German Program at Foothill cuts????

Original post made by Concerned on Jul 8, 2014

Heard some rumors the program may be getting some cuts... Does anyone know more facts?

Posted by #Cholo, a resident of Livermore
on Jul 8, 2014 at 10:32 am

so sad to hear about the cutback...i don't speak german but i understand phrases and know a few greetings...lovely language...hope there's an effort to save the program...some of the great works of literature are written in german..a great loss

Posted by Concerned , a resident of Carriage Gardens
on Jul 8, 2014 at 1:44 pm

From what I heard the program is being cut altogether, just maybe a few classes being chopped from the program...

Posted by Not Cutbacks - It's Sign-ups, a resident of Amador Estates
on Jul 9, 2014 at 10:32 am

Students signing up for German classes are down. As a result they will reduced the number of classes offered. In some cases they will need to combine levels to be able to offer the class. For example they will offer German 3/4 or 2/3/4 as in one class. They have done this with Latin at Foothill for many years. It has nothing to do with "cutbacks."

Posted by Ado, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Jul 9, 2014 at 6:33 pm

Heute Deutsch und morgen die ganze curriculum

Posted by Nicky, a resident of Highland Oaks
on Jul 9, 2014 at 7:59 pm

Maybe the students have been reading the German teacher's husband's blog...

Posted by Curious, a resident of Canyon Creek
on Jul 9, 2014 at 10:22 pm

Makes perfect sense to me. Who speaks German outside of Germany? Foothill should offer French, Arabic, and Chinese instead.

Posted by Cholo, a resident of Livermore
on Jul 10, 2014 at 8:57 am

there are well over 200 languages spoken in China...what specifically do you mean by "Chinese"?

German is spoken in other European nations.

Posted by #Cholo, a resident of Livermore
on Jul 10, 2014 at 9:02 am

German is spoken: Web Link

Posted by Concerned, a resident of Amador Estates
on Jul 10, 2014 at 3:10 pm

Curious- really...? German is only spoken in Germany? Have you heard of Austria or Switzerland?

Posted by Concerned , a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Jul 10, 2014 at 3:14 pm

Oh, and of course you can not forget the German Jamaicans!!! In Jamaica you would be surprised how many German speakers there are!!! VIVA LA GERMACIANS!

Posted by Concerned , a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Jul 10, 2014 at 3:16 pm

Nicky- I would be curious to see the blog... Could you link it?

Posted by Frau Dr. Fleming, a resident of Foothill High School
on Jul 11, 2014 at 11:13 pm

Hi folks!

I am the German teacher at Foothill, and no, the awesome German program at Foothill HS is not being cut. All academic departments at FHS are experiencing section cuts for the 2014-2015 school year. Because I am a creative teacher with tremendous passion for the subject I teach and sincere commitment to my students, the current situation will lead to productive collaboration between instructional levels, and I have fully prepared my students for the changes we will face.

Enrollments in German 1 have been increasing steadily ever since an initial plunge following the budget crisis cut of the strong German program at Hart MS in 2010. In that year, German 1 enrollments dropped from 28 (2010) to 2 (2011). In 2012, 14 students signed up for German 1; in 2013, there were 20 students; and the incoming class boasts 22 students, the last time I checked.

I would say that those are pretty good increases, especially given the common Californian myopia that "no one speaks German outside of Germany". I mean, if we were a publicly traded company, smart investors would be interested!

My students know that Germany is arguably the single most important economic ally of the United States, especially vis-a-vis the competition that China presents. They know that German money and German business (SAP, Bayer, Infineon, Trader Joe's, Allianz, Daimler, to name a few) come to California. They also know that knowledge of German leads to scholarships (for example, one of my 2014 has been awarded a full ride at a prestigious college because of her proficiency in German), internships (every summer, my graduates land internships with German companies), and immediate employment (five of my students currently hold part-time jobs in and around Pleasanton that *require* fluency in German).

I am not aware of any blogs that my ex-husband writes, but hopefully my reputation and experience as a teacher with a doctorate in German Literature (as well as a BA and MA in German Lit), a Master's in education, 15 years' experience teaching German to high school, middle school, and elementary students, and 10 years' experience teaching German at the 100 through 300 levels in the Ivy League and UC systems would outweigh anything he has to say. Far more important still is what my students have to say: Web Link.

I am pleased to answer any questions the Pleasanton community has about the German program at FHS, so please direct those to my PUSD email address: hfleming [at] pleasantonusd [dot] net.

With kind regards und herzlichen Grüßen,
Frau Dr. Fleming

Posted by Nicky, a resident of Highland Oaks
on Jul 12, 2014 at 6:32 am

My bad. I got the two high schools mixed up It's the other one who's husband writes the blog.

Posted by Parent, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Jul 12, 2014 at 9:17 am

Frau Fleming is outstanding! She was my son's favorite teacher at FHS. I cannot speak highly enough about the German program at Foothill. Heresay and rumors are ugly things....

Posted by Cholo, a resident of Livermore
on Jul 12, 2014 at 11:16 am

I don't believe that American citizens appreciate the importance of teaching other languages in schools.

Posted by Cholo, a resident of Livermore
on Jul 13, 2014 at 3:05 pm

A language other than English is always a plus +++ for any business!

ps GERMANY just won the WORLD CUP 2014! VIVA!

THE GAME WAS SO ENGAGING THAT A FEW TIME I THOUGHT THAT I WAS PLAYING!!!

If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.