The Fair Music is too loud!

Original post made by Decibels, Another Pleasanton neighborhood, on Jul 1, 2014

I would like to know what our City and County are doing to control the ear-deafening sound of amplified music that radiates from the Fair Grounds day and night.

The downtown has sound limits, so why is the County Fair immune?

There are a lot of fun things to do at that fair so I went to their concert. The sound levels were so high my almost deaf grandpa had to cover his ears. Really? Do we need this? I don't know how the people that live nearby can stand it.

Although I live in town far away from the fair, we hear the music every night. Not a big problem for me, but can't they just turn down the music to a reasonable level? Please!

Posted by Cholo
a resident of Livermore
on Jul 1, 2014 at 10:25 am

NO! Just wait for the fireworks and the fire...it's on the way.

Posted by Dusty
on Jul 1, 2014 at 10:54 am

You think the Fair is noisy, just wait until this event hits the Fairgrounds from 8pm to 8am... Web Link

Posted by JR
a resident of Livermore
on Jul 1, 2014 at 4:01 pm

So the Fair has been going on for 150 years. I think most of the people that live nearby are used to the two weeks of music. It's like buying a house close to the Airport and then complaining about the airplane noise? Fairs are loud! This is not news! So now there has to be a noise ordinance for the Fair because of people enjoying a family friendly good old time? No! I disagree. Get the pole out of your cheeks and live a little man! It's only TWO WEEKS A YEAR!!

Posted by MB
a resident of Val Vista
on Jul 1, 2014 at 5:25 pm

You're getting old...

Posted by lrm
on Jul 1, 2014 at 5:54 pm

The fair is central to the history and identity of Pleasanton. The fair noise last for two weeks and is tolerable for that period of time. The fair continues to bring joy to many thousands every year and hopefully it will be here long after we have gone. Be thankful that the fair property has not been turned into high density housing as was proposed some decades ago. As a lifetime resident of the area I am grateful we have such a wonderful fair in our midst. We can live a little noise for two weeks.

Posted by Jose
a resident of Castlewood
on Jul 1, 2014 at 6:18 pm

The fair is really the best time for locals to take a vacation! We do it every year. Glad to see yearly revenue stream into Pleasanton. Local businesses also do well.

Posted by ptownright
on Jul 1, 2014 at 7:32 pm

I live downtown just off Main and I dont even hear a sound from the concerts. I doubt it's as big of a nuisance as you imagine.

Posted by First World Problems
a resident of another community
on Jul 1, 2014 at 7:39 pm

With all that ails the world, I find it utterly stupefying someone took the time to post a rant about loud music at a county fair..... oh wait, I spent my time responding to their banality, whose the dolt now?

Posted by Turn it down
a resident of Del Prado
on Jul 1, 2014 at 11:59 pm

I agree with the original post. While we were at the fair, the concert music was too loud. We had to leave because it hurt my ears. I just don't see why it has to be so loud to enjoy the music.

Posted by Tom F
a resident of Castlewood
on Jul 2, 2014 at 5:36 am

I can hear the music from my hovel. I have no issues with the volume. I just sit out on my deck with an adult beverage and some fine sticky and enjoy the music.

Posted by VanSmack
on Jul 2, 2014 at 8:32 am

If it's too loud, you're too old.

Posted by Ron
a resident of Pleasanton Heights
on Jul 2, 2014 at 9:00 am

(Post removed by Pleasanton Weekly Online staff as irrelevant to this thread.)

Posted by old guy
a resident of Willow West
on Jul 2, 2014 at 9:11 am

Well you rarely find anything to be perfect and the annual county fair is no different. However, the fair is a good thing for Pleasanton. It brings in much needed revenue and provides entertainment for most all tastes. There is always the good and the not so good but the I think we all realize which one benefits our fair city in the end. Maybe it would be a better use of our time to consider this fact when evaluating the annual county fair experience. My only problem with the fair is it could probably be extended in length a few days and not close on Mondays. This is a good time of the year in Pleasanton.

Posted by Michael L.
a resident of Vineyard Avenue
on Jul 2, 2014 at 9:32 am

Just turn the volume down on your hearing aid, you have it to high.

Posted by Saving my hearing for when I get old
a resident of Bridle Creek
on Jul 2, 2014 at 10:05 am

I am 26 years old and i am not old, unless you posters are all teenagers - which I doubt.

