Teacher Exodus - Half of Walnut Grove 5th Gr teachers quit

Original post made by appalling, Walnut Grove Elementary School, on Aug 23, 2014

I'm appalled that the school district sent at an email AFTER the PUSD main headquarters District Office closed at 4:30 PM yesterday informing parents that half the Walnut Grove 5th grade teachers have resigned in the last week.

One teacher transferred from Walnut Grove to PMS in the last 48 hours, but one resigned 8 days ago. The unprofessional announcement from the new principal should have come sooner than later, not after the school office and District Office had closed the last business day before the first day of school.

For the teacher that resigned 8 days ago, even though PUSD knew this, they assigned children to this teacher's class during walk through registration and hid this from the parents. The parents have been deceived again by the administration who pretended the teacher had not resigned.

+   1 person likes this
Posted by Hostile work environment
on Aug 23, 2014 at 2:13 pm

Sounds like a hostile work environment

Posted by Lucretia
a resident of Golden Eagle
on Aug 23, 2014 at 3:46 pm

Comment deemed inappropriate by Pleasanton Weekly Online staff)

Posted by Lucretia
a resident of Golden Eagle
on Aug 23, 2014 at 6:20 pm

You tell me. I'm on the "Teacher Exodus - Half of Walnut Grove 5th Gr teachers quit" page.

Posted by Ken Walker
a resident of Walnut Grove Elementary School
on Aug 23, 2014 at 7:06 pm

HALF = 2. One resigned. One transferred. Is this something we need to be marching in protest about or what? It's appalling. Appalling I tell you!

Posted by citizen
on Aug 23, 2014 at 7:12 pm

The sky is falling…. Normal personnel changes…. Walnut Grove remains a great school and we are lucky to have it… get a grip.. 2 teachers move….sensationalism at its best.

Posted by Wake UP!
on Aug 23, 2014 at 8:31 pm

When can you finally recognize why teachers are leaving WG? Have you heard yourselves? Have you not heard how you have talked about those teachers for the past year. And now you WONDER why they're leaving. HAHA! Never would I work for a community like the WG one, would you? What you post is public. People are reading this and judging this neighborhood, and community by the incredibly rude, gossipy, crazy comments you so feverishly post. Good luck getting someone to want to work for you all-knowing tax payers! Welcome to what you wished for.

Posted by Wake Up!
on Aug 23, 2014 at 9:04 pm

Interesting to see the Palo Alto version of the weekly post their "back to school issue" Web Link Seems like there are lots of changes and new additions to their schools, yet do notice the tone of the article, the comment section. Hmmmm..... now you think about where a teacher would be excited to serve the community and welcome back the children who live there.

Posted by Again
a resident of Walnut Grove Elementary School
on Aug 24, 2014 at 7:30 am

The larger issue here is not that our teachers are leaving - nobody would blame them for wanting to get out of this toxic environment. It is the lack of appropriate and timely communication. Nots good start for our new principal.

a resident of Canyon Creek
on Aug 24, 2014 at 7:43 am

Most teachers and administrators do a good job, all over the state. But this administration is weak. Really really weak. And the prior administration was simply awful. Like really really bad.

Telling parents a couple days before classes began would have given people a chance to sell their homes and move to other school districts. I'm just sayin'.

+   1 person likes this
Posted by Kathleen Ruegsegger
a resident of Vintage Hills Elementary School
on Aug 24, 2014 at 9:07 am

Kathleen Ruegsegger is a registered user.

Here is what I actually posted on the "Troubled Schools" thread (below). I also posted a link that provides information about how to determine whether use of substitute teachers is being abused: Web Link

***Most families are happy with their child(ren)'s school(s). They are likely to know less about the schools they don't attend. And most have little reason to interact with anyone at the district level.

That is true in many districts around us and throughout the state. But not all of them shine, and some only shine part of the time, and even the best are bound to have weaknesses.

