High levels of E. coli in Shadow Cliffs causes partial closure

Original post made on Jul 25, 2014

The south beach of Shadow Cliffs Lake closed Wednesday afternoon due to an extremely high E. coli bacteria measurement, according to the East Bay Regional Park District website.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Friday, July 25, 2014, 7:46 AM

Posted by Dumping in the H2O
on Jul 25, 2014 at 9:45 am

As the amount of low-cost housing increases in the Tri-Valley, look for this problem of doing #2, or not washing after doing #2, to become more of a problem at Shadow Cliffs. I'm not saying that lightly, but from years of observation of the phenomenon in other areas.

+   1 person likes this
Posted by Bill
a resident of Pleasanton Heights
on Jul 25, 2014 at 10:02 am

You can have a Shadow Cliffs in your own backyard. Order up a stock tank from your closest Livermore hardware store. Fill it with water in December, and spread bread around to attract as many ducks as you can. Let it bake in the sun, and for pete's sake don't put any chlorine or new water in. Just let it sit...nice and stagnant. When the water level has evaporated by half, the water turns black, and the tadpoles start to die, you've got it! Just like Shadow Cliffs! 30 years here, and I still haven't met anyone in town who has actually gone swimming there.

Posted by PtownPete
a resident of Valley View Elementary School
on Jul 25, 2014 at 10:51 am

PtownPete is a registered user.

We live in Ptown (and not in low cost housing) and take our boys to Shadow Cliffs a few times every spring and summer, although I haven't had the chance to take them there this year since the water rationing.

Very few of our Ptown friends have taken their kids there. I try not to pass judgment on people based on their appearance, at least not in a setting like a public park (how someone presents themselves in a job interview is a different story). Having said that, I don't think most of the people there are Pleasanton residents and from the style of tattoos I see there (those letters in cursive across their chests and backs) many appear to be from a lower economic background.

But I don't care how much money the other park goers make and my kids certainly don't notice. We're all part of the human race, no matter how much money we make, and I'm doing my best to make sure my kids don't grow up classist (having negative opinions of people and applying stereotypes to them just because they make less money). Classism isn't as bad in the US, in my opinion, as it is in other countries. I especially noticed it when I lived in South America for awhile.

I do worry about the E. coli but I know they monitor the levels daily and trust they have adequate controls to shut down the park when the levels are bad. From scanning Yelp it looks like they have had a few incidents of swimmer's rash from around July 2012, but I only see one E. Coli incident and it was someone who was immuno-compromised.

Web Link

I'd imagine they don't monitor E. coli levels as fervently on airplanes, and it looks like that's a much bigger breeding ground for this sort of stuff:

Web Link

Peace and love. Personally I'm glad we have a Shadow Cliffs in Pleasanton. Del Valle is always another option and much more enjoyable to get to if you take your bicycle!

Posted by Cholo
a resident of Livermore
on Jul 25, 2014 at 11:38 am

(Removed)

Posted by liberalism is a disease
on Jul 25, 2014 at 2:16 pm

liberalism is a disease is a registered user.

Pete, you're so right on, although your political correctness is a little much. Just spell it out:
On weekends, it looks like the border near El Paso, with the MS 13 cholos drinking cheap wine and waiting for inevitable fight to break out with their homies and/or their wives (per the details on the police blotters).
And they say the E.coli is from too much bird droppings.....

Posted by liberalism is a disease
on Jul 25, 2014 at 2:20 pm

liberalism is a disease is a registered user.

Cholo, I think the PW moderators are growing tired of censoring your posts.

Usually, they elaborate their reasons in more detail (post makes no sense, post makes personal attacks or unverified claims about an individual, post has nothing to do with the topic, etc.). Now, it's just down to 'removed'. LOL. They say brevity is the soul of wit....in any case, we get the message...everyone is tired of your act. Rest your case already.

Posted by Censor All Humor
on Jul 25, 2014 at 4:27 pm

Yes, Cholo, as the editors so often illustrate, they are much more concerned with your humor than the racist sewage spewed by Disease/Right/William Tell/Pleas-was-nice-40/etc.

I guess PW editors are afraid their readers will be offended by harmless off-the-wall humor, but will feel rather comfortably at ease with racist rants from hating spewing KKKers. Such is the town we live in! Thanks PW for clarifying our demographics and the biases that extend from it.

Posted by liberalism is a disease
on Jul 25, 2014 at 8:05 pm

liberalism is a disease is a registered user.

Censor, from 'another neighborhood': You still live in a once free country. Feel free to not read these posts, stay away from the PW, or move away from the area you find so offensive.
Harmless-off-the-wall humor? So, you think advocating for La Raza-type takeovers of our country are acceptable? How about the constant anti-white rants threatening takeover of ove rneighborhoods that are 'inevitable'?
You and your ilk may find this drivel and his veiled threats 'humorous', but you are 'in the minority'.

Find a worthwhile cause to defend, or move on.

Posted by Censor All Humor
on Jul 25, 2014 at 10:06 pm

(Removed) I'm all for freedom of speech -- even your own racist sewage. What I'm criticizing is PW censors' practice of censoring Cholo and others they disagree with while leaving alone the hate-based, racist venom that they seem to believe represents a substantial segment of their readership.

La Raza? Takeovers? Really. What are you afraid of you frightened, hate-filled, little man?

You might find more tolerant uptake from others over on Cushing's blog. He feels comfortable letting the racists have their say because, hey, Republicans deserve our respect, even the racist ones (who are a majority of the party). Also, of course, hatred and hate-selected lies and misinformation is pretty easily refuted, and so you'll feed Cushing's comfort level. It is anyone to the left of himself who he truly fears, their arguments and facts threatening his faux liberalism. (See his censorship of Stephen Colbert; see his obsession with knowing and filing people's IP numbers.)

Posted by liberalism is a disease
on Jul 26, 2014 at 10:25 am

liberalism is a disease is a registered user.

Troll with a man crush for Cushing. How very diverse of you. Maybe now might be a good time for mr. Cushing to get a restraining order.

To post your comment, please click here to Log in

Remember me?
Forgot Password?

Not Endorsements
By Roz Rogoff | 7 comments | 1,174 views

A second half of life exceptionally well lived
By Tim Hunt | 1 comment | 599 views