Drought keeping the pressure on water cutbacks

Original post made on Jul 25, 2014

Penalties will be imposed in the coming weeks on Pleasanton residential and business water customers who fail to reduce their consumption by at least 25% over the comparable billing period last year.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Friday, July 25, 2014, 12:00 AM

Posted by Franco
a resident of Vineyard Hills
on Jul 25, 2014 at 6:24 pm

Franco is a registered user.

The print edition of this opinion piece showed pictures of two addresses: one with a brown lawn and one with a green lawn. Having identified these residences, the article leaves to the reader the conclusion. How grossly unfair! Two points: 1. where does it is it written that a brown lawn is a requirement or that a resident did not meet the 25% reduction because the lawn is still green? 2. The golf course uses recycled water - who is to say the address shown in the print edition did not use water picked up at reclamation plant to water the lawn.

And what was the purpose to list the addresses in the print edition? What was the point? To single out personally someone and slam him unfairly?

Posted by liberalism is a disease
on Jul 25, 2014 at 7:39 pm

liberalism is a disease is a registered user.

Have new hookups been halted due to this 'crisis'? No? Then, how bad can it really be? Not bad enough for our politicians to act on behalf of all of us existing water customers.

Posted by Daveg
on Jul 25, 2014 at 10:49 pm

Daveg is a registered user.

I have to agree with Franco regarding the posting and addresses on conditions of lawns. Who knows the conditions regarding both situations. It is indeed disingenuous for the Pleasanton Weekly to post addresses without taking the time to find out the conditions surrounding each case. Regardless, how would either Jeb or Gina feel if their address and picture of their home was posted in any local paper with an implied negative slant?

Posted by Billie
a resident of Mohr Park
on Jul 26, 2014 at 12:05 pm

I also agree with Franco. My lawn is a case in point. We water our small lawn by hand once or twice a week. The lawn remains a bit greener than others in my neighborhood. Although the minimal watering helps a little, it isn't the main reason it stays alive. There are two bigger factors. My house faces east and I have a big tree in the middle of my yard. What that means to my lawn is that when the sun burns the hottest, noon to evening, my yard is completely shaded.

Many of my neighbors, especially those across the street, do not have trees in their yards, or trees planted that can shade their yard, and so get the full effects of the afternoon sun on their lawn.

It looks like the house pictured with the green lawn is also mostly shaded at whatever time the picture was taken. Food for thought.

Posted by Mike
a resident of Highland Oaks
on Jul 26, 2014 at 3:00 pm

I logged on to make a comment and read Franco's, Daveg's and Billie's comments. Amen. Yes, my lawn is greener than most for many reasons, some stated in the previous comments. By the way, I have reduce usage by 33% from last year. The Pleasanton Weekly would be looking at a slander law suit from me if that was my address in the article with the green lawn. I think an apology to those residents is in order.

Posted by Cholo
a resident of Livermore
on Jul 26, 2014 at 3:05 pm

One cannot count on what is published on this blog by certain folks.

i rest my case...

Posted by liberalism is a disease
on Jul 26, 2014 at 6:59 pm

liberalism is a disease is a registered user.

Cholo, truer words were never spoken by you, ever. Thanks for finally outing yourself.

Posted by Right
on Jul 26, 2014 at 7:45 pm

I'm watering 50% less but my lawn is twice as green, probably because my lawn benefits from spilloff water from a nearby golf course. You people must realize that all of this is a hokes. Perpertrated by our Dear Leader and his minions. In LA Story it showed how government can control the spigots to create a false crisis. Here we are with Moonbeam marching in lock step with the global warming alarmists. Makes me want to gag, having this stuff rammed down my throat.

Posted by liberalism is a disease
on Jul 27, 2014 at 8:12 pm

liberalism is a disease is a registered user.

Hokes? Stuff rammed down your throat? You are only posting as 'Right'. Only mittens would advocate for what you are suggesting. (Gagging))

Posted by sknywench
a resident of Amador Valley High School
on Jul 28, 2014 at 1:19 pm

sknywench is a registered user.

FRANCO is completely correct. Where does the PW get off publishing actual addresses and photos of people's homes? Who appointed them as the water police or gestapo? The City tracks water useage of households and will issue notifications if necessary, not the media, and the editors should be ashamed of themselves and apologize. A green or brown lawn itself is NO indicator of how much water a home is using. The brown lawner could have water wasting toilets and a low efficiency clothes and dishwasher (?) While the green lawner could have efficient fixtures and low water useage so they opt to keep the front turf healthy. Not a bad neighbor policy in my mind. We use 225 g/da which is low, have a very small backyard with mostly pavers, drought-tolerant plants, and we fine-tuned our irrigation to keep the lawn just green enough. Plus being in the shade doesn't hurt either.

To post your comment, please click here to Log in

Remember me?
Forgot Password?

Prop 46: Two Bridges Too Far
By Tom Cushing | 22 comments | 2,159 views

The valley loses a distinguished and humble leader

My secret identity is revealed!
By Roz Rogoff | 2 comments | 1,169 views