Perhaps the Fair is trying to mask their poor music selections by adding volume for the hearing impaired audience to listen to Eddie Money, but I am not impressed.

In summary - louder is not better, especially with this list of bands. And VanSmack - a bit too many Rolling Stones concerts sitting by the speakers in the past? Eh - what did you say?

Posted by agree with Ron
on Jul 2, 2014 at 10:12 am

(Post removed by Pleasanton Weekly Online staff as irrelevant to this thread.)

Posted by Cholo
a resident of Livermore
on Jul 2, 2014 at 11:32 am

(Post removed by Pleasanton Weekly Online staff as irrelevant to this thread.)

Posted by Ptown
a resident of Las Positas Garden Homes
on Jul 2, 2014 at 1:50 pm

Deal with it... its only 2 weeks...

Posted by Mitch
a resident of another community
on Jul 2, 2014 at 3:41 pm

26 years old, complaining about the music from the fair. Guessing you are a lot of fun at parties?

In case you just got here, fear not, this is the only period you will hear a peep out of anything. For the rest of the year, the downtown shuts down early, and it is quiet and boring, just like you.

Posted by kbenson
a resident of Bordeaux Estates
on Jul 2, 2014 at 6:58 pm

I think the PA system @ Amador HS is louder

Posted by It is women vs men
a resident of Del Prado
on Jul 3, 2014 at 8:30 am

I think I figured it out, men tune out loud music but women are bothered by it. Makes sense, my husband has the ability to tune me out no problem, but I just can't seem to turn him out - even though I try - trust me.

A battle of the sexes on volume?

Posted by Cholo
a resident of Livermore
on Jul 3, 2014 at 11:50 am

use earplugs...works!

Posted by Um...
a resident of Amador Estates
on Jul 3, 2014 at 11:59 am

(Post removed by Pleasanton Weekly Online staff as irrelevant to this thread.)

Posted by dogfather
a resident of another community
on Jul 3, 2014 at 12:15 pm

(Post removed by Pleasanton Weekly Online staff as irrelevant to this thread.)

Posted by Steve
a resident of Stoneridge
on Jul 3, 2014 at 3:16 pm

(Post removed by Pleasanton Weekly Online staff as irrelevant to this thread.)

Posted by Melissa A.
a resident of Del Prado
on Jul 4, 2014 at 8:39 am

I can handle the music at the fairgrounds for 3 weeks each summer (it's not two), but the fairgrounds has evolved over the last ten years into something beyond a minor annoyance. Does anyone really like the traffic/noise during the Good Guys events? What about the noise from the stupid haunted house each fall? I cringe when the Weekly just acts like a cheerleader for the more events and doesn't consider impacts to the surrounding community.
Also, did it bother anybody else when they used hundreds of gallons to water for a "mud race" during a severe drought?

Posted by Michael L.
a resident of Vineyard Avenue
on Jul 4, 2014 at 8:50 am

I like that I can walk to the fairgrounds and see so many different events without having to drive to another town. Sometimes the traffic can get in the way but it's not as bad as my commute to work so why worry about it.

As far as the concert noise, I was at the Fairgrounds on Wednesday night and I hardly heard the concert from the back of the grounds. You had to be in sight of the concert stage for it to be loud enough to really notice.

It seems that many people wish that they were in the Pleasanton of 40 years ago. If you want that then you need to move to Alturas or some place like that. Pleasanton has changed and it's not going back.

Posted by peace and quiet
on Jul 4, 2014 at 9:59 am

Comment deemed inappropriate by Pleasanton Weekly Online staff)

Posted by k.d.
on Jul 4, 2014 at 1:41 pm

k.d. is a registered user.

It seems so simple to me that I don't know why anyone would even get upset.
It is only for a short period of time when the fair is here. Adjust, adjust, adjust. There is always another way of doing things. Change your seats or location, wear ear plugs or just feel thankful that you are still able to go to the fair and enjoy the many things offered. No one ever promised that our lives would be perfect. Enjoy the fair while you can.

To post your comment, please click here to Log in

Remember me?
Forgot Password?

Prop 47: not perfect, just preferable.
By Tom Cushing | 2 comments | 917 views

The Vranesh situation heads to court