If you think, however, that everything is hunky dory at 4665 Bernal, it is not. This governance team is weak, and the previous one was . . . awful. What the "vindictive" people have pointed out (no need to rehash here) is accurate Those people have taken, researched, and provided the broader view of how poorly this district has been run in the last dozen years.

This isn't about hating teachers and never has been. We have to be interested in seeing the truths, all of them.***

Sorry you had to actually log in on the other thread to be allowed to comment "Truth Seeker."

Posted by Wake Up!
on Aug 24, 2014 at 9:17 am

"This isn't about hating teachers and never has been."

This is a line Pleasanton that you really need to wake up about, you can type that sentence, say that sentence, scream it if you want, it still means nothing. Wake up and see what is actually happening due to the news, the spins, the assumptions, the rumors that you choose to believe as truth. This community has a role in the morale of our teachers and as you watch the affects of that role, you might think about it. It all adds up to hating the teachers and to believe otherwise is the height of hilarity. The people of this community and the paper actually write it in black and white! It reminds me of the bully saying they didnt mean to hurt your feelings. Wake up! and really Kathleen, if you respond with 'not me?!" then my case in point is complete.

Posted by Correction
a resident of Walnut Grove Elementary School
on Aug 24, 2014 at 9:18 am

Actually, parents of students who were originally assigned to Mrs. Phillips' class (the teacher who resigned last week because she moved out of the area) were told at walk through registration that their teacher was not yet determined.

a resident of Canyon Creek
on Aug 24, 2014 at 10:36 am

@ "What the [right-wing] "vindictive" people have pointed out (no need to rehash here) is accurate Those people have taken, researched, and provided the broader view of how poorly this district has been run in the last dozen years."

I know this to be a fact. All the wackos who post here -- I won't rehash it -- all of what they are saying is accurate. See, they do research and provide a broader view. Teachers and administrators are great ... but this district has been run poorly in the last dozen years. This administration's weak -- just read all the wackos who post on these sites on a daily basis. And the prior administration was awful, just awful. I'm not being negative.

If we keep throwing dirt we can perpetuate this perception. I know. I'm queen of dirt.

Posted by Kathleen Ruegsegger
a resident of Vintage Hills Elementary School
on Aug 24, 2014 at 11:02 am

Kathleen Ruegsegger is a registered user.

WU, My concern is with the PUSD governance team. I believe teachers are not paid enough for doing a very important job. My respect for them, however, does not extend to those who abuse power, cannot manage staff or budgets, and communicate poorly or not at all.

TS, I don't agree with everyone who posts out here. I do know a few who have taken time to do the research before commenting. Rather than playing a game of mock and bait, how about you do your own research. I'll wait.

Posted by Wake Up!
on Aug 24, 2014 at 11:49 am

So Kathleen- you support teachers, yet post this- " The question would be why, at one grade level and this late in the hiring process, are there suddenly two teachers out." Very passive agressive- who me?! kind of post. Are teachers in this district not allowed to have private lives. Is there not valid reasons for a teacher to leave a school suddenly that doesnt involve hidden, manufactured drama? And yet, you feel that their personal lives need to be questioned here on an anonymous blog for the outwardly hostile WG community to chime in? A parent posted that they WERE notified about the change. There is no drama- of all people you should know better, changes in staffing is common in August. Clearly you want to join in Gina's effort to stir up drama and lead people to believe this is not normal and due to administration.

Your words have an effect. People on these blogs have been telling you that for years. You raise speculation, insight distrust, and manufacture drama and then claim you support teachers. Wake up. The teachers are the district. Your concerted efforts here directly affect them. What a welcome back.

+   1 person likes this
Posted by Kathleen Ruegsegger
a resident of Vintage Hills Elementary School
on Aug 24, 2014 at 1:44 pm

Kathleen Ruegsegger is a registered user.

Read the question again. It is not: why are these teachers abandoning their posts? The question expresses a concern about losing two teachers so close to the start of school, and does not blame the teachers. If the answer is coincidence, it's a fair answer.

