Posted by Time to rename the PW, a resident of the Grey Eagle Estates neighborhood, on May 26, 2009 at 6:35 pm
This entire blog should be renamed the blog for right-wing extremists. I am very moderate on social issues and conservative on economic issues, but most of the stuff I read hear is full of hate and fox news extremism.
Posted by I'm with Katie, a resident of the Another Pleasanton neighborhood neighborhood, on May 26, 2009 at 7:48 pm
I couldn't have said it better, my friend!
This is when I wish we had a way to find our real "friends" in town like minded, etc, and not just find each other on a blog.
The left has such big and whiny mouths, it's hard for the rest of us to hear what the normal people have to say and link up. Most of us that are pro-life, pro-constitution live with respect for others and the system. Not the left...when we follow the rules they ridicule us, when they don't want to, they whine.
Posted by Grace, a resident of the Another Pleasanton neighborhood neighborhood, on May 26, 2009 at 10:28 pm
Ten Things To Know About Judge Sonia Sotomayor
1. Judge Sotomayor would bring more federal judicial experience to the bench than any Supreme Court justice in 100 years. Over her three-decade career, she has served in a wide variety of legal roles, including as a prosecutor, litigator, and judge.
2. Judge Sotomayor is a trailblazer. She was the first Latina to serve on the Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit and was the youngest member of the court when appointed to the District Court for the Southern District of New York. If confirmed, she will be the first Hispanic to sit on the U.S. Supreme Court.
3. While on the bench, Judge Sotomayor has consistently protected the rights of working Americans, ruling in favor of health benefits and fair wages for workers in several cases.
4. Judge Sotomayor has shown strong support for First Amendment rights, including in cases of religious expression and the rights to assembly and free speech.
5. Judge Sotomayor has a strong record on civil rights cases, ruling for plaintiffs who had been discriminated against based on disability, sex and race.
6. Judge Sotomayor embodies the American dream. Born to Puerto Rican parents, she grew up in a South Bronx housing project and was raised from age nine by a single mother, excelling in school and working her way to graduate summa cum laude from Princeton University and to become an editor of the Law Journal at Yale Law School.
7. In 1995, Judge Sotomayor "saved baseball" when she stopped the owners from illegally changing their bargaining agreement with the players, thereby ending the longest professional sports walk-out in history.
8. Judge Sotomayor ruled in favor of the environment in a case of protecting aquatic life in the vicinity of power plants in 2007, a decision that was overturned by the Roberts Supreme Court.
9. In 1992, Judge Sotomayor was confirmed by the Senate without opposition after being appointed to the bench by George H.W. Bush.
10. Judge Sotomayor is a widely respected legal figure, having been described as "...an outstanding colleague with a keen legal mind," "highly qualified for any position in which wisdom, intelligence, collegiality and good character would be assets," and "a role model of aspiration, discipline, commitment, intellectual prowess and integrity."
Posted by Anonymous, a resident of another community, on May 27, 2009 at 3:10 am
to "I'm with Katie":
Here, here! I agree with you completely. The left whines and does not hold themselves to the same standards they say everyone else should follow. Most of what I hear from the liberal media and liberal politicians seems to suggest that they don't feel free speech goes both ways. If you support a conservative view you are ridiculed. If you support a liberal view you are deified
Posted by amy, a resident of the Del Prado neighborhood, on May 27, 2009 at 6:46 am
Obama wanted to win over 5.3 million extra votes by her nomination. These extra voters happen to be murderers, rapists, other felons, etc. The Obama admin is in the process of ensuring that these people in prison are allowed to vote.
Posted by Michele, a resident of the Another Pleasanton neighborhood neighborhood, on May 27, 2009 at 8:52 am
Wow! Some of you are right - right wing extremists on this blog... and for all you pro-lifers out there, you may be pleased to see that in addition to what Grace pointed out, she also "wrote the opinion in Center for Reproductive Law and Policy v. Bush, 304 F.3d 183 (2d Cir. 2002), a challenge to the “Mexico City Policy,” which prohibited foreign organizations receiving U.S. funds from performing or supporting abortions. An abortion rights group (along with its attorneys) brought claimed that the policy violated its First Amendment, due process, and equal protection rights. Relying on the Second Circuit’s earlier decision in Planned Parenthood Federation of America, Inc. v. Agency for International Development, which dealt with a virtually identical claim, Sotomayor’s opinion rejected the group’s First Amendment claim on the merits. Turning to the plaintiffs’ due process claim, Sotomayor held that they lacked standing because they alleged only a harm to foreign organizations, rather than themselves. Sotomayor held that the plaintiffs did have standing with regard to their equal protection claim, but she ultimately held that the claim failed under rational basis review because the government “is free to favor the anti-abortion position over the pro-choice position” with public funds."
She is an excellent choice for this position because she does not see a "biased" perspective. Call her left, "extreme" (yeah, right), whatever you may, but she is an excellent choice. For some of you, Obama will NEVER make a good decision, regardless of how GOOD it really is.
Another ironic point - when she was being vetted for the Appeals Court, her confirmation was delayed 15 months because Senate Republicans were afraid she may one day be nominated to the Supreme Court.
Posted by Chris, a resident of the Another Pleasanton neighborhood neighborhood, on May 27, 2009 at 9:41 am
Since you think Fox News is extremist, then you are an extremist. It is the only national news that is in fact fair and balanced, as evidenced by the fact that they have commentators from across the political sprectrum.
I think it is facinating that left-wingers are getting so bent out of shape at a news organization that breaks the mold of not being a left-wing propaganda machine. They are so used to the left-wing bias that in the media that Fox is driving them crazy. Outfits like NBC and The New York Times have becom so propagandist that they are going broke. May that happen sooner rather than later.
Posted by Einstein, a member of the Mohr Elementary School community, on May 27, 2009 at 10:01 am Einstein is a member (registered user) of PleasantonWeekly.com
I am not married to her nomination one way or the other but regardless of your party affliation . If you are objective and step back from the situation with a very basic understanding of the constitution and the bill of rights one cannot but help be very concerned with the direction Obama is taking this country and the speed in which he is taking us with it. Nationalizing the banks, insurance companies, Chrysler, GM (government motors), CAP and Trade, massive debt, stimulus package, tax rate modifications, expansion of the war in Afganistan, Iraq seemingly with no plan except to wait for us to leave before uprising again, Iran nuclear threat, North Korea nuclear threat. I honestly just believe the guy is in over his head and unfortunately this will be a long lasting impact on our way of life. Please no emotional outbursts or emotion just set back and reflect a bit.
Posted by Married to Hispanic, a resident of the Vineyard Avenue neighborhood, on May 27, 2009 at 4:30 pm
Grace, you took your Top 10 list right from Obama's press release yesterday, didn't you? Although I don't question her credentials, this appt. at the very least will show a growing segment of our population they can achieve anything possible. Or Sonia was in the right place at the right time, which also helps those trying to get ahead in life.