Amador Fails AP students

Original post made by Amador Parent, Another Pleasanton neighborhood, on May 29, 2014

My daughter, a junior at Amador, called me at the end of school today, Thursday 5/29, and was barely audible. With great effort she told me that due to a complete failure on the part of Amador staff, she and several other students would have to "retake" any/all AP tests taken a couple of weeks ago. The students in question were part of a group who had to take the test in one of several "portable" units.
According to the letter sent home, "After an investigation of the testing rooms, Educational Testing Service (ETS) found that in testing room P-3, students were not seated the required 5 feet apart and not all students were seated facing the same direction. ETS found the same situation for certain students testing in Room P-7." Regrettably, because your child's seating for those exams did not comply with test administration policies and procedures, those exams will be invalidated."

I am livid! The time and effort these kids put into studying for these high level exams would exhaust any scholar. To simply brush it off as a "mistake", and reschedule 12 exams starting Monday is inexcusable! How does Amador expect these students to be anywhere near as ready for these exams a second time around. It's simply not possible to recreate that same intensity.

My blood is boiling....I don't know if I can express in words how I feel about the complete failure of this Administration. Our kids deserve better!

Posted by liberalism is a disease
on May 29, 2014 at 6:16 pm

liberalism is a disease is a registered user.

I'm so sorry you had to directly deal with the incompetence of the teachers giving these tests. They obviously are too busy with other pressing issues to understand the requirements for AP testing (like union organization, filing grievances against administrators, etc.)

Posted by Also angry
a resident of Grey Eagle Estates
on May 29, 2014 at 6:17 pm

My child is devastated. She said that at the meeting the principal was placing the blame on the college board. He needs to take responsibility for what he has done to these students. My child spent hours and hours preparing for this test. We paid tutors and we purchased test preparation material for what? For her to be in emotional turmoil? It's the last week of school. She has finals to prepare for and she must re-prep for the AP tests? What is happening at Amador Valley? This is not how I envisioned the end of her senior year.

Posted by Incompetence rules
on May 29, 2014 at 7:04 pm

Who can be held accountable for this? In my opinion the new Amador principal . . . Most people think Foothill got the better administrator. I wonder if they will also be found to have testing irregularities or if this is Amador only. My child does not have to retake tests but his friends are very upset. (Comment partially removed by Pleasanton Weekly Online staff)

Posted by Incompetence rules
on May 29, 2014 at 7:17 pm

Cholo stuff does happen. But this is gross incompetence. These tests are high stress and costly. My child and the others will survive but the stuff happens attitude is unacceptable. We expect excellence from our schools and are getting tired of the inadequacy. I notice you live in Livermore, it's fine if stuff happens there for your kids but not for mine, that's why we send them to school in Pleasanton. It used to be better here, now there's just an "oh well" stuff happens attitude. I hope that there is swift and decisive action taken to punish the incompetent staff involved with this fiasco.

Posted by Mickey
a resident of Livermore
on May 29, 2014 at 7:38 pm

(Post removed by Pleasanton Weekly Online staff as irrelevant to this thread.)

Posted by AVHS student
on May 29, 2014 at 7:39 pm

I am a senior. I took 4 AP's and have to retake 3 next week. It was a lot of work and I'm upset that the people at AVHS responsible for administering the exams didn't even bother to check the seating rules - it's not like ETS keeps them a secret. What guarantee do we have that the re-take scores will not be invalidated as well? Go Dons!

Posted by AV Mom
on May 29, 2014 at 7:47 pm

This is a complete failure. I'm disappointed in the administration at Amador. I plan on attending the parent forums and hope that many join me. This puts a huge damper on the senior celebrations. We scheduled my child's graduation party for next Sunday. He now has to study that weekend for an ap test he has to retake because the Principal did not bother to read and understand the rules for seating. I thought he had a PhD you would think he could figure that out.

Posted by chumba
a resident of another community
on May 29, 2014 at 7:47 pm

(Post removed by Pleasanton Weekly Online staff as irrelevant to this thread.)

Posted by Cholo
a resident of Bonde Ranch
on May 29, 2014 at 7:53 pm

(Post removed by Pleasanton Weekly Online staff as irrelevant to this thread.)

Posted by Right
on May 29, 2014 at 7:56 pm

(Post removed by Pleasanton Weekly Online staff as irrelevant to this thread.)

Posted by Cholo
a resident of Livermore
on May 29, 2014 at 8:00 pm

Correction: Taxpayer CHUMPS!

Posted by AV Teacher
on May 29, 2014 at 9:07 pm

Just to clarify, teachers have absolutely nothing to do with the testing environment during AP testing. We are not allowed to proctor the tests, and we are busy in our own classrooms teaching the kids who are not testing while the tests are administered. We are as sickened by this as everyone else. We have invested much of our time preparing kid for these exams and want them to do well. So PLEASE do not make this a teacher and union bashing issue.

Posted by AV student
on May 29, 2014 at 9:11 pm

The teachers do not work on AP testing. This is not their fault at all. I saw one teacher crying today she was so upset by this. It's unfair to all of us.

Posted by huh
on May 29, 2014 at 9:24 pm

Ok, so if the teachers aren't accountable for this mistake than who is? Someone at Amador has to be responsible with knowing the rules and proctoring the tests. So who is it if its not teachers? That's one of the problems is that there doesn't seem to be any accountability!!

Posted by Very Unhappy AV Student
a resident of Amador Valley High School
on May 29, 2014 at 9:39 pm

AP testing is more stressful than finals in my opinion. I am one of these students who has to retake their AP tests and I could not be more unhappy. How can this be expected when I turned my textbook in about 2 weeks ago? I find it interesting how Amador can send out a personalized "goodie bag" to each AP student before their tests, but they can't arrange the desks properly.......... Maybe if "Dr. Dreshcer" our *awesome* principle (who I've never heard speak) took time away from his phone screen, he could have realized this problem in the testing rooms and had it resolved before the situation escalated into what it has now become. 400+ students now have to deal with this added stress of retaking their AP test plus studying for finals and, in some cases, the June SAT and ACT. Im just out hear trying to make my voice heard. I'm not happy. I don't think anybody who has to take these tests again are happy. And I'm sure they're teachers aren't happy. Thanks college board for this one, you always now how to keep students on their toes.

Posted by Right
on May 30, 2014 at 12:03 am

(Post removed by Pleasanton Weekly Online staff as irrelevant to this thread.)

Posted by second priority
a resident of Amador Estates
on May 30, 2014 at 6:56 am

(Comment partially removed by Pleasanton Weekly Online staff)
I am very sorry to hear about your daughter's AP issue. I also have a Junior in High School. But I yanked my child out of the PUSD system and placed my child in a private school. Was the best move we ever made.

To post your comment, please click here to Log in

Remember me?
Forgot Password?

Bandwidth and the spinning wheel: Net neutrality
By Gina Channell-Allen | 4 comments | 1,167 views