"People" on these blogs are anonymous; I have no idea who they are. They can say I don't support teachers, but they don't know what I do, and they ignore anything that is positive. ***There is much to celebrate in this community. In the Lake Wobegon sense, the majority of the children are above average. So are their parents. Expectations are high, and the vast majority of teachers and principals are knocking themselves out to meet and exceed them.***

I think Gina presented a balanced article with the information she was provided after PRA requests, and the superintendent and a some board members had the opportunity to speak. Read the article again, 44 administrators in three years is worthy of deeper thinking by the governance team.

In the meantime, of course I wish every teacher the best for the coming year.

a resident of Canyon Creek
on Aug 24, 2014 at 2:55 pm

Above all, I want all the teachers to get paid more, except the ones who are tenured and don't have to perform according to my standards, which I'll not bother to hash over because they are as unimpeachable as are the claims by the wackos who dominate these threads. The anonymous ones I know are impeccable researchers. Just look at the 50% claim; highly accurate as far as I can tell, and clearly reason to generalize to the entire school system.

Now, with respect specifically to a 50% loss of teachers, my concern isn't that the 2 who made up the 50% in this representative sample have abandoned their posts. No, they just got lost or something, that's all. So why do people criticize me for being unclear and contradictory? I can't figure it out.

Oh, and Gina's article admittedly doesn't cite any parents who support the current administration, but that's the kind of balance I like in a newspaper hit piece that seeks to kick up dirt, and I commend her for it, because I like dirt. A lot.

Posted by Kathleen Ruegsegger
a resident of Vintage Hills Elementary School
on Aug 24, 2014 at 3:25 pm

Kathleen Ruegsegger is a registered user.

Hi Gollum, Back to twist and shout, I see. I haven't suggested standards for teachers; I oppose tenure, but also support moving tenure to the first day of the a fifth or sixth year (done in other states). I know those who pushed to get information about, let's say, the refinancing of bonds. It's knowable by even you if you would do more than quack quack quack on the sidelines.

The second paragraph is gibberish.

Third paragraph--***presented a balanced article with the information she was provided after PRA requests***. If there are parents who support the governance team, defined as the board and superintendent (and does not include principals, APs, deans, directors, coordinators, etc.), they can contact Gina. I assume she would like to hear from them.

Posted by To kr
a resident of Remen Tract
on Aug 24, 2014 at 4:24 pm

The silence is deafening when it comes to supporters of this current admin. Who does think yhey are doing a good job? Crickets

a resident of Canyon Creek
on Aug 24, 2014 at 5:02 pm

Aren't we a couple of nose-for-dirt gossips? More grovel and deflect, eh? Gollum has a good side; there's rarely a good side to a gossip mongering dirt queen.

Just common knowledge what we say, eh, based upon what other people say, you know? Okay! And gibberish, piled atop gibberish, ends up being gibberish. In our case, its gibberish in the service of right-wing agenda. Teachers abandoning us v. teachers lost to us? Just all gibberish, no? "It is not: why are these teachers abandoning their posts? The question expresses a concern about losing two teachers so close to the start of school, and does not blame the teachers." Nope. No blame at all. Just a "concern" about a "weak" administration that has replaced an "awful" one. Cuz we're in the know!

I'm with you and others who are working hand-in-glove with Gina such that we can speak on Gina's behalf: "If there are parents who support the governance team, defined as the board and superintendent (and does not include principals, APs, deans, directors, coordinators, etc.), they can contact Gina." How do we know they haven't? How do we know she's not writing hit jobs on teachers because she thinks the right-wing wackos who post here represent Pleasanton? Well, all of us right-wingers kind of hang out in the same cracks in the walls, don't we?

Posted by Parent
on Aug 24, 2014 at 5:49 pm

I have seen an outpouring of support for the teachers many times on these blogs. I have yet to see any for the current admin- did I miss something?

Posted by appalling
on Aug 25, 2014 at 3:19 am

Just how many 4th and 5th grade children's 504 plans and Individualized Education Plan documents at Walnut Grove were examined by the Walnut Grove kindergarten teacher receiving the $250,000 settlement to lift quotations from these supposedly confidential documents in order to make accusations that long time Walnut Grove staff member(s) are autistic? This appears on Document 8 on page 18 of the 41 page document starting on line 14.

