************* ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTING *************

Original post made by PROUD AMERICAN on Jun 6, 2014

Today, June 6, 2014 3:28pm I witnessed one of the most disrespectful acts a citizen of this great country could do. As I drove by Hearst Elementary School there was a lone man beginning to lower our beloved flag. So I watched and to my complete disbelief he lowered first our state flag and then the American flag to the ground and as I continued to watch he folded them up like some old blankets. And again on to the ground they went so he could secure the lines on the flagpole.
Mr.Kuhfal Sir I have ALWAYS respected you, you have been an inspiration to me and certainly to my son over the years, for this I am truly thankful for everything you have done. So it is with great honor and appreciation for you Sir, that I am bringing this to your attention in this forum. I know as commander in chief of Hearst Elementary School you will correct this travesty to our great country's symbol for which many men and women gave there lives to protect.
Please Sir, I am quite sure you were completely unaware of the circumstances regarding the lowering of the American flag and will show the students and this community the proper procedures / traditions for lowering our beloved Stars and Stripes. How it ALWAYS takes two people to lower, hold and fold the flag off the ground in fourths longways in such a manner that you end up with the field of blue at one end and the red and white stripes showing. Then without fail the person holding the red and white stripes side begins folding in PERFECT triangles, one after the other until you reach the field of blue with stars and you continue until all that shows is BLUE AND STARS. If done correctly you be left with a slight amount of flag that is tucked neatly into itself. Showing nothing but a perfect triangle of blue and stars. And at no point does the flag EVER TOUCH THE GROUND ANYWHERE !
I said something to the man ( big surprise there, for those who know me ) who was standing next to our country's flag on the ground and as he picked it up and tucked our flag ( which was folded in squares ) under his arm and started to walk away, he told me what he did was fine. Well it's not ! I hope for quick and permanent changes to the way our flag is handled in the future. For the record, any American flag that touches the ground is to be burned and replaced with a new flag that has not been disrespected.
Please Mr. Kuhfal, you Sir are a great man, show everyone that the words around your campus are not just for students and faculty. Show us that the words and actions go for our home and our great flag. THE AMERICAN FLAG !

Thank you Sir.

Posted by William Tell, a resident of Birdland
on Jun 6, 2014 at 5:04 pm

(Post removed by Pleasanton Weekly Online staff as irrelevant to this thread.)

Posted by what timing, a resident of Downtown
on Jun 6, 2014 at 5:04 pm

I certainly hope that this is not the only place that you posted your information. It needs to be sent directly to the district office and to the principle. It cannot be expected that those people will bother to read these posts.

Considering the fact that thousands of people gave their lives on D-Day, as well as throughout all other wars, this kind of disrespect needs to be addressed immediately and stopped completely.

Posted by Cholo, a resident of Livermore
on Jun 6, 2014 at 5:14 pm

Comment deemed inappropriate by Pleasanton Weekly Online staff)

Posted by kbenson, a resident of Bordeaux Estates
on Jun 7, 2014 at 3:50 pm

Comment deemed inappropriate by Pleasanton Weekly Online staff)

Posted by Seriously?, a resident of Amador Estates
on Jun 7, 2014 at 4:31 pm

Seriously, you couldn't call the school and tell them what you saw? You have to post on here anonymously?

Pathetic

Posted by Me Too, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Jun 7, 2014 at 9:08 pm

While I certainly appreciate your sentiment, the fact that a flag touches the ground does not necessitate burning (or disposal) of the flag. Likewise the United States has no requirement for the proper folding of the flag (but yes, the triangle method has become tradition). So before you try to hang someone for doing there job, I suggest you understand the purpose of the flag and the established requirements when handling the flag.

Posted by Me Too, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Jun 7, 2014 at 9:54 pm

And yes I types "there" instead of "their" - please forgive me

Posted by joanna, a resident of Downtown
on Jun 8, 2014 at 9:16 pm

Perhaps you should volunteer your time to help. Jeesh.

Posted by Lunky, a resident of Avignon
on Jun 9, 2014 at 8:08 am

I went to a Tea Party rally last summer and a lot of babes were wearing American flag blouses and tee shirts. Another had the American flag tattooed as a tramp stamp on her lower back. That was pretty cool. Don't tread on me!

Posted by US Native, a resident of Livermore
on Jun 9, 2014 at 10:37 am

Since we have flag day approaching this week and school is winding down, why don't you volunteer your time to demonstrate to the staff and students the proper method for folding the flag.
As others have stated, you should call the school rather than posting on this forum as a way to reach the school principal if that is the person you are naming.
Griping about it won't solve anything!

Posted by Barely any worthy comments from anyone, a resident of Bridle Creek
on Jun 9, 2014 at 2:49 pm

Barely anyone who says " yes, that's wrong. The flag should be shown more respect." More about attacking someone who points out a major flaw in a school run by our government, where respect for the flag should be shown. Do the kids even say the " Pledge of Allegiance " at school any more ? Bet every negative or sarcastic comment came from a small minded, selfish liberal. Big surprise there.

Posted by Under God, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Jun 9, 2014 at 3:03 pm

Thank you, Proud American. Everyone should care about the sacred symbol of our great country.

I'm happy to report that The Pledge of Allegiance is, indeed, recited each morning at schools I've observed, and the words "Under God" are included, just as they should be.

Mistreatment of the flag is steeped in a great deal of irony. The freedom that allows the thoughtless few to mistreat the flag are represented and guaranteed by it. Still doesn't make it right or easy to watch.

GOD BLESS AMERICA!

Posted by William Tell, a resident of Birdland
on Jun 9, 2014 at 3:16 pm

Comment deemed inappropriate by Pleasanton Weekly Online staff)

Posted by patrick henry, a resident of Amador Estates
on Jun 10, 2014 at 7:25 am

(Post removed by Pleasanton Weekly Online staff as irrelevant to this thread.)

Posted by William Tell, a resident of Birdland
on Jun 10, 2014 at 8:16 am

(Post removed by Pleasanton Weekly Online staff as irrelevant to this thread.)

Posted by patrick henry, a resident of Amador Estates
on Jun 10, 2014 at 9:05 am

(Post removed by Pleasanton Weekly Online staff as irrelevant to this thread.)

If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.

To post your comment, please click here to login

Remember me?
Forgot Password?

‘Much Ado’ or is it Adios for ObamaCare?
By Tom Cushing | 41 comments | 1,248 views

Backpacked with care is back

Be a sport: Send us your youth sports news, scores and photos
By Gina Channell-Allen | 0 comments | 78 views