WHO MONITORS CITY CONTRACTORS?

Original post made by Michael Austin, Pleasanton Meadows, on Aug 14, 2014

The city of Pleasanton contracts with several contractors to provide city services to the residents of Pleasanton. The focus of this topic is the city street sweeper contractor. My neighborhood originally scheduled under contract with the city, is to be swept and vacuumed the first Thursday of every month. When I noticed on the first Thursday of the month over several months that my street was not vacuumed and swept, I begin to ask questions of the city staff about this issue.

The response initially was, "GPS logs indicate that the contractor did sweep your street". Okay, I set out to watch for the street sweeper over a period of several months. Almost immediately, I watched as the street sweeper drove down my street in the normal lane of traffic at about 25 MPH. The sweeper was in the street driving by with regular traffic. The sweeper was not anywhere near the curb and gutter. The sweeper was not sweeping, the sweeper was not vacuuming. So, I contacted city staff again and informed them that my street did not have street cleaning that first Thursday of that month.

As I continued to monitor the sweeper activity on my street, the sweeper was there on the first Thursday of June and again on the first Thursday of July. The first Thursday of August, the street sweeper was a no show. The sweeper was nowhere in the neighborhood to be seen or heard from on that first Thursday in August. Well, I contacted city staff again. I was informed that the contractor changed the schedule from the first Thursday to the second Wednesday of the month.

Okay, I set out to monitor the sweeper contractor on the second Wednesday of August. Guess what? The sweeper contractor was a no show on that second Wednesday of August. So, I contacted city staff again. I asked for the contract with this sweeping contractor be provided to me. City staff resisted my request and directed me to the city web site that dispenses contract information for a fee. I replied back to the city staff, "I am a tax paying citizen, I am not required to pay a fee for public information". I copied city manager Nelson Fialho.

Fialho responded, asked for specifics. I provided Fialho the emails and other correspondence I have had with city staff regarding this street sweeping issue, along with my monitoring history for this sweeper contractor. The next day, I received the information I requested. As I post this topic on the weekly, I am confident and comfortable that the city manager will get this sweeper contractor issue taken care of. I really appreciate the professional manner in which our city manager gathers the facts, so that he can address an issue to resolve it. There have been other issues that I have interacted on with our city manager previously.

Regarding the city sweeping contract specifics and dollar value:

1. 7,555 curb miles per year $20.34 per mile $153,668 annually
2. Parking lots (24 locations) $792.00 per month &9,504.00 annually
3. 20 hours unscheduled sweeping $35.00 per hour $700.00 annually
4. 20 hour emergency sweeping $35.00 per hour $700.00 annually

Posted by Objectivist Thinker
a resident of Parkside
on Aug 14, 2014 at 7:04 pm

I think the city may be picking on you, Michael Austin. Perhaps you should write a lengthy complaint to Our Dear Leader in Washington D.C. If he doesn't respond, keep trying. And, by all means, keep maintaining your vigil regarding the lackey street sweepers. Your actions are an inspiration to us all.

Posted by Formerly Dan from BC
a resident of Bridle Creek
on Aug 15, 2014 at 8:08 am

Formerly Dan from BC is a registered user.

Excellent reporting!

But really, does this surprise anyone?

I'm going to check my neighborhoods schedule and see if they come here. I haven't seen a street sweeper in roughly 12 years.

Posted by Jan
on Aug 15, 2014 at 8:52 am

Where can we find the information on when the street sweeping should happen? I have lived here for about a year and have never seen street sweeping marks on our street. I figured that if we did have sweeping through our neighborhood there would be signs that told us when it was scheduled so vehicles would be moved. That is what was posted in our old neighborhood. Our neighborhood is pretty clean so I suppose our street sweeper could be driving through and just scanning for issues like MA mentioned was happening in his. Thank you for posting this information

Posted by Cholo
a resident of Livermore
on Aug 15, 2014 at 9:01 am

call a TV station, People Behaving Badly, so that what's not being done is seen by everybody...

Posted by Objectivist Thinker
on Aug 15, 2014 at 9:03 am

Dan and Jan,

Why would you expect to see street sweepers on unpaved country roads?

More importantly, after the sweeper comes through, isn't there supposed to be a water truck to wet down the kicked up dirt? And about these water trucks. Do they meet new specs given our so-called water crisis?

Posted by Jan
on Aug 15, 2014 at 9:29 am

The sweeper usually uses water while sweeping, on its brushes. No water truck needed. Unpaved country roads?

Posted by Objectivist Thinker
on Aug 15, 2014 at 11:25 am

I respectfully propose that two PATRIOT CITIZEN committees be formed. One, headed by Michael Austin, will station vigilante outposts on every street possible to report on whether sweepers do indeed come through neighborhoods and sweep when they are supposed to, excepting when the sweepers break down, drivers call in sick, and other unmentionables that should not figure into this ungodly mess of government incompetence.

The second committee, headed by Dan-Jan, will form auto brigades that will search for sweeper tracks on every roadway within the boundaries of the city known as Pleasanton.

I respectfully request that neither COMMITTEE gets back to us until each has written a 65-page report on its findings.

Any future stratagem beyond the two vigilante COMMITTEE reports will be decided by Cholo.

Posted by Cholo
a resident of Livermore
on Aug 15, 2014 at 11:32 am

Dear Objectivist Thinker,

Are we on the same page or what? "You betcha!"

Plus if I see any specks of dust out of place or on anybody's glasses, I'll call 7 On Your Side and make an issue of the timely mess!

i rest my case...

ps there's nothing in the world like being thought of and being considered as part of the solution...

Posted by Formerly Dan from BC
a resident of Bridle Creek
on Aug 15, 2014 at 9:42 pm

Formerly Dan from BC is a registered user.

Yes OT, we should just let city contractors waste our tax $.

You're a bright one, aren't you?

Posted by Objectivist Thinker
on Aug 15, 2014 at 10:31 pm

I'll not comment on any questions raised by individual posters, Dan, as this now is clearly in the hands of the COMMITTEES of intellectual activists who will be manning the vigilante outposts and tracking brigades. I shall not distract them from their important task to ensure people's streets are swept at a precise time of day as determined by an exact contracted schedule.

Posted by Lisa
a resident of Parkside
on Aug 16, 2014 at 6:41 am

Our schedule is the second Tuesday. I haven't seen the street in months. And I am home all day and would definitely see and hear it!
The street sweeper does however sweep the parking lot at the building behind me....at 3 AM!!!

Posted by Sweeper
a resident of California Reflections
on Aug 16, 2014 at 7:20 am

I am the sweeper. Thanks Pleasanton for paying me for doing nothing. A side benefit is it pisses everyone off when I get money for nothing and the chicks are free.

Posted by Cholo
a resident of Livermore
on Aug 16, 2014 at 11:19 am

I can hardly believe that I'm agreeing with sooooo many Plutonians...the Sweeper is on the stick. yup...brush up the dust and moveon.com. That's my motto!

I have a new bike so I'll make sure that the guilty parties are REPORTED AND I MEAN IT!

that's the kind of person i am...call the cops, 7 on your side, and tell tell tell...in Plutonia, if you haven't complained or reported an innocent or guilty resident to the PPD, you haven't lived!

Tonight, I'm baking halibut steaks for my buds, the boiled potatos and salad by one of my hearty and trouble-making seniors buds! HOORAY!

WE'RE OFF TO SEE THE WIZZARD!!!