No wonder the entire Special Education management staff has also left the District. First Director Kent Rezowalli left, then Ken Wyatt, then they hired an interim director, and now parents were told that Tara Kyle, assistant director of Special Education, has just left the PUSD and is now at the director of Special Education at San Ramon Unified. Her picture appears on the SRVUSD home page here. Web Link.

Posted by Wake Up!
on Aug 25, 2014 at 9:54 pm

See what I mean, it's so easy to post what ever you want with the slant you want in order to spread hysteria in PUSD.

Let's be truthful now "appalling" and share the truth with the community you seek to insight with paranoia. The ACTUAL truth is that the new director of Special Education is an amazing educator who has just returned to PUSD, not quite the story you paint. Is it not allowed that a PUSD employee retire, or move to another district for a promotion?

Time to wake up residents of Pleasanton, you are being fed rumors and assumptions. How is this helping our students?

a resident of Canyon Creek
on Aug 26, 2014 at 12:32 am

Hey, Wake Up! You didn't do your research like those you claim are spreading hysteria and kicking dirt. As one poster so aptly described her fellow right-wingers:

"I don't agree with everyone who posts out here. I do know a few who have taken time to do the research before commenting. Rather than playing a game of mock and bait, how about you do your own research."

I guess the researchers missed the part about one retirement and one promotion. I guess, too, their research training permits them to general from a sample of 4.

Posted by Kathleen Ruegsegger
a resident of Vintage Hills Elementary School
on Aug 26, 2014 at 5:16 am

Kathleen Ruegsegger is a registered user.

TS, Don't use my quotes out of context, especially to support your blather. I don't know appalling or wake up or you.

a resident of Canyon Creek
on Aug 26, 2014 at 9:57 am

Nice try. Wasn't taken out of context. Do the research; look back at your usage.

If we are to continue blowing matters out of proportion in the service of carrying out our agenda against pusd, administration, teachers, it's important that we stick together.

In the meantime, either try to write your thoughts more clearly, or think before writing.

Posted by Kathleen Ruegsegger
a resident of Vintage Hills Elementary School
on Aug 26, 2014 at 11:55 am

Kathleen Ruegsegger is a registered user.

I do not agree with all the posters who raise issues, and I was clear about the few I do know. Nice try indeed.

a resident of Canyon Oaks
on Aug 26, 2014 at 1:22 pm

Lying about matters only compounds the silliness. Researchers confirm it. Just look at the antiPUSD posters on these sites, all of whom have done their research.

Posted by john
on Aug 26, 2014 at 2:11 pm

"...and I was clear about the few I do know"

Like Anne Fox, or maybe Steve Brozowski?

What about all those imbeciles who were trying to tie the two parcel tax efforts to some kind of "fiscal irresponsibility" on the part of the PUSD, and not on a proper response to a severe economic downturn. What a crock! Those people were claiming that there would have been financial problems even without the great recession! It is now clear and obvious that they were totally wrong.

Too bad the kids were sacrificed for your great cause. What a disgrace. Have you no shame?

Think about it. Take some time and give it some thought. You were wrong, and so was your "friend", "Stacey".

Posted by Kathleen Ruegsegger
a resident of Vintage Hills Elementary School
on Aug 26, 2014 at 3:19 pm

Kathleen Ruegsegger is a registered user.

John, I have no axe to grind with you, but no, neither.

Funny, though, I don't remember seeing you at the meetings about the bond refinancings or the ones about the second attempt at a parcel tax. And I'm fairly certain you were provided information with plenty of time to delve into the facts.

The last sentence is beneath you. But then I know at least one of your "friends" and shouldn't be surprised by it.

Posted by Cholo
a resident of Livermore
on Aug 26, 2014 at 4:23 pm

well well well...even though i'm a known snitch i won't tell who knows who...

unless of course there's $$$ involved!

i rest my case...

