Anyone Been Fined Yet for Water Overuse?

Original post made by highdiver, Another Pleasanton neighborhood, on Jul 21, 2014

It's been more than 2 months since the City of Pleasanton posted that people would be fined for not cutting back 25% from their last years water usage. Anyone be fined?

Posted by Why am I Saving?
on Jul 21, 2014 at 7:01 pm

The City should be fined for the green lawns in the park. Take a look at the park where the Friday concerts are held. It was looking slightly brown until about a month ago. According to the neighbors that park is watered for a total of 6 hours a week and it is now green and even soggy near the flag pole.

Do you water your lawns 6 hours a week? Why is it OK for the City to do that in the park? I don't care how much they have cut back overall, no landscaping anywhere in this town should be so green when they are threatening us with fines. Maybe they need to listen to the person they hired for $200,000 to tell all of us dumb citizens that it is so important to save water.

Posted by HA
a resident of Del Prado
on Jul 21, 2014 at 11:19 pm

Yes that is so true. The city needs to pay big time. They want us to save so they can water the parks.You should see Castlewood golf course it's perfect. Oh and the driving range On valley waters late at night so you have a green spot for your balls to drop. Shame on Pleasanton

Posted by Right
on Jul 22, 2014 at 6:57 am

The whole water shortage thing is a big hokes so that governments have a reason to further regulate our lives. Meanwhile, I'm paying higher gas and beef prices. What a joke.

Posted by Gram-ME
on Jul 22, 2014 at 8:24 am

From what I was told by water dept. personnel, billing statements will go out in August.

Posted by Cholo
a resident of Livermore
on Jul 22, 2014 at 8:26 am

[removed because it is irrelevant]

Posted by Tom F
a resident of Castlewood
on Jul 22, 2014 at 10:11 am

I still water like a MF'er and am able to meet the 25% mandate no problem. But then, I am smarter than the average bear.

Posted by Cholo
a resident of Livermore
on Jul 22, 2014 at 10:26 am

[Removed because it is irrelevant]

Posted by Jack
on Jul 22, 2014 at 2:12 pm

@ Tom F.
Since you live in Castlewood, I don't think the 25% mandate even applies to you...

Posted by kbenson
a resident of Bordeaux Estates
on Jul 22, 2014 at 3:51 pm

Recent observation(s)

While @ Anahiem, noticed sprinklers running on various median(mid-day). Also observed hotel pool person casually hosing down the area surrounding the pool. I don't think our so-cal counterparts are concerned.

Now back home- heavy watering @ Alameda fairgrounds (during day) I assume not recycled water?

Posted by kbenson
a resident of Bordeaux Estates
on Jul 22, 2014 at 3:54 pm

Re- HA-

City needs to pay big time? It would end up coming out of tax payers wallets. Anytime local/state/fed gets penalized, it is the tax-payer who ultimately pays.

Posted by Jim
on Jul 23, 2014 at 10:56 am

Neighbor just informed me she used 50 units of water and DID receive the fine. Her bill she just received was $500. Assuming it was the $4 extra per unit and the $50 penalty for first offense. Guess they were not kidding... Does this money go towards installing more wells to help make us a more self sufficient town?

Posted by Liars
on Jul 23, 2014 at 3:27 pm

Jim

Your neighbors are ranking your chain. The bills will not come for some time yet.

Posted by Jim
on Jul 24, 2014 at 7:22 am

We received our bill also this last weekend. That seems like a strange thing to lie about

Posted by Damon
a resident of Foothill Knolls
on Jul 24, 2014 at 9:28 am

I haven't received our bill and don't expect to for another month or so. Are they sent out on some staggered schedule, or should everyone be receiving theirs at about the same time?

Posted by Me Too
on Jul 25, 2014 at 12:08 am

Right - really? You think that the fact that there has been little rain/snow this year is a hoax (or hokes, as you put it)? So who is in control that put so little snow in the mountains. By the way, you can visit the mountains and see the snow (or lack there of). You are free to check out every reservoir in the state. If you have some evidence of a hoax, please present it. Otherwise, you a jsut another member of the lunatic fringe.

Posted by Joan
a resident of Highland Oaks
on Jul 28, 2014 at 7:41 pm

Just received our bill. We didn't make the cutoff. We were charged $4 per unit for ALL the water we used, not just the number OVER the amount that would have put us at 75% of last year. I'm confused. The articles in the paper referred to a penalty for usage above the amount. The penalty was 250 dollars. That's robbery.

Posted by Joan
a resident of Highland Oaks
on Jul 28, 2014 at 9:19 pm

Update. My mistake, my bill was 250 PLUS a 350 surcharge penalty. Highway robbery.

Posted by Why am I Saving?
on Jul 29, 2014 at 2:31 pm

Joan pays a huge penalty yet the city parks are all nice and green and the sport's park is being watered during the day. Of course the PW shows homes and addresses with lawns but they do nothing about the waste on the part of the city.

Posted by Bill Carman
a resident of Country Fair
on Jul 29, 2014 at 3:43 pm

Let's say that I live in Pleasanton and last year my wife and six kids went to Utah for June. This year, my brother and sister-in-law came to our house for the month of June with their eight kids. This year, I used three times the water; will I be penalized?

Posted by Cholo
a resident of Livermore
on Jul 29, 2014 at 3:54 pm

What seems to be the problem that so many posters are complaining about being penalized? Everybody was advised that it was coming. I've even read that some folks have no intention of paying the penalty?

If you haven't been charged for using three times the water...be patient. If I knew your address I'd report you and then could be treated equally.

If you're willing to post your address on this blog, somebody else will report you, it doesn't have to be ole Cholo mio!

Posted by Michael Austin
a resident of Pleasanton Meadows
on Jul 29, 2014 at 4:07 pm

Bill Carman,

You may apply for a waiver so as not to be penalized.
Daniel Smith informed me in an email that the language for the
new water restrictions law is written so as to provide for the
circumstance you describe.

Also the city has a web site that provides on line form.
www.pleasantonwaterconservation.com or call water conservation
hotline 925-931-5504.

I don't know if the language Daniel Smith spoke of is in that
on line form.