:21 am

I think the firemen were excited to have something to do. I mean what else do they do all day? Sometimes I see them at Safeway buying groceries but other than that...

this is actually a serious question. I'm curious.

Posted by Qwerty, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Aug 1, 2009 at 10:13 am

If this were a single elderly woman living there then I could see why she might allow her dinner to overheat and catch fire. But if it were a couple, it makes no sense.

Posted by unclehomerr.., a resident of Downtown
on Aug 1, 2009 at 4:17 pm

Hey Tango...

Did'ja see what Qwerty said?? LOL!

I'll bet you can't dance either...

proud founder of the internewt!!!

If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.

Post a comment

Posting an item on Town Square is simple and requires no registration. Just complete this form and hit "submit" and your topic will appear online. Please be respectful and truthful in your postings so Town Square will continue to be a thoughtful gathering place for sharing community information and opinion. All postings are subject to our TERMS OF USE, and may be deleted if deemed inappropriate by our staff.

We prefer that you use your real name, but you may use any "member" name you wish.

Name: *

Select your neighborhood or school community: *

Comment: *

Verification code: *
Enter the verification code exactly as shown, using capital and lowercase letters, in the multi-colored box.

*Required Fields

Preserving Disorder
By Tom Cushing | 70 comments | 1,974 views

Bi-Polar Disorder
By Roz Rogoff | 25 comments | 1,684 views

The drought drives lawmakers to action
By Tim Hunt | 12 comments | 1,389 views