Posted by john
on Aug 26, 2014 at 4:25 pm

I was at the parcel tax meetings. Why do you say otherwise?

The bond thing didn't bother me at all.

Posted by Trolls Everywhere
a resident of Amberwood/Wood Meadows
on Aug 26, 2014 at 4:51 pm

Wake up people! Trolls are alive and well drumming up banther to outrange the uninformed. I wonder if I can do a public records request of the internet addresses of posters to this blog. Ill bet we will see a lot of repeaters.

Last time I did math 2/24 teachers does not represent 1/2. But I was taught "new math" the controversial curriculum.

Posted by Michael Austin
a resident of Pleasanton Meadows
on Aug 26, 2014 at 4:57 pm

Anyone that posts comment anonymously is a TROLL.
There is no other way to SLICE it.

Posted by appalling
on Aug 26, 2014 at 5:05 pm

If your child was one of the 66 students getting a last minute notification before starting the school year they would have a substitute teacher, after the principal several days earlier said that Walnut Grove they had to hire 11 (eleven) staff members and were hiring 2 more because of the turnover, not counting those on "leave," I'm sure you'd be thrilled too.

From Web Link

"Posted by Eric, a resident of Pleasanton Valley
on Aug 23, 2014 at 11:46 am
Eric is a registered user.

In true PUSD fashion, late this friday after business hours we receive an email telling us that 2 of the 5th grade classes at Walnut Grove will start the year this coming Monday with substitute teachers and how it will be a smooth transition. I call BS on that. How is starting a school year with substitutes smooth? The first couple of weeks are usually spent with the teachers getting to know their kids and what makes each individual tick. The children are in a constant state of what now, what are they going to take away or change? This particular group of 5th graders has had no sense of continuity for the last three years with the elimination of Discovery, removal of a Principal, unhappy teachers and staff, substitute teachers because they were out applying for School awards. A week ago my kid was excited about school, now just hoping that they don't have a bunch of different substitutes again. Disgusting. "

a resident of Canyon Oaks
on Aug 26, 2014 at 5:41 pm

So, Kathleen tells us the researchers she cites are neither, nor. She claims she has clearly identified them. Yet none of us can figure who it is she's talking about (which is to suggest she's again being dishonest with us). Likely conclusion: She was referring to her anonymous, zany, tea party friends and colleagues who inundate us with Henny-Penny sky is falling "concerns" such as found on the initiation and continuation of this thread.

Austin: Some, like myself, choose to remain anonymous because of security concerns for ourselves and our families. Some, also like myself, have earned an excellent reputation on the web, with "ratings" that could easily be tampered with by mischievous right-wingers who have nothing else to do with their lives. You may or may not have a family; and I gather you don't have much of a reputation to be concerned about. As for the kind of "research" you do, it may impress Kathleen, but on my view, it only generate laughter. Keep up the good work.

Posted by Michael Austin
a resident of Pleasanton Meadows
on Aug 26, 2014 at 6:10 pm

@Truth Seeker"

You are a TROLL.

a resident of Canyon Creek
on Aug 26, 2014 at 6:16 pm

As by your private-language definition 90% of posters are trolls. (A conspiracy perhaps?) But by all means, call me whatever you desire. And keep carrying the torch of silliness that we've come to associate with your reputation and, er, research skills.

Posted by Kathleen Ruegsegger
a resident of Vintage Hills Elementary School
on Aug 26, 2014 at 6:25 pm

Kathleen Ruegsegger is a registered user.

TS, 70,000 people and counting. Not the two named. I said I know who did research. I certainly can repeat one more time I'm not in the tea party. I don't know anyone who is.

Troll or not, if your reputation is so impeccable, it should be easy to withstand any perceived attacks. My guess is it can't withstand the truth.

Posted by question
a resident of Harvest Park Middle School
on Aug 26, 2014 at 6:54 pm

The names of the administrators that have left seem to have all been with the district before July 2008 when the Feds started going around town asking questions about the fake university. Maybe the superintendent is trying to purge them all because she thinks they tipped the Feds off.

I googled 2890 Victoria Ridge Court and Pleasanton. What will blockshopper look like when the process for the Federal seizure is finalized for the former Vice Principal at Harvest Park/District Office administrator? The webpage for this property on Blockshopper still shows Su as the owner. Web Link

Posted by josie
a resident of Walnut Grove Elementary School
on Aug 26, 2014 at 8:06 pm

I bet the poster who said the new Special Ed Director is amazing is the new Special Ed Director.
VIVA

a resident of Canyon Creek
on Aug 26, 2014 at 8:12 pm

70,000 and counting, eh? But you won't name a single one despite saying that you already clearly have? You're completely full of baloney. Sounds like but another variant of scrambled eggs to me.

The world isn't quite as black and white as your simplistic mind would have it. In the public realm, perception counts for a lot. I have a well-deserved reputation, supported by quite a few accomplishments. I doubt that those who don't have much of a reputation could quite appreciate what I'm saying.

Now as for you and/or Michael Austin and/or scrambled eggs I simply have no desire for the likes of "you" tampering with my public image on the justification that it backs your tea party agenda. And I really truly have no intention of allowing "you" to know where I live. Re. tea party -- when it walks like a duck, looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, well, there you have it.

Posted by Kathleen Ruegsegger
a resident of Vintage Hills Elementary School
on Aug 26, 2014 at 8:42 pm

Kathleen Ruegsegger is a registered user.

Yes, you are important because, well, you say you are; and we should know that because, hey, there is your unimpeachable reputation which, hmmmm, none of us can confirm. Sure, sure, sure. I see a big circle; a zero.

a resident of Canyon Creek
on Aug 26, 2014 at 10:14 pm

Like I say, the world isn't black and white as you think; and your deductions aren't much more than a plate of scrambled eggs.

Time to scour the pages (paragraphs?) of your unnamed researchers?

My own identity and the safety of my family means far more to me than someone who can only dish up scrambled eggs,

Posted by Kathleen Ruegsegger
a resident of Vintage Hills Elementary School
on Aug 26, 2014 at 10:25 pm

Kathleen Ruegsegger is a registered user.

I am interested in the lies you repeat as fact. I would never blame your family for your actions. The importance you claim must be false or too weak to withstand any serious scrutiny.

a resident of Canyon Creek
on Aug 27, 2014 at 12:35 am

I'm more interested in exposing your own lies and logical confusions. I don't need to lie in order to do that, as exposing what you present by way of lies and confusions is nearly always exhaustingly demanding in and of itself.

I wish you might have read more when you were in college -- I'm assuming you probably attended for a while -- as it might have contributed to raising the interest level of what you contribute. Instead, your discursive style reveals nothing more than a transparently primitive agenda. Unfortunately, there isn't enough logical consistency to sustain that agenda, though you seem unable to recognize this.

Have no fear. I'll continue to contribute to your efforts as best as I can.

In the meantime, let's continue on with our sky-is-falling hysteria that part-time teachers are needed for 2 out of 24 classes to begin the school year. And, of course, we can both be encouraged that Liberalism is a Disease, Right, William Tell, appalling, Austin and the rest of the trolls will all support our endeavor. Oh, and lest we forget, let's say it again: the past administration was AWFUL, and the current one is WEAK.

Posted by Kathleen Ruegsegger
a resident of Vintage Hills Elementary School
on Aug 27, 2014 at 6:58 am

Kathleen Ruegsegger is a registered user.

Let's seek that truth, TS.

You posted on this thread because you didn't want to log in on the thread about "Troubled Schools" to comment.

They are substitute teachers, not "part-time teachers." The title of this thread is "Half of ... 5th grade teachers quit," but, certainly, do be dismissive if you wish by saying 2 of 24.

Yes, I believe the last governance team (a distinction you ignore) was awful and this one is weak. No hysteria involved.

To post your comment, please click here to Log in

Remember me?
Forgot Password?

Hayward NAACP officials threaten blog posters

Not so speedy trial